Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 6:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2001 6:31:40 PM EDT by Striker]
[url]http://www.debka.com/body_index.html[/url] Any credibility to this? Anyone heard anything? _FS [blue]just tweeking the link for you.[/blue][:)]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:35:28 PM EDT
Well, they "Start Where The Media Stop". Who knows?[;)]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:43:27 PM EDT
HAVING BEEN STATIONED AT BRAGG WITH THE EIGHT DUECE, I SEE THIS AS UNLIKELY. THE REASON IS THAT THE NEWS MEDIA IN THE AREA, WATCH TROOP DEPLOYMENTS LIKE A HAWK AND WHEN A UNIT DEPLOYS THE WORD GETS OUT. IT'S NOT HARD TO KNOW WHEN A UNIT IS DEPLOYING, JUST WATCH ALL THE VEHICLES GOING TO POPE OR THE LOCK DOWN AREA. WIVES AND FAMILY SUPPORT GROUPS ARE THE FIRST TO KNOW AND THEN WORD GETS OUT TO THE MEDIA AND THEN THE MEDIA POSTS ITSELF OUT SIDE MAIN GATES TO BRAGG AND POPE AFB. NOTE A WORD IN THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA. SO, IN MY HUMBLE OPINON, NAW, I DON'T THINK SO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:45:26 PM EDT
... actually it says: "Vanguard Are Units of US 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions They Came Down in N. Punjab, Jumping-off Point for S. Afghanistan’s Arghastan Valley Where Bin Laden Hideouts" ... so I would say Pakistan
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:49:36 PM EDT
Well it could just be pathfinders, and AF ground control personal. But I am leaning toward that this is a hoax and this line is the key: [b]A simultaneous attack second attack will be spearheaded in the Basra area by some 30,000 British soldiers, currently being airlifted into bases in Oman.[/b] First the British dont have the ability to airlift 30000 men anywhere without our help. Second they dont have 30000 men available, they have 15000 or so on various missions in the Balkans and about that many more in North Ireland. They would have to call out the Territorial Army first before they could move a division strength element. Either its a typo for 3000, which is about the strength of 24 Air Assault Brigade, or its a fake.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:52:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:56:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl: Well it could just be pathfinders, and AF ground control personal. But I am leaning toward that this is a hoax and this line is the key: [b]A simultaneous attack second attack will be spearheaded in the Basra area by some 30,000 British soldiers, currently being airlifted into bases in Oman.[/b] First the British dont have the ability to airlift 30000 men anywhere without our help. Second they dont have 30000 men available, they have 15000 or so on various missions in the Balkans and about that many more in North Ireland. They would have to call out the Territorial Army first before they could move a division strength element. Either its a typo for 3000, which is about the strength of 24 Air Assault Brigade, or its a fake.
View Quote
There is a joint U.S/British Ex going on in the area right now (prolly stopped in light of attacks), with those numbers of troops, it is very possible that the U.S will assist them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2001 8:01:44 PM EDT by ArmdLbrl]
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: I doubt it is true for reasons that I will not disclose but anyone in Fayetteville could tell you and the observation that whomever wrote that seems to think that the 101'st Airborne is still airborne.... To move the 101 and all the choppers it is somewhat dependant on takes a whole lotta effort, you don't just fly a Blackhawk to pakistan. Plus, saying the 82nd and 101st are "nearly half" of our airborne combat forces? Did we start up another airborne division nobody told me about? Whoever wrote this knows very little about the Army.
View Quote
They reestablished the 173 Airborne Brigade in Italy this summer to watch the Balkins with the 3 Bns of the 511th PIR. And there is the 172nd AAB in Alaska. So technically we have 4 brigades each of paratroops and air assault. But this is still 3/4ths of our airmobile assets not 1/2
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:58:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Full_Spectrum: [url]http://www.debka.com/body_index.html[/url] Any credibility to this? Anyone heard anything? _FS [blue]just tweeking the link for you.[/blue][:)]
View Quote
How do you get your statement from the article? I do not see how you came to your conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:36:10 PM EDT
As as a former grunt of the 101st it would be possible in an emergency to jump probably a brigade size unit at least. There are large numbers of jump qualified grunts in the 101st. There are just not enough room for them in the 82nd so the 101st takes the overflow. This would take a little time to reorganize units and train for cohesiveness. It just would not be practical or wise to do it on short notice. It would be cool to see the 101st jump again. No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:26:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By platform389: Well, they "Start Where The Media Stop". Who knows?[;)]
View Quote
More like "Our fantasy starts where reality stops".
Top Top