Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 5:28:31 PM EDT
I heard from a local dealer that Winchester and
Remington were trying to buy back 5.56 and 9mm ammunition from its distributors. Is the military demand such that they will be hard pressed to meet it? Anyone care to speculate on
this?
Regards,
DRC
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
1. The dealer is trying to justify an increase in their prices
2. The dealer wants to motivate you to BUY  MORE AMMO NOW!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well they did have a shortage of 9mm last year.  But that was just dollars that they were really short of, Winchester and Remington really had enough on hand to cover if they could only pay for it. Lack of money also kept Lake City idle- though I am not sure it makes 9mm these days.

There are other, better, places to go like IMI or Nammo rather than trying to pull the stuff off of store shelves
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
"Sniff,Sniff"

Smells like bullshit to me..
Automated machinery can crank out those cartridges faster than most weapons can fire em..
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Dosen't the military use 62gr bullet and most of civie stuff 55gr.  I think someone's leg is being pulled
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have hundreds of thousands of tons of ammo socked away - and that's just AR15.com members! Imagine how much the military has [:D]
View Quote

[beer] [:D]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have hundreds of thousands of tons of ammo socked away - and that's just AR15.com members! Imagine how much the military has [:D]
View Quote

[beer] [:D]
View Quote

and God has blessed us with DILLON products too.[beer]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
do not know if this is true or not but just remember during the gulf conflict the price of primers was way up if you could even find them. if this is a prolonged afair beware the military will come first!!!!!! and they should!!!  if winchester and remington get large orders for ammo from uncle that is where the primers, powder and bullits will go first. I do see the ammo in bulk like .223 starting to be bought up just ask any dealer in loaded surplus ammo and they should confirm this. if the manf. of the ammo still makes it the increase in demand alone should cause some shortages as it took almost 2 years for the primers to get back to normal.
anyway setting up at the denver show selling surplus this weekend at tanners have kevlar helmets and vest plus mre's and bdu's and alot of that money will be spent on good ammo and primers and the such. anyway enough to get me threw a couple of years of shooting with out having to worry about it. already have around 5,000 rounds of misc. around for the weapons but friday set up day will be devoted to stocking up on primers, sierra and hornady bullits and some powder. have not been selling mags lately and should get a few more tommorrow.

the ammo and stuff does not eat much so why not stock up maybe a couple thousand more pieces of brass also. be safe and do not be the one that said I wish I should of spent that couple of bucks when the prices were still low.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
On the Dillon note..... During the Gulf War primers were very scarce...  But I have plenty.
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If times get tough, I'd be happy to FedEx a case of .223 to the front lines. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes it's true I just read it on the cover of the enquirer at wal-mart!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes it's true I just read it on the cover of the enquirer at wal-mart!
View Quote

I think it also said something about Elvis owning a burger joint in Poplar Bluff Missouri....hmmm, enquiring minds want to know
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The primer scare occured not because of military demands, but because Lloyd Benson - treasury secretary - wondered out loud if ammo could be made with a 2 year shelflife to prevent hoarding (aka arsenal building).

People took an immediate interest in reloading, and primers were the item that can't readily be made by the DIY'er.  

What a twit.  As well as the people who made the supply vanish even after assured it was just a rumor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top