Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2001 4:43:25 AM EDT
SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. -- A 3-year-old boy fatally shot himself with a handgun his [b]father said he brought into the house for protection after the terrorist attacks,[/b] police said. Maj. Howard Smith of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Department said the [b]gun was hanging on a window curtain rod above the child's bed.[/b] Kyle Edwards Phillips was flown to Children's Hospital in Washington, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The boy apparently began playing with the semiautomatic weapon and accidentally shot himself in the neck about 11 a.m. Saturday as his mother slept in a bedroom across the hall, police said. Police did not know if Matthew Phillips bought the gun last week or already owned it. Smith said no one has been charged in the shooting. Social workers took Kyle's 1-year-old sister, Nathalie, into custody Monday as police investigated. Copyright © 2001, The Associated Press
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:44:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FullRange: SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. -- A 3-year-old boy fatally shot himself with a handgun his [b]father said he brought into the house for protection after the terrorist attacks,[/b] police said. Maj. Howard Smith of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Department said the [b]gun was hanging on a window curtain rod above the child's bed.[/b] Kyle Edwards Phillips was flown to Children's Hospital in Washington, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The boy apparently began playing with the semiautomatic weapon and accidentally shot himself in the neck about 11 a.m. Saturday as his mother slept in a bedroom across the hall, police said. Police did not know if Matthew Phillips bought the gun last week or already owned it. Smith said no one has been charged in the shooting. Social workers took Kyle's 1-year-old sister, Nathalie, into custody Monday as police investigated. Copyright © 2001, The Associated Press
View Quote
Why is it there seems to be no limit to the level of stupid in people?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:48:00 AM EDT
Is it just me or does this seem way too stupid? You buy a firearm to protect your family and hang it on a curtain rod over your 3 year old childs bed? What a dickhead!
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:54:56 AM EDT
I'm sure Sarah Brady, Osama bin-laden's biggest ally in the USA, will be making a statement about this shortly. "Disarm us all, and make us safe!" Yeah- make us safe for terrorists..... Gun? Curtain rod? WTF?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:53:05 AM EDT
As the father of a 3yr old I can't imagine living with myself after being so stupid, and MAN WAS THAT STUPID!!!! "No where is a safe place for my loaded gun?" [thinking] Nuckles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:56:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2001 5:55:55 AM EDT by Stealth]
Loaded firearm in a 3 year olds room? WTF..... Might as well give the kid a hand grenade and tell him not to pull the pin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:41:59 AM EDT
This sounds very fishy. Like someone had a 3 year old they didn't want anymore. Otherwise, this is the stupidest person on the face of the earth.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:04:50 AM EDT
As the father of a little girl who just turned 3, I can't understand how someone could be so mentally anemic that they'd do something so stupid. My little girl has been able to say "Guns are not toys, they're dangerous!" since she could speak sentences. Hell, I think that was the first sentence she ever said. I've left my guns out unloaded and ammo locked up during cleaning and she won't go near them without me, and she just turned 3 this month. That's what proper education gets you. This story is either fake or extremely sad. I hate to hear that a child loses his/her life because of a parent's stupidity. God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:18:42 AM EDT
A few thoughts... 1/ this is very sad 2/ daddy is an idiot! 3/ mommies in the bed at 11am?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:28:18 AM EDT
Careful with your comments until more facts are known. I agree with GodBlessTexas that this may be a case of reporting the WRONG information. Hasn't this happened before in the media? I tend to think (based only on the storylines given) that the child had possession of the firearm and hung it on the rod himself. I too, can't understand why a child of that age would have access to a loaded or unloaded firearm. Where was the father during this?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:39:34 AM EDT
This is the danger of giving the average man/woman on the street who is very casually interested in firearms a gun. These people are interested only when there is a threat or crisis, i.e. a riot, a rapist in the 'hood, etc. During a crisis, it is not a good time to learn about guns, considering the extreme pressures and concentration required. Many novice shooters believe that they can pick up any gun and shoot it competently, some can, but most can't. Since these "urban cowboys" know little of about guns; and what they do know, is learned from watching too many movies, and too much television. That is why during the height of this crisis, I recommend these novices take a formal instructor-led class on firearms handling where people can learn about a gun under calm, controlled, & rational conditions. Of course the crisis will be pretty much over by the time that happens. Here is where I sort of agree with HCI, about being a danger to themselves. Just having a gun is not a lot of help in protecting yourself, if you really don't have any experience handling it. That is why people must remind ahead of the curve and not wait until there is a crisis before learning how to handle a gun, but this is against human nature unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:47:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By schnacke: This sounds very fishy. Like someone had a 3 year old they didn't want anymore.
View Quote
Just thinking the same thing. Daddy gets off less time in jail, and blames it on the "improper storage of his loaded gun". Child dead, murder charge acquited. God Bless America.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:52:21 PM EDT
Sad, sad thing. And this will come back on all of the safe people.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:33:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GodBlessTexas: As the father of a little girl who just turned 3, I can't understand how someone could be so mentally anemic that they'd do something so stupid. My little girl has been able to say "Guns are not toys, they're dangerous!" since she could speak sentences. Hell, I think that was the first sentence she ever said. I've left my guns out unloaded and ammo locked up during cleaning and she won't go near them without me, and she just turned 3 this month. That's what proper education gets you. This story is either fake or extremely sad. I hate to hear that a child loses his/her life because of a parent's stupidity. God Bless Texas
View Quote
"This story is either fake or extremely sad." Even my 3 year old is smarter than this. For sure!
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:36:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:43:25 PM EDT
This guy is obviously not a serious shooter. He needs a moment of clairity in the boxing ring.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:54:10 PM EDT
Bullshit. Homicide needs to sweat Mom about this. Anything can happen but this isn't the greatest story ever about how a kid got shot. My money is on dude ADed, hit the kid and boogied afterwards. At the least this is a fatal supervision problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 3:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2001 3:08:02 PM EDT by GC456]
Originally Posted By schnacke: This sounds very fishy. Like someone had a 3 year old they didn't want anymore.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly! [:(!]
Top Top