Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2001 9:46:52 PM EDT
I have it narrowed down between the following three.

(Not in any order)

1. Beretta 92F Stainless Brigadier 9mm - About $550, but I could get some ammo, and a few hi-caps to accompany it.

2. Kimber Custom Target, or Stainless Target in .45ACP. About $750

3. Bushmaster XM15 E2S A3 profile 20". About $750 also

Now for some background info:

The only handgun I have ever fired, and done quite a bit of, was a Colt Diamondback .22LR.  Should I work up to the .45, and go with the 9mm?

And I do not have an AR, so, of course that one is in the running!!!

Thanks, and any other suggestions welcome!

Floater!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the AR.  There is no need to build up to a 45.  With a high quality 45 you wont have tons of recoil.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
No question about it, get an AR.  Though $800 may get you a new postban rifle, you'll start spending more $$$ on accoutrements, mags, the list goes on[;)]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
A way to prioritize gun buying:
1. What do I NEED, not just want, RIGHT NOW?
2. What do I want that is most likely to be banned by some idiot?

Ask yourself these two questions. If you have no immediate need (like you just got a ccw permit and need a concealable handgun), then go with the AR.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad I dont have to make that decision! Actually, I did and I chose ALL THREE! It just took two years to make it happen. Your real choice is "Which one do I want NOW?"

PS Want overrides need everytime!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm glad I dont have to make that decision! Actually, I did and I chose ALL THREE! It just took two years to make it happen. Your real choice is "Which one do I want NOW?"

PS Want overrides need everytime!
View Quote

You're correct there, want does over-ride need!! hehehe...

but, the thing is, I want all of them.. lol.. the exact same amount!!

God I hate making these kinds of decisions!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you now need to decide which one you want the most. Then build from there. The bad thing is no matter which you want the most, a short time later, another want will come into play. With me this happened about 10 months and 6 guns ago. [bounce]

Good luck on your decision.

Jamie
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a good AR first. This will be the centerpiece of your weapons. You never know when they might become unavialible with the traitors we have running our government. Better to have than say "I should have bought the AR first". In fact I would buy first AR then a spare upper when u get a chance to and save spare upper for bad times. Train with one and have another for reserve. Once you get one you will want another eventually.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
How about saving it?  The way the economy is looking at the moment, you might need it for food or shelter next year. . . .

Unless, of course, you're gunless now.  Having [b]a[/b] gun (note emphasis on "a") is an investment in safety.  Having a bunch of toys . . . right now, not such an important thing IMNSHO.

Even if you do need to get a self-defense handgun, you could get a decent, functional Norinco 1911 for about $350 and save the other $450 for a little ammo and a rainy day.

But it's your bucks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:10:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any other rifles? If not, I would go with the AR first simply because it's multi-functional. You can hunt with it, use it for self defense, scare the neighbors, all those fun things. :)

In the worst case scenario you may need something to put food on the table and I don't believe the handguns will do it unless you can get very close to the game (like at the zoo).
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
As for other rifles, I do have a Ruger M77 All Weather .308, and a Marlin .22LR

BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top