Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 6:36:43 PM EDT
I have checked around (before the Attack on the WTC) and found I could bring my guns to the airport and check them as luggage as long as they were:

1) Unloaded
2) Securely Encased
3) Declared At The Ticket Counter
4) Bear A tag To Make Sure They've Been Checked

Now, recently this attack has led to a loss of rights in airports and I was wondering if this has affected my flights for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter all of which I have already booked a while back.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You just freaked me out dude!

I was going to post the same damn question.

Well, does it? Anyone
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Why should it? All the security stuff is for carry on luggage. The only change on checked stuff is that it cannot be curb checked in and they will probably (more and more) scan the checked stuff as well. If you declare it and it is unloaded, why should they care?

-elliott

(not freaked out at all, dude)
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've flown many times with firearms checked as luggage, both full auto & semi.

No doubt I will learn the new rules, if any, soon.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why should it? All the security stuff is for carry on luggage. The only change on checked stuff is that it cannot be curb checked in and they will probably (more and more) scan the checked stuff as well. If you declare it and it is unloaded, why should they care?

-elliott

(not freaked out at all, dude)
View Quote

Well, When I seen a photo from the Bluegrass airport that said "NO weapons allowed in airport" and three armed police standing right there. I think it may be hard to check a gun at the counter for flight being that you can't take it past the front doors. Maybe other airports are allowing it but here for now it's a no no from what I had seen.

glad you weren't freaked out, dude

cc48510 must had beat me to the submit button before me cause I had posted almost the same question that is all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You have the basic criteria correct.  This varies from airline to airline.  Some have limits on the amount of guns/ammo, others say ammo and gun in separate bags, some say hard-cases, etc.

Here's the basic rundown not including any changes the FAA is coming up with as we speak:

[url]http://www.angelfire.com/az2/zr1/firearmtravel.html[/url]

Individual airports [b]are[/b] going above that.  Such things as searching any car that arrives at the airport, requiring photo ID before even entering any part of the airport ticketing area, etc.

In addition to calling the airline 3 times and taking the best 2 out of three answers you get, call the airport once and ask if there's any special guidelines they desire.

Airline workers generally aren't gun nuts, so don't be surprised if you get a lot of blank stares.  And some airline's policies are a bit different from others.  One airline asks that their workers "inspect" the firearm (dumb, dumb, DUMB!) while other airlines specifically tell their workers never to handle a passenger's firearm or even ask to see it unless there's a different reason (maybe there's a sound coming from the bag, etc.)

- Robbie
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I too was concerned about the new policies.  I called ahead to Northwest to ask them this question.  According to them, the same policies applied as before.  When I got to the airport Sunday night to check in, I told the ticket agent that I needed to declare a firearm in my checked baggage.  No problems.  Nobody freaked out.  It was the same SOP as before the attacks - and I flew [b]a lot[/b] before the attacks with a checked firearm.

YMMV.  Doulbe check with the airline you'll be flying.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Went through Pitt. Int. Airport w/ two pistols on Friday and checked them just like always. She asked me if I wanted to carry on and I declined. It is the carry-on they are concerned w/. With your bag in the hold there isn't shit anyone could do without supplimental oxygen, besides once your in the pressureized cabin your there till it's down and deep'd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Last time I checked my .38 special onto a plane the woman at the ticket counter "inspected" it by pointing it at herself and looking down the barrell to make sure it wasn't loaded.  She wasn't too pleased when I swore and grabbed it out of her hand.  I'm not fibbing either...

My advice is you should call the airline, the  airports you will depart from and land in, and the local police departments to make sure you can bring it into the state/city (For example, its illegal in NY to bring a handgun into the state, even if you legally own it in your state).  Its a bitch but thats the only way to be safe.  Get names also and write them down in case there's a problem
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
"With your bag in the hold there isn't shit anyone could do without supplimental oxygen, besides once your in the pressureized cabin your there till it's down and deep'd"

You're right about not being able to do shit with your gun after it's put in the lower cargo compartments. But, you're wrong about the supplemental oxygen. All lower baggage compartments are pressurized and usualy have climate control(i.e. cargo heat). If not little fido would be an ice cube when he reaches it's destination.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
All lower baggage compartments are pressurized and usualy have climate control(i.e. cargo heat). If not little fido would be an ice cube when he reaches it's destination.
View Quote

Correctomundo!  It's much easier to design the aircraft being fully pressurized than to separate out certain areas.  And one of the cargo pits is designated as the heated area for pets. For example, the MD-80 heats the front pit.  The air comes in to cool the avionics and by the time it exits the avionics area it's warm where it then warms up the front pit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not heard about any changes in this policy, however, I certainly would call ahead first, as policies are changing so fast that even the workers are having a hard time staying current.

Two things worth mentioning,

There are tons of scared and twitchy LEO's hanging around with itchy trigger fingers.  So move SLOWLY and smile at them to show them that you are one of the good guys!

The ban on knives that you have all heard about is most certainly true.  I removed 4 from my bags, including the Mini Leatherman type tool and swiss army knife.

Overall, the situation at the airports is almost back to normal, so please book a flight.  The airline industry and indeed the country is counting on you.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top