Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 6:46:45 PM EDT
I saw some film of a Special Forces team this morning.  They were all carrying M4 Carbines but several of them had different accesories attached.  So what are all the SOPMOD accesories?  Will someone please direct me to a detailed web site explaining them all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
the may 2001 guns and weapons for law enforcement has an article on the arms sirs system and in that article on page 45 i covers the requirements for the sopmod block II upgrades for the m41a and m16a1. it won't give you specific new toys but it does give you an idea of what they are trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
EDIT:  They're not letting me link it like a picture (probably 'cause it isn't), so here's the link:

[url]http://www.specialoperations.com/Weapons/M4.html[/url]

And this is old.

Like vortac said with the SIR, there are new "accessories" out there for the AR15/M16 family.  Though I'm not certain that the SIR rail system has yet been adopted by the branches, it's a safe bet to say that some of the high-speed low-drag units are probably using some of the systems.  As I understand they have pretty much free reign in how they accessorize their M4's.

This just gives you an idea of the adaptability of the weapons system and some of the things they're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The SOPMOD M4 Accessory Kit consists of:

M4A1 Carbine, 5.56mm NATO
Detachable carrying handle/sight
Backup iron sight, 0-300m range
Rail Adapter System (RAS) [b]OR[/b] Rail Interface System (RIS)
Forward handgrip
Visible Light Illuminator (VLI)
AN/PEQ-5 Carbine Visible Laser (CVL)
AN/PEQ-2A IR Pointer/Illuminator
AN/PAQ-4C IR Aiming Light
QD Sound Suppressor
ACOG Reflex RX01-NSN [b]OR[/b] M68 Aimpoint
ACOG 4x32 TA01-NSN
M203 Grenade launcher with QD mount
Modified M203 Leaf sight

havoc
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
HERE:

[img]http://www.rangerarms.com/images/TA-50/sopmodm4[1].jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Were's the M68 AIMPOINT ? ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a good start.  The guys I saw had different scopes though.  

What's the difference between the RAS and RIS?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Gee, sort of defeats the purpose of a lightweight, KISS carbine, doesn't it?  [;)]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Muad. The RIS is the first version, the RAS is a newer one. The RAS supposedly has better rigidity at the back and it is only for mil spec barrels. I have had coming to me here for a few months, it is in the mail right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Tuukka.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, since nobody else is commenting on this I'll ask another question.  

Which ACOG has built in bullet drop lines (for lack of a better term) calibrated to the 14.5" M4?

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which ACOG has built in bullet drop lines (for lack of a better term) calibrated to the 14.5" M4?

View Quote

It's the one pictured above, the TA01NSN.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!
Look at all  that CRAP!!!!

Beats me!
BUT
by P.O.E.
the reflex ([i]hint[/i]) sight is 0-300
which is also
standard for a BZO.
I'd rule that one out.

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone have a good high quality 1024x768 image of that SOPMOD poster they can e-mail me? The one I have is 640x480 and looks like crap when blown up as a backdrop.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
If you've got it, please send me a copy as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps anyone with a good, high quality scan could post it.  If not, I would also love to get a copy by e-mail.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep in mind these are [i]accessories[/i].

These allow you to configure the weapon for a specific mission requirement. You are not required to:

a)have all these accessories mounted at once

b)have any of these accessories installed, unless instructed to do so by team leader / unit command

or c)carry all these accessories on your person

The SOPMOD kit is issued as a roll-up pouch containing the items lited above, several of which are issued in pairs (suppressor, grip, RX01, etc.)

havoc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Havoc:

Who makes the roll up kit for the SOPMOD accessories?   I had heard it was Eagle Industries but every time I ask about it, they say that the customer hasn't finalized it so they haven't released it yet.  John Carver makes great kit (and in the USA to boot -- unlike some manufacturers).  If the pattern for these have been finalized, I'll be on the phone in the AM.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The SOPMOD kit is issued as a roll-up pouch containing the items lited above, several of which are issued in pairs (suppressor, grip, RX01, etc.)

havoc.
View Quote

There is NO roll-up pouch for the SOPMOD kit!!!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

havoc.
View Quote

View Quote

A "weekend visit" with SSGT *** *****, ODA 1965, C Co, 2nd Bat, 19th SFG, proves otherwise. I have seen it with my own eyes, and held it with my own hands.

