Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 11:37:12 AM EDT
Political considerations aside, as I'm recommending a used purchase...

A friend is looking into first time purchase of a handgun. It would be for self-defense

He would prefer a revolver. At the gun show, we saw several Rugers and SMiths. I don't recall model no.'s

Since I'm more into rifles, and semi handguns, can anyone help me make a good recommendation here?? Manf and model suggestions????
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
KPEL had it dead on.  I've yet to hear a case of "a victim's S&W revolver failed on him/her in a firefight".  For self-defense, if carrying is not an issue, might a recommend a .44special?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Politics aside, I would personally take a S&W revolver hands down.  More models, variations, calibers, they're well made and lots of aftermarket stuff is available.

Although I've no personal experience, their customer service is said to be very good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
For a first time handgun, I can think of no better revolver than a stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4"  heavy barrel and adj. sights.

Just my .02 [:)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the use, and the size preference. I have both (in .357mag), and prefer the S&W in the larger size (K frame), the 686+ being my favorite. For the smaller, concealable gun, I carry a Ruger SP101.

Additionally, I also have J frame and N frame S&Ws, as well as single action Rugers. All are exceptional guns, dependable as well as accurate. I prefer revolvers myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
For a defense wheelgun, I'd go S&W.  But has your friend looked at or seen the Taurus lines?  I believe some of the new ones have unexposed hammers.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For a first time handgun, I can think of no better revolver than a stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4"  heavy barrel and adj. sights.

This is what I've recommended to several people who've wanted to purchase their first handgun, with some of them actually doing it and being very pleased.

The GP-100, model GP-141 in blue/hvy.4" bbl. and the KGP-141 in stainless/hvy. 4" bbl., is an outstanding choice due to the extreme strength of the design.

I've got a GKGP-161, a polished stainless/ 6" hvy.bbl. with a Hogue rubber fingergroove grip on it and it is [i]superb[/i].  Accurate and able to take the stiffest loads fed to it with no problem.
The Ruger design is superior in strength and engineering.

If I were to choose a Smith&Wesson revolver, it would be the 686 7-shot with a 4" bbl.
The only advantage I know of in the Smiths is the trigger pull.

Only your friend can decide which one fits his hand and pleases his mind in regard to pride of ownership.
Good Luck.  Shopping for a gun now is a nice distraction from the current events.

[blue]BusMaster007[/blue]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
kpel308 has it, but it is hard to go wrong with either.  As mentioned, the Smith has a smoother trigger.  For a new shooter, I'd suggest a .357.  You can start him off shooting .38 waddcutters, and then move up to .38 +P before scaring him with the magnums.  The extra recoil is mostly imagined, but new shooters might be intimidated.

Picking for myself I would choose:
#1 Smith 686
#2 GP100
#3 SP101
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My first wheelgun 357, was a stainless security six.....paid $239 for it used.....it was excellent still wish I had it...decided that I wanted to go s/w....have a bunch of them....I would say that a good security six still out there for about that much....gp`s or 586/686 smith is the way to go.....if money is a issue, there a quite a few ex service guns out there...I ran into a model 13...4"hb at a real good price and it is a excellent shooter.....Personally, I`d forget anything else but smith/ruger.....finish and bbl length are personal preference....stay away from taurus or colt cobras.....the detective colts are ok but smaller frame.....shop around..a good revolver used can be had for about 250.......saw a beautiful n (large) frame smith 44special (older model) for 300....it was well worth it for what it was.....they`re out there look around.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Used S & W model 10? .38 cal and I have one.  Its my nightstand gun. For shots closer than 21 feet, it can't be beat, with some corbon P+ 38's of course.  
Cost was $200.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W hands down. They are smoother, lighter, faster and more tuneable. I think Rugers are well built, but entirely too heavy for a self defense. They have shitty triggers as well.
I have several S&W's that I carry or designate as house guns. The Ruger as stated before excel's as a hunting handgun. They can take a handload that will kill a Smith.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
What are thoughts on Taurus revolves? I don't like the politics of either S&W or Ruger.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Taurus makes a good product. The warranty is great. I feel they are just a poor man's Smith, but may be improving of late. Vastly superior to a Rossi.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll definitely agree with the above:

1.  I have a Ruger GP 100 with the 4" heavy barrel and it is great, but it definitely is heavy.  Would make a nice nightstand gun for someone with no kids (I wouldn't leave a loaded revolver around near kids).

2.  For Concealed Carry, Ruger has a smaller version--the SP-101, however that is the only smaller gun they have.  It would work well, and is fairly inexpensive.  

3.  Smith has NUMEROUS small models--Chief's Specials are good, among others.  You can get grips to fit everyone's hands to match the Smith revolvers from multiple different makers in all kinds of materials--wood, rubber, nylon, mother of pearl (hey, I don't know what kind of job your friend has--he may need it to match his clothing).  And, if you ever find a gunsmith that CANNOT slick up a Smith revolver's trigger pull--call the FBI as he is probably a Moslem terrorist masquerading as a gunsmith.  

So:

For Carry, the Ruger SP 101 or any of the small Smith guns in .357, with .38 loads being good in them for practice.  Use a 2 1/2" barrel 5 shot for concealment, and a shrouded hammer/hammerless model for ease of draw (Smith has several models that fit this bill).

For nightstand use ONLY, a 6" .357, either the Ruger GP 100 or a larger Smith (686, 27, 28) would be great.  

For an intermediate gun (glovebox carry), the GP 100 or medium to large frame Smiths are good in a 4" barrel, and in a pinch, they can do concealed carry work.

AFARR

PS--the Taurus stuff is good, along with the Colt revolvers.  Best to decide what size he needs first then look at manufacturers models that fit the bill.

And, if you have guessed it from the above, the .357 caliber wins hands down for defense purposes over the other calibers you would find it in.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd recommend a medium frame S&W with a 4" barrel in 357 magnum. I'm at work currently but I think the model number of mine is Model 66?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Given those two choices:
Smith & Wesson.

"Ruger:
The boat anchor of American handguns".

Jay
Arizona (where boat anchors are made)

"Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid"
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife's personal weapon is a Smith Model 65 round butt with 3-inch heavy barrel. It is a decent trade off of concealability and durability. The Smith M686 is a fine weapon for duty holster wear or a night stand drawer, but if it is going concealed at any time, the 3 inch M65 is hard to beat. Of course you can go smaller, but you lose a lot of shooting comfort in the smaller frame revolvers, especially for a new shooter. I bought my wife's revolver for $200 at a local law enforcement oriented gun shop, it was a department trade in excellent condition. I recommend replacing the S&W walnut grips with Pachmayr rubber, get the round smooth type, not the finger grip style. The same revolver can be had in blued steel as the Model 13, but around here, the stainless 65 is much more common. As far as a pedigree, remember that the Smith Model 13 was the FBI agent standard weapon for a number of years. Also, the 3-inch barrel offers notably better handling than the 4-inch revolvers, but still gives you a full length ejector rod. Finally, for a beginner shooter, the low profile fixed sights on the 13/65 are absolutely fool proof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top