Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 8:53:39 AM EDT
I work MIS for a local ISP, and we and a few of our customers got slammed by a new computer virus this morning.  As far as can be determined at this point, the virus was first sighted this morning, one week after the WTC attack, almost to the minute.

It has been christened Nimda and affects Windows web servers.  The full effects are not yet known.  the virus is spreading automatically across the web much faster than any previous virus.  It can also be transmitted by e-mail.  Be on the lookout for e-mail attachments named README.EXE.  They may contain the virus.

For those of you running web servers, you can determine if you have been infected by looking for a file in your root directory called 'admin.dll' which may or may not be hidden.

That is about all we have on it right now. Just thought I'd pop on and warn everyone, especially considering the timing.  I hope it's not related to WTC, or it may just be some copycat jerk, but this thing looks like it might be big, considering it infected completely secure (or so we thought) servers and is spreading like wildfire.

I gotta get back in the trenches.
-Admiral Crunch

[Edited because I can't spell when I type fast]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
For the first time in awhile, I received one of those "I am asking your advice" this morning.
I'm sure more will be coming....
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
That explains why my zonealarm has been hit 90 times in three hours.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The virus is called Minda.  For more info go to the McAfee Web site link below.

[url]http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99209&[/url]

I would love to personally get my hands around the neck of those who do this shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link to a CNN article on Nimda that was just put out:

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/09/18/internet.attack.ap/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My firewall is getting clobbered.  The company is having problems too.  This is worse than CodeRed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top