If you'd like to see a picture of it, Trijicon has been running an ad in several "gun rags" with some pics of SOPMOD kit next to the M4. Check it out.

havoc
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Havoc:

Who makes the roll up kit for the SOPMOD accessories?   I had heard it was Eagle Industries but every time I ask about it, they say that the customer hasn't finalized it so they haven't released it yet.  John Carver makes great kit (and in the USA to boot -- unlike some manufacturers).  If the pattern for these have been finalized, I'll be on the phone in the AM.

Thanks.

View Quote

Frances: I spoke with Mr. Carver some time ago about the roll-up pouch, and a specialized M4 carry case. He said that Eagle had in fact built both in small quantities for certain higher-speed teams.

He also said that they were real close to having both available for sale to the public, but unfortunately that was some months ago. I emailed him about it recently, but never heard anything. I can't wait to get a couple... So let me know if you get any new info about availability (please, please, please...).

havoc
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

havoc.
View Quote

View Quote

A "weekend visit" with SSGT *** *****, ODA 1965, C Co, 2nd Bat, 19th SFG, proves otherwise. I have seen it with my own eyes, and held it with my own hands.

If you'd like to see a picture of it, Trijicon has been running an ad in several "gun rags" with some pics of SOPMOD kit next to the M4. Check it out.

havoc
View Quote

At this time the 19th SFG does not have SOPMOD kit!!! I don't know what you held in your hand, but there is no roll-up pouch for the SOPMOD kit supplied by the program office.  We can go ask someone in the SOPMOD Program Office about it. Oh that would be ME!!  There is not a roll-up pouch for the kit, each part has it's own pouch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At this time the 19th SFG does not have SOPMOD kit!!! I don't know what you held in your hand, but there is no roll-up pouch for the SOPMOD kit supplied by the program office.  We can go ask someone in the SOPMOD Program Office about it. Oh that would be ME!!  There is not a roll-up pouch for the kit, each part has it's own pouch.
View Quote

You say they don't have it? I saw and held it while I was there. Maybe they made it themselves? I don't know. You say no such thing exists? John Carver of Eagle Industries says otherwise. Don't have SOPMOD kit? Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. I specifically remember holding real M4A1's with RAS, QD M203, 300m sight, ACOG's, leaf sights, etc, etc.

If you are who you say you are, Email me, and we can continue the discussion. I will be glad to give details on who I am and why I was there. Otherwise, what's the point?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#23]
SOPMOD_TECH, give me some specs on this Night Scope.  I think it is AN/TVS-5 Crew Served Weapon Night Sight
[img]http://www.dynamicwave.freeserve.co.uk/arms/M4%20RIS.jpg[/img]

It looks like it weighs more than the rifle!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Muad_Dib:

That is the AN/PVS-4 night vision scope. It is 4x, GenerationII, has retciles for the M16, M60, AT-4, etc., and is largely available.

For more info:
[url]www.littoneos.com[/url]

havoc
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is a pic of my wannabe, I have a 40mm M203 on order as well as a Suppressor, and the Night Vision is on my list... Why you might ask? Well, the best answer I can give is because I can. [beer] Lets see some other members pictures...

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1058287&a=13737637&p=51308879[/img]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1058287&a=13737637&p=51308879[/img]
View Quote

I think I need to adjust the green tint on my monitor.  Everything seems neon except that bayonet handle. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you very much for the info.  If you ever hear that Mr. Carver has released these, please let me know so I can remind Eagle about my back order.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Frances
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#28]
JC what did you use to paint that rifle?

and do you find it resistant to solvents like clp, and does it stay on well?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top