Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 8:33:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If they had the nuke they would have used it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell them to go to take a handgun/firearms safety class and then head to the range and rent a few.  Let's start winning some allies in the RKBA fight!

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell them to get a lorcin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]
They know nothing about guns and are about to discover how hard it is to get a gun- LEGALLY.

As Nelson Muntz on the Simpsons says: "HA-HA!"

Of course, once things get back to normal, the neighbors and co-workers will become anti-gun. Again.

Proverbial windsocks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Terrorists can always blow up a nuclear containment building, or fly a plane into one.  Booom.  Basically a nuke going off.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Terrorists can always blow up a nuclear containment building, or fly a plane into one.  Booom.  Basically a nuke going off.
View Quote

Uhhh, no.  There is a huge difference between a conventional explosion that spreads nuclear material and a nuclear explosion.  
David
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a Ruger 10/22 to sell them for $5,000 since money was no object.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from taking a friend to buy a home defense 870.  

I suppose we are not so crazy now huh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

"They" who?  The attacks last week were carried out by one group out of many.  Other groups could gain momentum, courage or financial support as a result of what happened.

I do agree though, that if Bin Laden's group had a nuke, last week would have been the time to use it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Listen to GodBless Texas!  For anyone new to guns, it is a must to first get some training.  I am worried about all the first time gun buyers coming out due to recent events and not having any gun safety.  All it will take is a couple "accidents" before they all jump on the -GUNS ARE EVIL Crusade.  With all our help we can gain pro gun allies of all the new gun owners.        just a thought

p.s. God Bless Texas
p.p.s. This is new
[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is your chance to add some pro-RKBA types to our ranks.  Take a few of them at a time to the range and let them try out your 22LR to break them in if they are virgin shooters to show them it is not that easy to hit a target, and then have them take a formal group class together offered by someone that is not directly related.  Maybe you can arrange for a group discount.  The logic behind a class to illustrate how serious owning a gun is, and also weed out some of the casually interested types because probably only the real committed will go to the next step.  Up to this point some of those folks probably know nothing about gun, except what they see on television shows and movies.  This would be expressly true for the first time lady shooters, we need some of those folks on our side.  And also you need to show them that not all gunners are the typical media sterotypes.  Good luck

USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell them to Join the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Uhhh, no.  There is a huge difference between a conventional explosion that spreads nuclear material and a nuclear explosion.  
David
View Quote

Ya, your right.  I meant to say the boom, nuclear crap everywhere, almost like an actual explosion.

Besides,  I believe the containment buildings are built pretty strong.  Not sure if they could stand a hit of a jet though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell them to Join the NRA.
View Quote

I would take a SWAG and see if they are ready, the NRA has a real negative image amoung the non-gun people, you shouldn't alienate them right off the bat.  But they are ready then sign them up, offer to send in the coupon etc. and you will pay for the postage etc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#17]
"tell them to get a lorcin"

NOW THAT'S JUST MEAN! [}:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#18]
If they are really worried about a nuke going off, potassium iodate would be more useful than a gun.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"tell them to get a lorcin"

NOW THAT'S JUST MEAN! [}:D]
View Quote

Might a recommend a S&W Sigma .40 for you fine folks?  Mint condition, and only $600!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Just make sure whoever they buy the gun from donates a part of the profits to pro RKBA groups!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Heh heh. I've taken no small delight in filling in a few worried liberal co-workers that to get a pistol here in sunny NY, they first have to go to the local Pistol Permit Bureau and drop $10 for an application (non-refundable). They then need 3 (or is it 4?) non-related character references to sign their app. They then need to make an appointment to be fingerprinted. They can then submit their application (along with roughly $100 in fees) for processing. Somewhere along the way, they must attend a county-MANDATED pistol safety course-another $25+. They can then wait 3-6 months for their permit while their background is investigated. After all this, depending on what county they live in (or who they know), they may get a CCW. If not, a restricted permit for target range or home use only. I then tell them that after they select a pistol from one of the damn few shops remaining in the area, they must go back to the PPB to pick up a "coupon" to allow them to pick up the gun from the dealer. After enjoying the glazing-over of their eyes, I ask them if they feel safer, and remind them they can always dial 911! If I'm feeling really nasty, I suggest that maybe they just buy an illegal gun which they think is available on every street corner.

