Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2001 5:53:33 PM EDT
Question, does anyone have any information on the Robinson M96 Expeditionary rifle?  It is a modified Stoner design and I was wondering if it is a good rifle?  Please advise.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
its a verry good rifle imho. ive never had so much as a hiccup, when i pull the trigger it goes bang each & every time!
also i can change barrels with a push of a button without loss of zero and its modular i can change to a top fed bren configuration or add a carbine barrel and soon to come a belt fed configuration (cant wait!![:p])
i highly recomend the m96 its my favorite .223 rifle even over my m4gery and other ars
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Any Idea when the belt fed option will be released?
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this an AR variant?  Do you mean the uppers are interchangable or the barrel is QD like the steyr aug?  If that is the case, how do you maintain a safe headspace dimension?
Just wondering...
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
turok, its not a ar variant its based on the stoner 63 (used by navy seals in vietnam)check out this web site for more info
www.robarm.com
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It's an excellent rifle. Belt feed? Who cares? If you want to spray lead, get a shotgun. If you want to get into a discussion about when the belt feed is going to be available, go the the M96 page on bighammmer.net
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine- never have any problems and it's extremely comfortable, ergonomically, when raising from rest and when firing.  Don't ask me why, but to me it just feels really good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I do some welding for them and just traded out some work for a carbine barrel assy.  Really cool.  I'm going rabbit hunting this weekend to try it.  A friend of mine is their engineer and he's fired an M-96 without cleaning until the bullets tumbled through the target with no malfunctions.  I still want a belt-feed, and every other gizmo they come up with.  I think I'd trade all of my other semi-autos for this one!  (In CA do you have to break belts up into ten round strings?) Kind of pricey but a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, it is the finest thing since sliced bread!
I sent my barrel down to Kurt, and had his KKF"Stoner Break" installed. To me it is the finest shouldering weapon I have ever tried. It is truely a first class weapon, from its carefully thought out design, to the selection of high quality materials, to the modular construction.

Alex Robinson has a forum over on AK-47.net, yesterday when asked what was next on the drawing board, he stated that a 9mm conversion was the next item he would like to add.(Personally I wanted a 5.45x39 conversion, but I don't own the company). The only down side I can see to this weapon is the price tag, but personally I would rather have 1 very high quality weapon, than 3 average.

I guess to answer your question, do I like it...Oh yeah!

Oh, I forgot, he also said that the next time he orders plastic he is going to get some green furniture in!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#9]
re: the M96 -

Quoted:

also i can change barrels with a push of a button without loss of zero and its modular i can change to a top fed bren configuration or add a carbine barrel and soon to come a belt fed configuration (cant wait!![:p])
View Quote

Of course, we've been thru this before, and this comment will get me flamed (Don't get me wrong, I thinks its a very good rifle)

...but how incredibly silly is it to be all giddy about being able to "change out the barrel" on a rifle that doesn't even had an elevation adjustment on its rear sight?????

"ooohhh, I've got a bren config on my rifle, but I can't hit anything past 150 yds, cuz the bullet drops into the ground with my fixed elevation."

Its like a guy who has this sports car that can do 180 mph, but he can't start the thing because the battery is dead.

This is NOT meant as a flame of M96 owners, just a gentle nudge to the guys at Robinson Armament. Its like a $50,000 car with an AM radio. I [b] CAN'T BELIEVE [/b] someone would charge $1,200 - 1,400 for a rifle that DOES NOT have an elevation adjustment.

You guys make a great rifle, but a .223 without an elevation adjustment is a CQB ONLY rifle. For that, I can get a $200 shotgun.

Shocking. Simply shocking.

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Garandman is right.  A rifle in that price range without an elevation-adjustable rear sight is kind of silly...interchangeable barrels or not.  I like the look and technical descriptions of the M96, but until it has a proper rear sight, I'll take an A2 any day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Garandman is right.  
View Quote

Now I KNOW the Apocalypse is upon us, as we found something to agree on!!!!!!!!!  [:D]

Seriously, I'll get an M96 WHEN they put something a little more technologically advanced that an A1 sight on the thing.

Heck, even an M1 Carbine has at least a slide ramp elevation adjustment on it. And that was built over 60 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top