Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 7:18:05 AM EDT
ok, i've got my bdu's and boots and gloves and all that rigging, my question is, which is better? camo face paint sticks, or a balaclava/face hood, hunting mask thing. i don't have any paint, my sis told me halloween paint is itchy and comes off quick, but i have tried a black bala with just an oval for the eyes (no mouth opening) and my bush had with brush stuck in the band on the hat. in winter and colder times i would wear the bala, obviously, but what about summer,

guys in the military, your feedback...
guys that hunt, with the  mask, your feedback...

i wnat to be well camoed. i have 2 bala's, both black, should i try to find a dark green one or what? plus no one around sells the camo stick.

i know i went on and on, but i was thinking about it in class today.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Any decent sporting goods store should have camo face paint in several colors. I keep a few tubes around. After it dries I really can't say I've noticed any itching from them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don't use that crappy facepaint. Go to an archey shop and get a "spandoflage" headnet.
View Quote

I have to agree. The object is to break up the outline. Paint doesnt do this. I would paint the face with good old GI issue face paint and then use the spandoflage or other netting.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Show me your photos!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I also recommend the GI issue camo sticks. The camo is a little harder to apply than the civilian grease paint, but will stay on longer. Problem with civilian stuff is that it wipes and sweats off easily. A couple tricks of the trade I learned in the military are as follows. Of course darker on raised areas of face. Use a lighter to heat up stick then apply (wait a few seconds unless you like the burning wax sensation [;)]). We used to use issue "Bug Juice" (insect repellent) to remove camo when needed. I have never use spandoflage, but worry about disrupting hearing while moving and you becoming overheated while moving. Any good Army Surplus store should have the GI camo stick.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure the "sticks" are obsolete.  The compact kits with the small mirror are supposed to be pretty good and much easier to apply.  Remember that the purpose of face camo is to break up the EXTREMELY recognizeable shape of the human face.  When done properly your mother won't recognize you.  Don't forget the ears, neck, nostrils, eyelids, hands or wrists if wearing gloves.  Any exposed skin can give you away.  A black mask won't break up the shape of your head, it will only make it dark, and it will do nothing for the exposed skin around your eyes.

There are several good sources online for proper camouflage.  Hoodlums were masks so that you can't tell who they are.  Warriors simply aren't seen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the compact kits with the littel mirrors.

It does nto bother me after it dries.  It does get icky in really hot weather though.

Does not taste bad either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the "sticks" are obsolete.
View Quote

Not true. We still use the sticks on active duty. The compacts cant be put on as thick as the sticks. I still think netting is better because the paint doesnt break up the outline. All you have is a green face thats still the same shape as a head. I made a hat out of a boonie cap and sewed strips of burlap to it. It kind of looks like the old elephant hair the 7th ID used to use on their helmets.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I stand corrected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top