Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 6:59:10 PM EDT
Other than small arms, what type of weapons are at their disposal? Do they have artillery? Radar guided anti-aircraft systems? Tanks?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The Taliban military makes post Gulf war Iraq look like a world superpower...

About 500 old tanks (like T-55s)

About 20 crappy planes (like Mig-21s)

And an assortment of artillery, RPGs, and maybe some Stingers that probably don't work anymore

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.  I remember something about Stingers being given out to the rebels (now the Taliban) when they were sighting the Soviets in the early 1980's.  I guess a lot were never 'turned in' at the end of the war...  Gee, what a surprise.

Check out early 1980 issues of [u]Soldier of Fortune[/u] magazine./  They had a lot of info and were often in Afganistan to cover the whole Afgan/Soviet conflict.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Suicide bombers.

^
[size=1]Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL
Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.[/size=1][url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
[size=1]Revelation 13:18[/size=1][url]http://www.digitalangel.net/da/tech.htm[/url]  

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
im sure they have stingers. then they may have stuff they captured from the sovites in 1980. that dosent make much. oh, but they do have camels.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
A good camel can spit and knock out a tank at 10yd
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
When was the last time 19 Christans flew planes into the WTC?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
All the stuff they have was left over from the Russian army in 1989 (for the most part).

They have a good knowledge of their own land.

A hatred against Americans.

Their military planes have been enough to cause havoc in parts of china and other neighboring countries...

Would YOU want to send ground troops in?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All the stuff they have was left over from the Russian army in 1989 (for the most part).

They have a good knowledge of their own land.

A hatred against Americans.

Their military planes have been enough to cause havoc in parts of china and other neighboring countries...

Would YOU want to send ground troops in?
View Quote

Which is exactly why you have to go nuclear.

Send in ground troops after about 1000 years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which is exactly why you have to go nuclear.

Send in ground troops after about 1000 years.
View Quote

Your darn tootin!!

Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#12]
the worse thing we can do,is under-estimate our opponent.The afganis have respect for our forces power,and they are trying their best to get ready.We should NOT get into a false sense of security because they are "primitive" compared to our forces.They are combat hardened,and well trained.I hope our forces realize this,and not to let their guards down.
Under-estimating your opponent is one of the worse thing you can do to YOURSELF.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The have the will, nothing to lose and a tenacious fighting sprit. That alone is half (if not more) the battle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
[left]yea these afgan folks are more hard than iraqs troops were, the iraqs were dumb enough to go  toe to toe with us big mistake! but afgans we send in troop's "hum were the F are they?" then for about awile this seems way to easy than bam ambush after ambush never toe to toe.[/left]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
"Ground War in Afghanistan--how bad could it be?" [grenade]

[uh-oh]

I for one am convinced that all the nearby Islamic countries will just sit back and not funnel weaps and ammo into Afghanistan. [whacko]

Anybody 'member Somalia?  Determined 3rd world countries *can* occasionally put up a decent fight.  Ask the Brits and Russians how easy it was to kick Afghanistan's @ss.  I can remember looking at old 1980's copies of SOF magazine and thinking, "Wow, those Ruskies were just a bunch of damned fools to get wrapped up in a ground war in that country.  I sure pity them..."

We need to just waste Ben Laudanum and his Funky Bunch before they get any kind of a chance to chew our troops up.  Just waste him, declare victory, and get the hell out.

It's called not playing their game.  Make them play *our* game, inch Allah.  

disclaimer:  Could be that the US CAN do what the Ruskies and Brits were unable to do[actually decisivly defeat the Afghans in a slugging match], but I just don't want to find out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#16]
They have a homeland security chief...

[img]http://pongopix.com/upload2/dcar61/bigbro.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Borrowed from Assultweb.  

[img]www.cxp.com/dave/afgan_army.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I just recently spoke with an Afghan (he supports the Northern Alliance) who left Afghanistan not too long ago. He said that the Taliban has been stock piling weapons for years and that they have enough to keep a war in full swing for several years. Don't let 'em fool ya, Usama bin Laden has helped to bankroll these weapons purchases (straight from the camel's mouth so to speak), so not all of their weapons systems are ancient and unreliable. Weapons aside, I would be more concerned with the man behind the gun than the gun itself. They showed us over a decade ago how fierce and determined they really are. As an ex-Air Force member, I would rather just "Nukem till they Glow!"

Stand tall.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Nuke "em from Orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When was the last time 19 Christans flew planes into the WTC?
View Quote

When was the last time 1 Muslim blew up the Federal Building in Oklahoma, City?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
www.cxp.com/dave/afgan_army.jpg
View Quote

[i]- The link is the pic above, no reason to make it appear twice. -[/i]

Mercedes should be using that in a comercial!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
There was an article in Parameters on the Afghan military a while ago.

