Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2001 12:10:03 PM EDT
Last night I watched a documentary about Turkey (the country, not the bird) off the satellite "Freedom Network" or whatever it's called.  Actually, it was about the Kurdish situation there.  But it highlighted the kinds of human rights abuses that take place when a population is disarmed and at the mercy of the state.

The atroicities committed on Turkish citizens, especially the Kurds, have been unimaginable.  The pain and suffering are immense.  The sickest part is that our own government supports Turkey because we have airbases there.  The commentator said "the US practices a sort of sliding scale morality around the world."  

I don't know how we have been so lucky so as not to suffer as badly as the people in other parts of the world have.  I truly think it is at least partially due to the fact that weapons are so common and easy to obtain here.  That's not news to anyone who frequents this board.  

This has happened during our time, on our watch.  The Clinton Administration is largely to blame, but so is everyone of us.  We've let them do all that they've done.  We've let it go by each and every time.  Now it is going to be done to us becuase they know, or think they know, that no one will fight back.  Most Turks hate the Kurdish rebels, they have been brainwashed to support the state at every turn despite all the evidence to the contrary.  I see the same situation beginning here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never figured out how the government can disarm the populace when, despite billions of dollars flushed down the toilet in the war on drugs, a vial of crack is easier to obtain than a .22 rifle at Wal-Mart.

No government seems to be able to figure out they cannot repeal one of the basic laws of economics:  where there quantity demanded, there will be quantity supplied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top