Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 8:22:25 AM EDT
Hi all
I was at a local gun show this weekend and i was looking into buying another ar.  everything that they had there was preban.  i understand that a preban you can do certain things like have a collapsable stock, bayonet and screw on muzzle brake or flash hider.  now is twice the cost of the rifle worth a collapsable stock?  am i missing the whole point of a preban?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends.
I bought my Bushmaster before all this nonsense.
It came out of the box, brand new with a CAR stock, Flash hider and bayonet lug.

I just bought a 1979 Colt SP-1 AR15, the original, for $936 ($1000 with tax). He was asking $1350, I talked him down.
To me it's worth the collector value.

If I was short of cash and wanted to buy  my first AR, I would get a Post-ban Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a post ban now, but I would love to get a pre-ban SP1. Maybe when I have too much cash.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
It mostly just depends on the features and whether they mean that much to you. YOU have to make the call.

Everyone has always said that the ban was a joke and it pretty much was. This is because the weapons, in a post ban configuration, are just as usefull as they were. The extra features were things that looked wicked but don't really make much of a difference to the typical user. There is always the collector value though and that is mostly speculative and personal in nature. Gees, that didn't really help much did it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Wanted an AR I could add what I wanted to. Wanted a compact package for car/boat.
Wanted CAR stock...it happens to feel fine 2 me.
"As new" example was just exactly what I wanted.
Just my 2cents.   Stay Safe
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Pre bans are great if you :  
1.  Plan to do a lot of bayonet assaults
2.  Have to resell the gun in a few years - BUT then you probably shouldn't fire it much as this may decrease resale value.

IMHO - buy a good Bushmaster or used Colt, spend the extra $600 on 2000 rounds of ammo, spare mags,  and a good scope or sight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2.  Have to resell the gun in a few years - BUT then you probably shouldn't fire it much as this may decrease resale value.
View Quote

Pre Bans are ALSO great if having a collapsible stock is important to you, for example if you have a smaller person that also shoots (adjustable to fit) or if you want a rifle that's easier to manuever in a close environment.
If you shoot in low light or with Night Vision Gear (I don't) then the flash supressor is a must, or else the basketball plus sized fireball out of your post ban will definitely affect that. You can add a post-ban Muzzle brake device, but these don't appreciably reduce flash and make the gun LOUD AS HELL depending on style.
My best .0223 worth is to ignore the sweeping "pre bans ain't worth the extra $$$" and flippant "bayonet charge" comments, and determine what your anticipated shooting style will be, and if pre ban features fits into both those plans in such a way as to justify the added cost. If not, then a post ban Bushmaster would be my recommendation. If you think a preban IS what you need, keep your eyes peeled for a good deal. Good Luck with your choice!
Edited 'cause I ain't no typist!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
lojack22172, I bought a pre-ban AR 'cause I wanted a rifle that i could customize w/o worrying about running afoul of rules.

I just removed my "birdcage" fs and installed a Bushmaster "Vortex" because I [i]felt like it[/i]. No worries about infringing on some regulation.

Plus, if some congresscritter wanted to pass further domestic AW regulations, they would probably use '94 as the demarcation point. i.e. there is a line already drawn there  .  .  .  
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IMHO - buy a good Bushmaster or used Colt, spend the extra $600 on 2000 rounds of ammo, spare mags,  and a good scope or sight.
View Quote

I agree that a post ban is probably the best route to go. However, I disagree that the pre-bans are a good long term investment. The Assault Weapons Bill will sunset in 2003, and Bush has indicated that he won't sign a renewal.

I think that the hysteria about guns will have declined some by then and that Congress won't be inclined to attempt to override a veto.

With a few exceptions, people are realizing that the government can't and won't guarantee their personal safety. In good old American spirit, though, people aren't giving up and giving in, but are deciding to take their safety into their own hands.

Tachyon
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]
IMHO I would get a post-ban Bushmaster, then wait until 04' and at very least in the lapse between the AWB and it's replacement you can put anything you want together. (and that's just the worse case scenario, in all likleyhood there won't be a replacement)

[rail]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Get what suits you the best.
Keep in mind if the AW ban isn't renewed your $1200 rifle will only be worth $600, if that much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Just one more benefit of a preban.  If you EVER want to buy a silencer and throw in on a AR. It HAS to be a preban.  You cannot put a silencer on a postban weapon.

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just one more benefit of a preban.  If you EVER want to buy a silencer and throw in on a AR. It HAS to be a preban.  You cannot put a silencer on a postban weapon.

View Quote

Where can you get a silencer?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally I think that all those who waste the extra 600 buck on a pre-ban will be kicking themselves in the ass when the AW ban sunsets.As far as the benefits of spending that much extra for a pre-ban,THERE IS NONE,only the benefit(for the time being)of going around saying "I've got a PRE-BAN!!!"
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Where can you get a silencer?
View Quote