The high end technical stuff like aircraft is not very well maintained, and there isn't much of it. It would be quickly destroyed on the ground or in the air.

There are probaby still a few Stingers around, but they haven't been maintained in 10 years. Let's hope our military contractors build shoddy equipment.

Basically, we should have free run of the airspace above the range of light AAA. If we get together with the Northern Alliance and have a few FACs on the ground, it should be difficult for the Taliban to mount a conventional defense with massed forces. From news reports it seems that most of the battles so far are glorified company and battalion affairs.

Support for the Taliban is a big question mark. They gained power mostly because everyone else was tired of fighting, and the Taliban were willing to pay large bribes to co-opt the opposition.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Borrowed from Assultweb.  

[img]www.cxp.com/dave/afgan_army.jpg[/img]
View Quote

GOTTA ADMIT, UNIMOG'S ROCK!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
On CNN today, they said that the Taliban has 13 war planes, didn't say what kind.

Last night on one of the news shows, an American military consultant who worked with the Afghans when the Russians invaded said they had mostly old Warsaw Pact stuff (i.e., AK-47s) until the Americans gave them the Stingers that they used to shoot down Russian choppers. All I've ever seen on TV news film is AKs and some old rocket launchers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Nuke'em...Let's nuke the bastards.

[rail]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#26]
 Afghan military ....what do they have?
View Quote

One less province to defend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#27]
they have plenty of places to hide
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Umm, people Britain fought Afghanistan in the 19th Century when every soldier had a 6 Foot Long Bolt Action Rifle with 5 Rounds of ammo. Now, the Russians fought in a more modern era. But, they still fought in the Pre-Smart Bomb, Night Vision, etc. era.

We have Smart Bombs Russians didn't.
We have night vision, Russians didn't.
We have air power, Russians didn't (Because of Stingers.)
We have allies, again the Russians didn't.

Both had to fight their wars entirely on the ground. We will fight in the air and ground. We will bomb the hell out of 'em forever like we did Iraq, then we will come in with ground troops and sweep up whatever's left.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#29]
BTW, there is a nice article in this week's Globe. It says the U.S. can intercept one of Bin Laden's Sattelite Phone Calls and use the signal to guide a Cruise Missle up his ass.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
According to the CIA:

Military branches: NA; note - the military does not exist on a national basis; some elements of the former Army, Air and Air Defense Forces, National Guard, Border Guard Forces, National Police Force (Sarandoi), and tribal militias still exist but are factionalized among the various groups.

Military manpower - military age: 22 years of age

Military manpower - availability: males age 15- 49:  6,645,023 (2001 est.)

Military manpower - fit for military service: males age 15-49:  3,561,957 (2001 est.)

Military manpower - reaching military age annually: males:  252,869 (2001 est.)

Military expenditures - dollar figure: $NA

Military expenditures - percent of GDP: NA%
View Quote

[url]http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/af.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Life expectancy at birth: total population:  46.24 years

male:  46.97 years

female:  45.47 years (2001 est.)
View Quote

Isn't Osama 47 ? Let's make sure he doesn't outlive his countymen.

note:  the Taliban uses a plain white flag
View Quote

They are surrendering already.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Like it or not, they have guts and the will to fight face to face if they have to. Don't take any of them too lightly or you risk getting shot in the ass when they catch you trying to run away from them.

They have the financial means to buy weapons from the Soviets and any other arms broker. There is big money to be made in arms sales and the Soviets are financially strapped. When there is money to be made, there are no enemies, only potential clients. It would be a mistake not to take into consideration the possibility that the Taliban has been buying arms from the Soviets and anybody else that has them for sale for several years now.

The best way to find out what they have is to go and check it out for yourself first hand, courtesy of unc. Sam. Send a post card or keep us informed if you go.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Levi- What gives you the idea American troops will be running away? Or is that your little fantasy you have at night after your mommy tucks you in. Those brave Taliban fighters, they fight face to face, not like those cowardly Americans. I would ask if you ever served but I already can figure out the answer from the crap you spew.
And your military analysis is just as enlightening. The Soviets will supply the Taliban regime with weapons? You mean the same Soviets who have been supporting the northern opposition forces for the last 5 years?
No enemies,huh. The Russians see the Afghan opposition forces fighting the Taliban as the best bet for preventing the spread of Islamic fundamentalism in Central Asia and Chechnya. They have plenty of enemies.
Next time you choose to post your love of the terrorists army, at least have a thread of credibility in your statements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top