Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 9:16:39 AM EDT
WTF is it with recruiters?  They don't know a damn thing about their jobs!  I walk in and say I want to enlist but just want some simple questions answered and they look at me like I'm speaking afganistani or something.  If anybody knows an Air Force recruiter in the Minneapolis, MN area that knows the difference between their head and their ass please let me know.  It took them over a half hour to find out if I could get in since I have had Lasik surgery for gods sake (it requires a waiver)!

I think my requests are pretty simple.  I'm in the guard so I'm technically considered prior service, but I want to sign up for an intel job in the air force.  I had an 84 on the asvab and all of the individual scores were between 110 and 125.  They could not tell me if I would qualify for an intel mos, or how long the tech school was.  They also told me that I would not find out where my duty station was until I was actually in school.  In other words it was not guaranteed in my contract.

They also said for prior service you don't have a predetermined ship date. They basically call you when a slot is available and then you would ship out in 1-2 days.  Nice notice, huh?  Is the Air Force any different than any other branch in how they write their contracts and what you are guaranteed, or was the recruiter just stupid and/or jacking with me.

Any advice or info is appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I have been reading for the last year or so, the Air Force has been making a concerted effort to attract prior service (including Guard and Reserve).  Sounds like you ended up with a dud for a recruiter.  I would hope that a different one would be better.

As far as the Lasik surgery in concerned, I'm suprised that it would be a problem.  Until about 2 years ago it was prohibited for service members, but they reversed it.  They are even paying for it for certain career fields.  We have a guy who came in my Guard unit a year back (prior active duty with a break in service) who had just had the surgery done.  Another guy had vision that did not meet the standards for our career field and was given Lasik as one of two options required for him to stay in.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I read your post again and realize I forgot something.  Your Intel school would be about a year long.  Pretty intense too.  The AF Intel school is at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo TX.  It was a decent little base, but not much excitement in the area.  I spent some time at the Fire Academy there 2 years ago.  If you are into Tex/Mex food, you will like it there.

Hope it works out for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top