Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 1:14:08 PM EDT
I am looking at opinions on a good knife to strap to my assault vest, also the pros cons of tanto blade vs pointed blade
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Ka-Bar.

Tough, pointed blade.  Field tested.  Good value for the money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Cold Steel Tanto. Nothing else is as strong. Makes a good tool and stays sharp. Can stick it through a car/truck top and on into whatever is right below it. Cuttlery Shoppe used to make different sheeths (including Kydex)for it as well, or any other knife you want them to.

The pummel is strong as hell too.

A pointier blade may be better for insertion but usually less strength.

It depends a lot on what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The best fighting knife I have ever come in contact with is the Gerber LMF.  This knife is very well balanced, has a contoured rubber handle, is stainless steel, has a very modular sheath(military style attachments as well as a belt loop), an excellent factory edge, and is fairly priced: under $120.  It is just the right size for mounting to a pack, vest, or wearing on a belt.  The one I have has a saw back on it and I don't believe you can get this model anymore.  The standard back are still available.  

Just my 2 cents....[flag]   [50]
[img]http://www.knifemart.com/images/gerber/5957lmf.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want the very best knife you can get then check out the Strider guys blades at www.striderknives.com

Strider knives are not cheap, but the do give the enlisted guy a price break.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are on a budget, I recommend the Cold Steel SRK. Thick tough blade, dark non-relective finish, non-slip rubber type grip. You can find one at gunshows for about $50, plus or minus a couple of bucks. A great buy for the money, I own one myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You should ask the guys at [url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/[/url]  I'm sure they'd be able to give you several ideas.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Ka-Bar, best bang for the buck.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My Randall and Brend sit in a box at home. The best field knife that I have found is the Glock knife. Cheap ($20.00) and more importantly, light!
Most likely, your probability of a knife kill is small that the weight is probably better expended on carrying ammo.
The Glock knife is soft metal and easily sharpened. It will bend before breaking and is great for tactical tasks.
Sheath is jumpable and very secure. Not as sexy as some of the other knives that I own but is absolutely the most functional in terms of use.
My .02. Hope it helps
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I was looking at the $100- 120 range I was thinking about the camilus CQB1 or the Buck tanto nighthawk
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Ka-Bar is the best for the buck. also look into SOG they have some good knives.  [sniper]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Randall and Brend sit in a box at home. The best field knife that I have found is the Glock knife. Cheap ($20.00) and more importantly, light!
The Glock knife is soft metal and easily sharpened. It will bend before breaking and is great for tactical tasks.
Not as sexy as some of the other knives that I own but is absolutely the most functional in terms of use.
My .02. Hope it helps
View Quote

I'll second everything there about the glock just like their pistols it's wun-der-ful. super easy sharpening. I'm going to buy a few more since we probably have a knife ban coming up.
though as far as fighting knife I dunno I've only used it on things that were already dead but it balances just like a ka-bar although lighter.

I used it and a rock to split wood once when I had not a hatchet with me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure your combat knife has a guard between the handle and blade. That way when you stab that f*cking rag.... ummmm.... terrorist, your hand doesnt slide off the handle and cut your hand apart. The human body isn't easy to stab unless it's in the gut.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone here ever heard of someone using their knife to save their life in combat?  

I asked 4 of my family members who served in combat and they all said the most useful knife they carried was the pocket knife (Swiss Army knife).  The second most useful knife was the bayonet which they used to open crates.  They never had to use the knife to fight and they didn't know anyone else that did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anyone here ever heard of someone using their knife to save their life in combat?  

I asked 4 of my family members who served in combat and they all said the most useful knife they carried was the pocket knife (Swiss Army knife).  The second most useful knife was the bayonet which they used to open crates.  They never had to use the knife to fight and they didn't know anyone else that did.
View Quote

You wanna take that chance in combat?

