Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2001 4:53:52 PM EDT
With general aviation (visual flight rules) still grounded, I am unable to work. Its not a real hardship YET... because at this time of year I am usually prepared for some off-time due to hurricane season. In fact, I really have only missed 2 days of work thru this thing because Gabrielle would have grounded us anyway.
I check the FAA website several times a day and the rumor mill but there still is no word as to when we will be allowed to fly. Its starting to get scary.I can last for a while on savings and the credit cards if I have to or get another job but the not knowing is killing me. Who else is jammed?(Believe me I am aware that many are worse off)BP
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
[b][i]"Boeing to lay off 20,000 to 30,000"[/i][/b] (Commercial)

... However, we'll probably need that many skilled workers for building fighters and bombers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Two of our daughters work for a national corporate travel agency, instead of being laid off, they will have a 10% paycut and no quarterly bonuses. This will hurt their families, both have recently moved from apartments to homes.
So even in North Dakota, we feel the effect.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel your pain, literally.  The wife offered to go to work and let me be Mr. Mom.  We will see.  I have a feeling that I might get tired of even this board after a while.  It's awful how we let 18 suicidal assholes affect this country.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Last I heard between Boeing and the airlines we're looking at 100,000 layoffs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It really sucks to see so many people out of work because of what happened.  The short term is looking bleak for sure, maybe it will turn around.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not been allowed to fly traffic watch since the incident.  As of last night traffic watch, news gathering, balloon flights, banner tow, and tourist flights for hire are still prohibited.  Damn terrorist, this is getting very personal.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
VFR is released as of last night.  With the above exceptions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]
it has been a long while since i have posted, to many problems to list but.....my girlfriend who is a pastry chef in new york is out of a job. it makes life VERY hard since her x refuses to pay child support (yeah, his time will come with the dead beat dad law). the apple is having a pretty rought time about now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.faa.gov[/url]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
cnatra, thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Aviation industry isn't the only one being affected. I work in the automotive industry as a supplier to the Big Three here in the Midwest and we are going sour too. We just idled 4 lines yesterday and we have over a million dollars of product just sitting on our docks because our customer cut all the production numbers. Rumor says that layoffs are going to start Mon. including big cuts in salary. My dept is already three people short and the work justkeeps piling up too. Either way, its gonna be a bumpy ride to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I can tell you for sure, that I won't be buying any new cars soon.  Or anything else for that matter. (except for ramen noodles).

We will all be affected in some way by the loss of consumer confidence.

It's such a Goddamned shame that a one day attack can knock this country so off it's feet.

What happened to the Nation that beat the Nazis and the Japs?  I sincerely hope that we have not become a nation of cowards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#15]
with the way things are going, people are going to be wary of sinking a lot of money into building a new house so that means i will not be laying very many brick. this summer has not been that good anyway in this area, not many new houses going up. we have only been doing small room additions and garages lately, which is ok. but it doesn't look good right now.
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What happened to the Nation that beat the Nazis and the Japs?  I sincerely hope that we have not become a nation of cowards.
View Quote

What kind of statement is that? Are you suggesting that Americans went on a shopping spree immediately after Pearl Harbor? Or that more carefully contemplating purchases and being a bit more fiscally prudent in light of what has occurred is a sign of cowardice?

My wife and I just bought a new car the Saturday before the attack. I'll be making some significant ammo purchases pretty soon, too. At this point we don't plan on any major changes in our lifestyles, but we are squirreling most of our money away to help pay for our oldest daughter's college education, which begins after the first of the year.

My wife is an employee of the Boeing Commercial Airplane Group the the Everett plant here in Washington. She has a fair amount of time in and we don't think that she will be impacted but there are no garuantees. As a railroader, my line of work is heavily dependent on trade and the continued free flow of goods and commodities so I don't know how things will play out for me. Fortunately, I too have enough seniority that I feel pretty secure and if there is a significant war effort, railroads have historically been kept very busy playing essential support roles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I own a computer business here in Oklahoma, I am getting ready to loose about 30% of my military customers.  I do not mind loosing these customers, just as long as they make it back safely.  Although it is putting me into a new business frame of mind, hope we all make it through ok.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#18]
My job will be on and off now. I'm a contractor in MIS services (computers) at one of the National Weapons Labs located at an Air Force Base. The base went to Threat Level Delta last Tuesday and Wednesday. When that happens our facility closes. The DOE employees get paid when that happens, contractors are out of luck. We expect to go to delta again, maybe next week. It could get pretty bad depending how often we go to "Delta".
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Boomer----I said I HOPE this nation has not become a nation of cowards.  I was not referring to our spending habits specifically.  Just stating that I HOPE people do not start overreacting.  
We as a people have been very sheltered for a long time, so I HOPE that we still have the stomach for a long, painful war if is necessary.

I was certainly not referring to anybody on this board because we are not the ones I worry about.  I worry about the types of people who vote for Hillary and Chuck.  Get it?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top