Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 12:57:51 PM EDT
"Afghanistan Is Like Nothing You've Ever Seen, Soviet Vets Say"

"Strategy: Soldiers who fought there warn the U.S. to expect daily deliveries of coffins and few targets other than villages."

www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000075191sep19.story
---------------------------------------

your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Different objectives, different opponents.

We're not going there to occupy, we're going there to get terrorists.

Soviet war = us backing, many muslims coming in from out of country to help. many afganis had weapons

This time = no allies who are going to fight. no military backing. Taliban has confiscated guns from 90% of the country.

Taliban members are starting to do some looting. Afghanis are fleeing, not staying to fight. Taliban faces a decision: Give guns to afghanis who may use them against the taliban, or hold onto the confiscated guns.

Of the two sides to be on, I don't think many sane people would choose to be fighting for the taliban.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Good article. We must be wary of fighting in Afganistan, and we must remember the lessons of history. Here is another good article:

[url]http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old§ion=current&issue=2001-09-22&id=1108[/url]

Be careful that TheBeesKnees, questioning peoples ideas gets you in trouble around here. They will call you anti-semitic, racist, isolationist, moron, etc. Just ignore those people, they aren't smart enough, or they don't want to think about the problem. They just want revenge.

Edited to add:

In almost every war that has been fought, the Superior forces always think they are going to win, that it is going to be an easy victory, that it is going to be quick, and that casualties will light. And that never is the case. Desert Storm might be the one exception.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
"Don't do it like we did. Don't do it like you did in Vietnam," he said. "Don't listen to me if you don't want. Listen to your own people, those who fought in Vietnam. . . . They'll tell you the same things."

Excuse me sir.  Some points to consider.  

The Vietnam War was unpopular with the general population.  This time payback is VERY popular.

The Vietnam War was fought with draftees.  People are rushing to JOIN the military to dish some payback this time.

We gave much assistance to the Afghans during their conflict.  Without Stingers and almost real time intel, Soviet forces might have pulled it off.  No such support is available for them this time.

From a military tactical point of view, we kicked the Vietnamese into the dirt.  It was a political decision to abandon the conflict.  We "chose" not to win.

However he is right in that we should not do it "Russian style".
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
 I received from my brother the  movie         " The Beast " one day before the WTC was attacked . Spooky coincidence or what ?
 Muslims from all over the world went to Afghanistan to fight the Soviets .
Might the same thing happen to us if we stayed to long ?
 Seems like I recall the Brits taking some lumps there too .
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
... this "war" will be fought at the worlds banks. We'll make terrorism a miserable business to be in.
Although the al-Qaida is primary funded by Bin Laden the organization has a lot of Muslim sympathizers.
However, once these "shortly to become bankrupt" groups have trouble funding terrorist acts on American soil their motivation to cross the seas will dry up.
Sure, they'll still fire their AK-47's into the air and burn flags & effigies but they will become disorganized.
Once they begin to realize that the "point man" always gets dispatched (figuratively speaking) they'll destabilize and the effort to go after Americans (read as on American soil targets) will wane.
Then they will resume fighting the "infidels within" again.
Kind of helps the problem take care of it's self ;)

(spelling)
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a lot of landmines left-over in Afgan.

_
FS
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's another good article-

More Bad News

[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/dieteman/dieteman94.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Where is "board code"?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I say send the ATF and FBI HRT over there first.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where is "board code"?
View Quote

It is right under the box where you make your reply. This is the first time I have looked at it. All kinds of good info. there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where is "board code"?
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/help/code.html[/url]

It's right above the 'submit' button when making a post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I say send the ATF and FBI HRT over there first.
View Quote

[size=3][red]LMFAO[/red][/size=3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
There is merit to listening to what the Soviets have to say.  It is my opinion that joint efforts with the Northern Alliance forces would be helpful.  The first story posted shows how hard it is find and distinguish your adversary.  The accounts of the style of terrain over there are going to make things more dangerous and complicated.  These people will rally harder with every single casualty we have.  Loss of life on their side means nothing!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000075191sep19.story
Wow if you cut and paste the address it works just fine..I think I lost about 2 seconds by not having a link...oh well thats what forums are for...spending time...
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is merit to listening to what the Soviets have to say.  It is my opinion that joint efforts with the Northern Alliance forces would be helpful.  
View Quote

That may not be the case.  The Northern Alliance isn't exactly pro-American.  They may use us to further their cause, but if they take power it might not be any better than the Taliban.

We must choose our allies carefully.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I received from my brother the movie " The Beast " one day before the WTC was attacked . Spooky coincidence or what ?  Muslims from all over the world went to Afghanistan to fight the Soviets . Might the same thing happen to us if we stayed to long ?
Seems like I recall the Brits taking some lumps there too .
View Quote

One major difference this time is Afghanistan's neighbors are closing their borders with Afghanistan, which may make it more difficult for other people to make their way in. Iran has a large border, and they are not with the game plan, so that is the likely direction from which other Muslims would enter the country. During the Russian thing, it turns out that the largest number of people who took up the cause came from Saudi Arabia. Someone was obviously funding their travel, and if we can track down the source of that funding, it would spoil their game plan.

So, while the military is planning their attack, it's extremely important that we identify the source of funding, the banks that are holding those funds, etc., and make it known that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. In fact, it may be dangerous.

Everything I'm hearing on the news and from the think tanks leads me to believe our plan is to remove the Taliban from power. I don't know who we'll put in their place and how we will ensure another "Bin" doesn't come along 20 years later.

But I think if we start going after the funding and the banks, we'll put a major dent in their plans.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That may not be the case.  The Northern Alliance isn't exactly pro-American.  They may use us to further their cause, but if they take power it might not be any better than the Taliban.

We must choose our allies carefully.
View Quote

I agree, please note I only said joint efforts, my statement was focused on getting the guys we want.  After we do that - [b]Trust no one!![/b]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There are a lot of landmines left-over in Afgan.

_
FS
View Quote

Alright.. That will give me something to do then.. :)

Smalls

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top