I sure as hell dont.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I would carry a one additional loaded magazine for the rifle (or even pistol) than a big heavy combat knife.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#20]
There are a lot of good knives mentioned. I would prefer the Cold Steel Recon Tanto or the SOG SEAL knife.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Now that you told us you're price range the best knife you can purchase is a Livesay Air Assault. I've got one and it's way way better than the Camilus, Buck, Kabar, cold steel or Gerber blades.

Check out Newt's forum at http://server3.ezboard.com/blivesayknives and his web page http://members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/index.html

He makes some of the best if not the best knives for what he charges.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I would use a Khukuri

[img]http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/images/largeviewsn1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/images/kenonion.jpg[/img]

You can get a Kukri at: [url]http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the Randall #1 it is well balanced and very quick in the hand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like the TOPS lines
[url]http://www.topsknives.com/[/url]

Steel Eagle knives have a Kydex(?)sheath that holds the knife firmly, even upside down.  There is also supposed to be a way to secure it further with a pin in the handle and some paracord.

This is high-carbon steel, which I like for easier sharpening, and it has a powder coating. nice fit and balance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Whatever you get, make sure it's full tang construction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#26]
If you study military history since the invention of the catridge-bearing rifle, the dedicated fighting knife/sword has faded into disuse for good reason.  Even during the American Civil War, soldiers often left for war carrying enormous bowie knifes and dirks which they soon ditched.  They just aren't worth the weight that could be used as extra ammo, extra rations, etc.
MY advice?  Get a decent quality sheath knife that doesn't weigh too much AND that can be used as a utility knife.  Don'ty spend too much on it, as it IS going to get the shytte beat out of it doing chores in a combat zone, you may have to ditch it, and it isn't at all unlikely that it may be stolen...perhaps by one of your own comrades.  You don't want to lose hundreds of dollars.
Also get yourself a good utility pocket knife of the SAK type.  Get a good one, not one of the Chinese copies.  The openers, little scissors, etc. are worth their weight in gold.
What I'm telling you to get is a good working combo that is good quality but inexpensive enough to replace as often as necessary..  You can still stab somebody with the sheath knife, if it comes to that, but you NEED something that is worth the effort of carrying it around the other 99.9999999999999999999% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Spec-Ops brand makes a nice inexpensive rendition of the Fairbairn-Sykes.  About $50 Canadian, full tang, leather sheath, fits nicely on loadbearing suspenders.  Pointy pommel, rubbery textured grip.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
"If you study military history since the invention of the catridge-bearing rifle, the dedicated fighting knife/sword has faded into disuse for good reason. Even during the American Civil War, soldiers often left for war carrying enormous bowie knifes and dirks which they soon ditched. They just aren't worth the weight that could be used as extra ammo, extra rations, etc. MY advice? Get a decent quality sheath knife that doesn't weigh too much AND that can be used as a utility knife. Don'ty spend too much on it, as it IS going to get the shytte beat out of it doing chores in a combat zone, you may have to ditch it, and it isn't at all unlikely that it may be stolen...perhaps by one of your own comrades. You don't want to lose hundreds of dollars. Also get yourself a good utility pocket knife of the SAK type. Get a good one, not one of the Chinese copies. The openers, little scissors, etc. are worth their weight in gold. What I'm telling you to get is a good working combo that is good quality but inexpensive enough to replace as often as necessary.. You can still stab somebody with the sheath knife, if it comes to that, but you NEED something that is worth the effort of carrying it around the other 99.9999999999999999999% of the time." Golgo-13

A lot of good points but these psuedo statistics are based on military persons who got re-supplied somewhat regularly. As an individual with limited resources and supplies, I would put a little more into it. When you run out of ammo and have nothing else left, then that knife is worth a hell of a lot more than rations. I spent a lot of time in limited resource areas (living off the land) and the knife is truly your primary tool that gives you the edge, and if taken care of will last you almost a lifetime.

Get one that is strong enough to use for utility and still effective enough for doing the primary job. But in conjunction with what Golgo says, I'd get a good quality multi-tool for the pocket. You will need that almost more than anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top