Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2001 1:10:18 PM EDT
Why don't those of you who keep posting this sort of bullshit knock it off. Stop looking for chinks in our nation's armor into which to drive your wedges. While I too am a little bit disappointed that we as nation do not often enough display the current level of patriotism or appreciation for what we have and what is necessary to maintain it, this crap about somehow being better, more deserving Americans beacuse we have flown the flag more often, because we are more attentive to politics, because we read the Constitution, etc, has got to stop. Dividing our nation's ranks will offer no positive benefit. We are going to need the support of soccer moms, people who differ in their political or religious views, sexual orientation or whatever. Frankly, I'm just glad that as fractious a nation as we typically appear to be, we generally do come together, forget our differences, and focus on our common enemies. I'm not going to condemn my neighbors simply because they do not fly the flag every day as I do. I'm not going to assume them to be any less patriotic or American for not having done so. In fact, I'm going to offer to lend them some of my extra flags until they are able to obtain their own. This, people, is what America should be all about. Helping each other in times like this, not highlighting our differences. Like a big, extended family, we should be closing ranks and standing as one when threatened, not holding grudges or bickering about who did what to who when they were kids. My son has been considering joining the Marines for a while now and is interested in doing so even moreso as a result of the terrorist attacks. I sat him down and had a talk with him, asking him to think long and hard about what he would be defending if he did enlist. Freedom. Which includes the freedom to hold political views contrary to our own, to be gay, to be disengaged, apathetic, or a wide variety of other beliefs and/or behaviors that we may not only disagree with but find personally immoral, repugnant, or offensive. Flame on if you wish, my only request is that in doing so you please enlighten me as to how continuing this sort of behavior will have any constructive outcome.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:26:15 PM EDT
Top Top