Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2001 7:27:31 AM EDT
Ok I've read that everyone should be able to take about 300 rounds for the AR in cases of a "tactical withdrawl", but I would need a pack animal for that many rounds of 308.  So how many rounds, 100, 200 what?

Worldskipper
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Battle packs run 140 rnds. Start there and add what you can carry.
EDIT- Just a thought...Blackhaws omega tac vest holds 6 mags and with a mag clamp you can have 160 rnds just on your immediate person, ready for reload.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#2]
If I'm hitting the strip mines for a day of shooting I can only stand about 7 mags for the M-14S(that's one in the rifle and 6 mags in 3 pouches). That's 140 rounds and heavy when you include the pistol, mags, and ammo as well. I  put two bandoleers in the ass pack also two canteens on the belt in the hot summer. I'm 6" 200# and stronger than average and I wouldn't want to carry much more and try to have fun as well. Sure, 5.56mm is lighter but that just means I carry 13 mags instead of 7. So I end up with the same weight, maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't you know?

That's why they make BIG ASS Pickup Trucks here in America.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Twenty round mags realistically hold 18 rounds.

Therefore:
One 20 rounder in the rifle
Two 20s in two pouches on web belt
Five 20s in small backpack
and Two boxes packed as well

Total: 184 rounds. Plus one in the chamber for a total of 185. I cannot see the average person carrying more than this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HMMMMM... Not for nothing, but has it occurred to anybody that 8-rd Garand clips weigh almost nothing compared to the EQUIVALENT in 20-rd .308 mags?
View Quote

No, but then you'd have to use a Garand...

Personally, I'd rather use an SKS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why use an inaccurate, mid-power Commie rifle when you could ue a full-power, battle-tested AMERICAN rifle.  Better yet, re-barreled in the universally available and still cheap 7.62 NATO? And also mount a Vortex flash suppressor AND a bayonet legally?
I'll bet I can load a Garand with the equivalent number of rounds FASTER than an SKS with its 10-rd stripper clips.
Don't bet against me, I've done it.
View Quote

Since you've brought up the idea of a tricked-out Garand, let's examine this...

1) A Garand in .308 is much more desirable than either an SKS or '06 Garand. Edge to Garand.

2) Both the Garand and the SKS have bayo lugs. The SKS comes with the bayonet too. Even.

3) If you can put a flash suppressor on a Garand, you can put one on an SKS. Even.

4)Most people, with a modicum of practice, can load TEN rounds into an SKS in the same amount of time as EIGHT rounds into a Garand. At the very least, the time per round would be the same and the extra 1/4 to 1/2 second spent on the extra two rounds with the SKS stripper clip does not add any more time per round. I call it even.

Conclusion:
A Garand in .308 is slightly more desirable as a SHTF rifle than a comparably equipped SKS.
When you factor in the added weight of the .308 ammo, that edge is diminished even more. Both rifles are quite reliable, but I believe SKSs are slightly more reliable in the worst conditions. Now how much of an edge is there?

A Garand in '06 is, in my opinion, not as good a choice as a comparable SKS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
PS-

I forgot to mention that any Garand is significantly heavier than the typical SKS.

For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, the reason I was asking I just got a DS arms STG58A, with a 21 inch barrel and wanted to get an idea about load out.  Haven't shot it yet (crying) but will next week.

Worldskipper
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Definitely buy an FAL. It is a great battle rifle.

raf-

Yes, the sights on the Garand are better. They should be as the range of it ammo is greater. I can't give the Garand the edge with sights, only range and penetration of cover b/c of ammo.
Edge to Garand.

Note: most combat with firearms is conducted at ranges of 150 yards or less. At that range, the SKS gives nothing up to a Garand.

About the bolt-open question, silly me, I cannot remember, although my best recollection is that it does hold open. It has been a while since I fired my Russian. FALs, ARs, M1As, Sigs and other types of arms have crowded out the SKS for the last few years.

raf-
Wouldn't you find common ground with me if I said an M1A overshadows both the Garand and the SKS?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#17]
SKS stays open on the last shot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SKS stays open on the last shot.
View Quote

Thank you for the confirmation. I thought so.

raf-
This discussion has been enjoyable. It is moot, however, b/c I would "grab and run" with neither. An AR or FAL would be my first choice.

WG signing off for the night.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well. Wob, I appreciate your trying to find common ground, and I've enjoyed our back and forth.  you sound like a good guy.
Now, here's where I differ.  My friend and I had the same question: Which is quicker to reload, M1 or M1A?  What we did was to agree to fire for score at 100 yds using 80 rds each.  guess what? Both rifles were so close as to be practically even.  (OK, I'll admit it, M1 was a tad faster, and I shot a wee bit better).
I also have to say that the M1 is a bit more robust than the M1A, especially under rough conditions.  My source? A guy named John Jordan, who shot both in Bosnia.  He was in SOF magazine a few times.
Don't get me wrong, the M1A is a fine rifle, it's the $50 mags that piss me off.

View Quote

I piss you off ???

Oh, you meant the Mags!!!

M1A-A1 out [:D]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top