Hell, some of them may be able to only afford a Lorcin after all the fees.

Welcome to gun control, NY style.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I trained my neighbor (from New York) on firearms safety and "how to shoot straight" last weekend before the attack.  

I think he's the ONLY unarmed person in the state of Utah (just kidding) but he's now looking at buying a 1911 pistol.  Next I need to convince him to join the NRA.

What's really nice is that he's a media type (works for Clear Channel) and *maybe* someday will influence a story or two to be more balanced.

- CD

PS: The *most* important thing you can do is to teach ONE person to shoot safely, teach them that guns aren't evil, that the rkba is an individual right, and that defending the rkba is important.  Everybody we add to our side is one less knee-jerk liberal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I was listening to the radio this morning and they said that the sales of AR's and like were up nation wide.[50]  GOOD the more of us there are the better......  
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#24]
SP10, what are the requirements for a long gun/shotgun in NYC? Are they even allowed?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#25]
SP10, excellent post- and it's SOOOO true here in MA, too.

I think the glazed-over look in their eyes is the dull surprise of powerlessness and resignation, i.e., "I voted for these liberal pols who came up with these cockamamie gun laws? And now I can't defend myself? Oh, well- I guess there's nothing I can do about it...." that suddenly dawns on them when they realise you're telling the truth about guns, and the govt. isn't.

"I fought the law and the law won."
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#26]
schnacke, NYC is significantly worse than upstate NY. The average joe can forget about a CCW. I honestly don't know what the restrictions on non AW-type longgun possession are in the city. AWs are verboten, I believe.

I should also point out that my NYS CCW is not valid in New York City "unless approved by the police commissioner of that city." It sez so on the back, next to my 1989 vintage thumb print.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tell them to get a lorcin.
View Quote

Oh Sh%t I nearly fell off my chair!

Thanks RomaRana I needed that!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice.  Pre-ban thumb, eh?  [;)]
View Quote

It has the evil feature of being opposable, not to mention hiding dirt under the nail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey! My preban thumb has impeccable hygiene, I'll have you know!  My middle finger, however...
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
If you want to go for shock therapy, take them to a gun show.  I always enjoy taking "virgins" to their first one.  It may be a little intimidating for some, but at least they get the chance to see what their options are and they get a crash course in politics and personal freedoms.

Realistically though, I agree with gijohnny223.  Screw the handgun, go with the AR.  Unless you can get a CCW and carry it away from home it has too many limitations.  I just talked to a friend last night and he is ready so sell off a few misc. guns he never uses to get his first AR-15.  The more the better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SP10, excellent post- and it's SOOOO true here in MA, too.
View Quote

A co-worker just about $hit when I told him it would take about 3 months to get one here in the PRofMA. Probably longer since this $hit started and the FBI is kind of busy to get to your background check.

95thFoot, what part of "The Commonwealth" are you in, I'm up in Merrimac, and do you know of anyplace around MA that holds matches?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I should also point out that my NYS CCW is not valid in New York City "unless approved by the police commissioner of that city." It sez so on the back, next to my 1989 vintage thumb print.
View Quote

Been this way for a long time. My grandfather's NY carry permit, issued in '49, has the very same statement next to the thumbprint.

The old permit does have some nice features that the new ones probably don't have. It allows open or concealed carry and has "good until revoked" stamped on it.

The funniest thing was that he got it so he could carry a gun at work, as a pipefitter at the chemical company Dupont. Can you imagine a company these days wanting to arm their maintenance guys?

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
GBT is right, take them shooting, lett them know how much fun it is to shoot a can. We can win new allies now, HCI anadthe Brady Bunch will blow thier cookies, I am  taking a non shooter out wed. his first time with a rifle let alone an AR
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Tell them there's a $75 an hour consultation fee.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#36]
After doing some research at my favorite local shop I will be taking my Bro-In-Law for his first purchase... I found him an 835 3-1/2" mag.

They (he and my sis) didn't get this first one yet, now they want a Stoeger "coach gun" too...

Had him at the range a couple weeks ago.... really likes shooting the Bushmaster, let him try a few clips after he was comfortable with my Model7...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top