Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 1:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2001 2:10:54 PM EDT by Santyth]
Been looking for a tactical shotgun recently, and I found what seems to be a great deal on an already customized Remington 870. My big question is, what's the difference between an 870 and an 870 Express? [>:/] Are the same sort of parts / accesories available for both?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:31:11 PM EDT
Here's some info on the acuction:
Rem 870 Express customized tactical shotgun. Very good condition. A few minor coppery spots on top of barrel. Here's a list of accessories. Synthetic Speed Feed Combat buttstock, synthetic forend, 6 shot sidesaddle shell carrier, extended magazine tube, 8 shot capacity total, 20 inch factory IC barrel with rifle sights, rear sling swivel and front barrel and extension band with swivel
View Quote
It's got no bids, starting at $250 and $15 shipping.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:42:53 PM EDT
C'mon guys, this auction ends in 4 hours! Help!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:45:54 PM EDT
As far as I know, the only difference is in the wood and the finish on the steel. The expense in making the Wingmaster comes in the nice wood and the polishing and blueing of the steel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:48:59 PM EDT
I think that is a pretty fair deal. The Speedfeed stock sets are the best quality out there. The other accessories would be worth $50-80 generally speaking. 20" IC w rifle sights is a very good setup IMHO as it will pull double duty as a nice slug gun. My 870 is set up almost just like the one you describe. Major differences between regular 870 and Express is a kind of parkerized finish on the Express and the fact that the Express' mag tube has to be somewhat modified to add an extension. There are 2 little nipples that extend into the tube to retain the original tube spring cap, that have to be drilled or ground out to allow for the rounds to slide into the extension... A very simple process that took me 5 minutes. Apparently that has been done to the gun you are considering. One thing to keep in mind is that 870 HD models (home defense) are available around $250-280 new. Sounds like a good deal!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:53:58 PM EDT
I'd jump on it. It sounds like it has almost the asking price just in accessories. I have an 870 Express HD and I love it! The new ones apparently have some kind of lock mechanism, so you're probably better off with an older gun anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:57:10 PM EDT
Awesome, thanks for the input. I went ahead and bid. Assuming I win, can anyone reccomend a speed feed stock that also has the pistol grip?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:08:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Santyth: Awesome, thanks for the input. I went ahead and bid. Assuming I win, can anyone reccomend a speed feed stock that also has the pistol grip?
View Quote
I bought mine from Cheaper Than Dirt, but I'm not sure if they still carry Speedfeed. Brownell's does, if all else fail. Expect to pay around $90-100. It definately improved my 870! [img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/fv/kv/9u/YJ84635.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:18:34 PM EDT
Nice setup Gus! I got the shorter Speedfeed without the shell holders, I figured my sidesaddle was enough and I like the tight length of pull. Very nice stocks. I used a Scattergun Tech extension, large head safety and left side sling mount to round it out. Now I need one of those SWEET ASSED "night suns" you have there!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2001 3:27:49 PM EDT by gus]
I'm a big fan of Sure-fire fore-ends on any home defense shotgun, so long as it's used correctly. I'm still amazed at the amount of light that little bugger puts out! I've got an M500B on my LEGP, and with it I can clearly see and identify objects out to 200+yards in pitch darkness. You'd almost expect recoil just from the light coming on! My only complaint about the shotgun fore-end is that with my dry skin I had a hard time cycling the slide reliably. I applied a little traction tape (visible in the pic) and no more problems...
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:57:37 PM EDT
1:45 left, still the high bidder. But DAMN those surefire lights are expensive! $384?!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2001 7:04:51 PM EDT by gus]
Originally Posted By Santyth: 1:45 left, still the high bidder. But DAMN those surefire lights are expensive! $384?!
View Quote
I paid $175 for my shotgun light from Cheaper Than Dirt a few years ago, and $300 for my M500B of eBay a few months ago. Both were brand new. You have to shop around a little. Still expensive, but I think they are worth it if you get a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:08:29 PM EDT
Oh yeah, here's a surefire on cheaper than dirt for $194. Why would they have such a HUGE markup on their site, I wonder? And yes, I did win the auction. Thanks, guys.
Top Top