Many places.  Mine is from [url]www.gem-tech.com[/url]  There are other places.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#19]
When the AW ban hit in `94,I was caught without an AR. I had owned several prior to the ban, but was "in between guns". Right after the ban took effect, I bought a post-ban Bushmaster for around $750. Shortly after that I bought a pre-ban PWA for $700. Since then I have bought another two post-bans including the LEGP at $660 plus accessories. Just before the LEGP, I bought a pre-ban Oly for $800.  My point is, they only cost $600 more if you must own a Colt or are not willing or able to shop around a little. Even if you are a Colt fan, you can still buy an SP1 for under a grand if you shop. Personally, I don't think Colt has ever built a civilian gun that's worth more than a grand, yet I see the A2's prices at $1400 and up for used samples. If they are better, they are not THAT much better to be worth all that money.
Just a little food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When the AW ban hit in `94,I was caught without an AR. I had owned several prior to the ban, but was "in between guns". Right after the ban took effect, I bought a post-ban Bushmaster for around $750. Shortly after that I bought a pre-ban PWA for $700. Since then I have bought another two post-bans including the LEGP at $660 plus accessories. Just before the LEGP, I bought a pre-ban Oly for $800.  My point is, they only cost $600 more if you must own a Colt or are not willing or able to shop around a little. Even if you are a Colt fan, you can still buy an SP1 for under a grand if you shop. Personally, I don't think Colt has ever built a civilian gun that's worth more than a grand, yet I see the A2's prices at $1400 and up for used samples. If they are better, they are not THAT much better to be worth all that money.
Just a little food for thought.
View Quote

I agree on all points. Many pre ban manufacturers with lesser known names are just as good as Coltand IMHO, some are better. Although you can even find preban Colts for 800 or a few bucks more. (I paid 890 for an A3 Flattop Comp HBAR preban last month, and at the most expensive shop in town...GO figure) But that illustrates the point you made that you don't have to sell your firstborn to afford a Preban.

Oh, and a side note to all you guys that think the AW ban will be allowed to sunset...Set your alarms a bit earlier, 'cause you're still dreaming.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Bushmaster post ban right now, however, I have been in the market for a pre ban. When the price gets right I'll buy one. My father paid $800.00 for his PWA. He was in the right place at the right time. Good things come to those who wait. My $.02.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't think the difference in quality affects the price difference between pre-ban Colts and the others. I believe it is because Colts are easily verifiable as to their pre-ban status (no letters from the manufacturer needed).
View Quote

I disagree. It's only because of the gee-wiz factor of the gun saying "Colt" on the side.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Krime Bill sunsets on September 13, 2004, and George W. Bush has indicated no such thing.

The only hope of an extension bill NOT hitting W's desk is if the Congress wins a SOLID Republican majority in the 2002 elections.  Otherwise, Democrats will make it a huge issue on the 2004 elections, which take place 7 weeks after the ban sunsets.  If an extension bill makes it to his desk during the campaign, he'll sign it.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy speaks the truth!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Simple explanation:

1. take your post ban outside anytime between dusk and dawn

2. drop the hammer on a loaded round

3. wait 20 seconds for eyes to marginally adjust after being subjected to  the one quadrillion candlepower sunburst that just blew out of your muzzle

Tate
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I went with a Colt pre-ban lower (even though I prefer Bushmaster) just for the fact that it is easily verified, and I don't have to keep a letter of authenticity and worry about losing it.
View Quote

I agree that is an advantage, but I don't think that is why the prices for Colts are so much higher. If that were so, SP1's would also be a lot more expensive.  I still think it's a status thing to have a Colt AR15A2.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh Gawd, not this again.  If you want to spend the extra for a preban and can afford it, do so.  If not, don't.  Don't try to ridicule those who prefer either, which seems to come more from those who can't afford prebans.  I have both and they are all good.  Get one of each.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#29]
The AW Ban will not sunset, it will never go away, if you want a preban and the neat features that they offer, you had better get one because I don't think the prices are going to go down.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Hi all
I was at a local gun show this weekend and i was looking into buying another ar. everything that they had there was preban. i understand that a preban you can do certain things like have a collapsable stock, bayonet and screw on muzzle brake or flash hider. now is twice the cost of the rifle worth a collapsable stock? am i missing the whole point of a preban?
View Quote

Pfffft.. NO!!

Personally, I'm saving the extra cash for TRAINING!

As for muzzle flash at night-experiment with different types of ammo to see which has the lowest flash signature... There's a thread somewhere in these forums about the best ammo to use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh Gawd, not this again.  If you want to spend the extra for a preban and can afford it, do so.  If not, don't.  Don't try to ridicule those who prefer either, which seems to come more from those who can't afford prebans.  I have both and they are all good.  Get one of each.
View Quote

Ditto...

There's a myriad of similar posts that you could have easily searched. Let's close this can of worms before it gets out of hand. If you got the cash then get whatever you want. If you're a bitter, money deprived college student waiting on tables with angry fists in the air who can't stand the idea of other people having more expensive toys than you then by all means go with the economical choice. It's just money, afterall. Geesh!

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Let's not forget you van put a sound suppressor on a Pre Ban.[8D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Or you could join the army and use a full-auto.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Personally I think that all those who waste the extra 600 buck on a pre-ban will be kicking themselves in the ass when the AW ban sunsets.As far as the benefits of spending that much extra for a pre-ban,THERE IS NONE,only the benefit(for the time being)of going around saying "I've got a PRE-BAN!!!"
View Quote

I've got a Pre Ban!!!   [;D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Or you could join the army and use a full-auto.
View Quote

Or you could not join the Army, save up, and buy a full auto.  It's always an option, unless of course you want to join up, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#36]
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Each have their uses.

If I wanted to be able to build a CAR-15, preban.

If I want a 20" AR for a ranch gun, postban.

_
FS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top