Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 1:12:03 PM EDT
George Payne, the email's author, is a senior NWA pilot and a former Navy flyer (fighter jets).  I talked to his wife......Bill
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Impenetrable Cockpit Doors

Hello Fellow Americans,

I am coming out of my shock and I want to do something, don't you. I elieve we can help the entire country avoid a repeat of yesterday's
tragedy with our phone. The FAA and our Legislators are going to enact protocols and legislation that will strongly impact your life and your ability to travel by air. Let's try to get them to enact the one single rule that would have precluded yesterday's horrific events.

But first some background. I am a professional pilot and have been all my life. To prove this is not a crank chain letter, you can call me
and I will pay for the call from anywhere in the world. To verify this letter, or gain additional information, call me at 1-800-860-4000, ext.

The FAA and the Airline Association have determined that the cockpit windows could be used as an emergency exit by passengers in a "worst case" scenario. This stance was taken out of fear of litigation in today's environment. This exit is not publicized nor announced because they do not want passengers to force their way into the cockpit except in extreme cases.

Therefore, the doors of all passenger transport aircraft can be opened, even if locked, by the application of 40 pounds of force! The pilots are the most important hostage the hijackers can acquire, yet the FAA will not give us a door we can lock!!!!

European air carriers require that the cockpit doors be Kevlar (TM) so they are bullet proof. In addition, the doors are LOCKED from the inside and cannot be breached by force. European air carriers are protected from lawsuits by legislation.

So, what can YOU do? Call the FAA at 1-800-255-1111 and demand that air carriers in the US retrofit cockpit doors so the pilots are in a secure area. Call your Legislator or the White House at 1-202-456-1414 Fax: 202-456-2461 and demand that air carriers be immune from
litigation arising from the locked cockpit door.

YOU CAN DO SOMETHING THAT WILL PREVENT THIS TRAGEDY FROM HAPPENING AGAIN!!!

DO IT NOW, PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL!!

FORWARD THIS LETTER TO EVERYONE IN AMERICA!!!

Yours in Safety,
George Payne
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
So the trained killer terrorists are to be locked in the fuselage area along with the searched and unarmed hostages/passengers/victims?

Not sure I'd like that idea much if I were the customer.  How about doing something about the killers besides just keeping them in the passenger area?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, WTF would you suggest?  I suggest you take a bus.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Allow weapon carry by all passengers. Only viable solution for which there is no effective counter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told that cockpit doors were that way due to pressure reasons. And that they can't make them amored or whatever cause it would unbalance the pressure in the cabin.

The guy that told me that yesterday said that he was a pilot. Was he? Maybe. I just met him in line at a store. It there any truth to this you pilot guys out there?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

i will be taking a bus or some other form of transportation from now on.  not because i'm afraid of any airplane being hijacked, but because if one ever is and i'm on it, the darn airlines have left me nothing but my bare hands and the writing utensil (if they let us keep those) to fight back.  i'm not going to LET myself become a victim.

as to the suggestions:  the absolute first thing that should have been done, before any other ideas were even tossed around, is to make it a national policy not to capitulate to terrorists.  we need to be stressing to the people the importance of fighting back.  this passiveness (is that a word?) has got to stop.  bottom line.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the darn airlines have left me nothing but my bare hands and the writing utensil (if they let us keep those) to fight back.  i'm not going to LET myself become a victim.
View Quote

That is all you would need along with your sprit to survive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the darn airlines have left me nothing but my bare hands and the writing utensil (if they let us keep those) to fight back.  i'm not going to LET myself become a victim.
View Quote

That is all you would need along with your sprit to survive.
View Quote

well, i doubt i have the strength to kill someone with my bare hands, and that's IF he's not putting up a struggle.  besides, it's not whether i CAN or not. it's about the fact that i shouldn't have to.  level playing field.  you don't bring a knife to a gun fight, do ya?  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
it's about the fact that i shouldn't have to.  level playing field.  

you don't bring a knife to a gun fight, do ya?  [:D]
View Quote

True!

And I won't now if I am flying.[:(]

edit due to kant spell
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Said it before on a different thread - train any citizen who wants to be an air marshall and can pass the full background checks.  Then let 'em ccw while they're on the plane - call 'em volunteer air marshalls or whatever.  Folks who are not in favor of CCW can still see the obvious advantages of the air marshall system, and even the most myopic antigunner would have to agree that extra air marshalls at minimal cost to the taxpayer - air marshalls that just might have saved 4700+ lives this week if there had been enough of them - might, in retrospect, have been a good idea.

Besides, I'm licensed to drive planes but not buses. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top