Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 9:24:45 AM EDT
Had an SKS for a while, got messing around with it the other day, and finally tried a detachable mag that had been sitting on the shelf for awhile.  Mag worked ok, but I don't really care for the way it hangs down, only real use I could see is a SHTF where more than 10 rds could be useful.  However, it is a several min job to change out the fixed 10rd for the detachable mag.  My Question is, would it be better to invest in a detachable 10rd for normal use, and keep the higher caps on hand for SHTF, or dump the hi-caps, and invest in more stripper clips ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
like he said, more stripper clips if you don't like it hanging down thats one thing another being that you are the first person I've ever heard say they had no problems with a detachable mag on an sks. I know when I had mine it would fail to feed every 10 15 rds same with anybody else I've known thats had one. If you are thinking of trusting it as a defensive gun get out and shoot it some more to be sure of it, who knows you might just have that one in a million detach mag.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep the fixed mag for SHTF. It is the most reliable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input, guess I will sell off the detachable mag, and stick with the fixed.

BTW anybody want a 30rd SKS mag cheap ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, guess I will sell off the detachable mag, and stick with the fixed.

BTW anybody want a 30rd SKS mag cheap ?
View Quote

If it works and you enjoy it why sell it? Just use it for the range. I use one of the "plastic" 30rd mags on one sks and the box mag on the other. I sure is a lot of fun to unload that 30 rounder in rapid fire, and cheaper than an AR to. I just wouldn't use the 30rd when my life depended on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Gentlemen prefer strippers.

That 20 round fixed mag is a nice idea as you won't have to shoot the gun dry to allow the loading of a full 10 rd stripper clip.  Except in Canada, where due to gov't regulations we have to wriggle a finger into the center of the full 10 round clip then load 'em 5 at a time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought 3 30rd's for my SKS and they all work great. I have never had any problems out of them. They are a pain in the a$$ to change out in a hurry and I can't even think of it under fire.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a 30 for mine a few years ago, Got it all loaded up & locked in fine. Pulled the bolt back after admiring my kewl purchase, and all 30 came right out the top.
Wasnt the first time I returned to a gun show, same day & pissed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I always found the fixed box magazine and the stripper clips to work better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought an SKS that takes regular AK mags. I cant find much info on the damn thing other than stay the hell out of Kalifornica with it. Whats up with this? Anyone else have one? How well do they work? Are they going to burn my house down?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top