Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 10:04:28 AM EDT
[url]http://us.news2.yimg.com/f/42/31/7m/dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010915/ts/attacks_pakistan.htm[/url]

Pakistan just OKed even ground troops to be based from within thier borders for an attack on Afganistan.

I hope all you assholes making rude comments about pakistan and saying the U.S was gonna goto war with them can Eat your words.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Your link didn't work, but this one does.
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010915/wl/attack_pakistan_dc_14.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
here we come
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
This means they realised that we were going to go to war with us if they didnt.  They are going to be in real trouble now with terrorism from their own people, who hate us. But at least we dont have to fight our way in.

Hope this governemnt can remain in power untill we arrive.  I was not at all sure that they would fear us more than they fear the terrorists and their own mob on the streets.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#6]
They are saying that Pakistan acceded to all US demands.

They did not however say what those demands were!

The media is assuming a lot, a complete list has not been released. Colin Powell has only spoken publicly about air travel and intelligance information.  But I agree with the media assumption that it did include passage of troops and use of bases. Otherwise there was no point in going so far in pressuring them.

BCBUD? Are you of Pakistani decent? Why are you so concerned about protecting them? If they had turned us down we WOULD have gone to war with them.  They chose correctly. It still may cost this government their position.  And we will still face a high terrorism threat from the Pakistani people who overwhelmingly support the Taliban and bin Laden.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Pakistan being a former British Colony, the British have certain contacts there and access that Americans do not.  This is the BBC's take on the Pakistani "pledge" of cooperation.

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1546000/1546683.stm[/url]

By the BBC's Susannah Price in Islamabad

The first confirmation that Pakistan had agreed to all of the United States requests for co-operation in the wake of Tuesday's attacks came from the American Secretary of State Colin Powell.

The Pakistani cabinet and National Security Council met for four hours to discuss in detail what help should be given to the United States.

They were looking at recommendations made by military commanders during their talks on Friday.

President Bush has named the Saudi born dissident Osama Bin Laden as the prime suspect in the attacks on Washington and New York.

He is in hiding in Afghanistan which now looks set to be one of the first targets if there are any retaliatory strikes.

Observers believe the United States is looking to Pakistan for intelligence on Osama Bin Laden and his hosts the Taleban authorities.

It is less clear the extent of military co-operation required.

Internal dissent

It seems most likely that they will ask for permission to use Pakistani airspace for attacks. However most in Pakistan believe it is unlikely that the Americans will be allowed to station troops here - and Pakistan has said its own soldiers will not be involved.

Pakistani officials have confirmed that Islamabad has agreed to the broad parameters of the demands but has asked for more discussion and details.

But the fact that Pakistan's foreign minister Abdul Sattar refused to even confirm this during his press conference in Islamabad, points to Pakistan's growing concerns about internal dissent.

Mr Sattar talked in very general terms about the cabinet meeting saying only they were in the process of discussions.

He also said the Pakistani president, General Pervez Musharraf, would be holding talks with politicians and religious leaders in the next few days.

This will be an important element of consensus building within the country.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Small demonstrations

Although as a military ruler General Musharraf does not need to worry about political opposition, he will want the maximum support possible to push forward his policy of supporting the United States.

It is only after the consultations that General Musharraf is expected to announce any substantial details.

There has been little open opposition to Pakistan's moves to abandon its old ally the Taleban, although privately many ordinary people have expressed concern.

Religious extremist groups have apparently been under pressure to keep quiet and not criticise the government.

However there was one small demonstration on Friday where a few hundred people gathered to protest against Pakistan's moves towards the United States and to warn that they saw an attack on Afghanistan as a war against Islam.

Taleban ties

The Taleban are furious that their main supporter Pakistan appears to have switched its allegiance.

Their threat to declare war on neighbouring countries which give military help to United States may sound like rhetoric - but it could serve as a call to its supporters inside Pakistan to protest.

Pakistan is obviously anxious to avoid this - ironically the foreign minister spoke of Pakistan's long standing support towards Afghanistan, especially in its struggle against foreign intervention.

He also stressed the cultural ties and pointed out that Pakistan was one of only three governments to support the Taleban.

Pakistan is also keen to forestall criticism by suggesting it is not acting alone.

The foreign minister repeatedly referred to the United Nations resolutions calling for international co-operation to bring those responsible for the attacks to justice.

The government is also consulting closely with China and a special envoy from Saudi Arabia is in Pakistan for talks.
View Quote

Either the Pakistani public is going to be very suprised when US troops show up, or we still have some work to do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Iran has said they will guard their 600+ mile border (with Afghanistan) with military forces to make sure no Afghan gets out that way in case we attack.

Is that fear I smell?  Or a heartfelt symbol of unity against terror.  It doesn't matter.  Heard 'em up.  Makes it easier to find those we want.

I'd imagine they would do this anyway, in case we kept on going.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
My money is on the Pakistanis doing something to make it look like Afghanistan has attacked them. Then the Pakistanis will make thier own move on Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually Iran isn't doing that out of fear---they HATE the Taliban government with a passion, as do MOST of the other Islamic countries.  Only the Sudan and Iraq will be real enemies if we go after the Taliban.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll believe it, when I see it.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This means they realised that we were going to go to war with us if they didnt.  They are going to be in real trouble now with terrorism from their own people, who hate us. But at least we dont have to fight our way in.

Hope this governemnt can remain in power untill we arrive.  I was not at all sure that they would fear us more than they fear the terrorists and their own mob on the streets.
View Quote

I think they have figured out that they are either with us, or against us. There is no inbetween at a time like this.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My money is on the Pakistanis doing something to make it look like Afghanistan has attacked them. Then the Pakistanis will make thier own move on Afghanistan.
View Quote

That's a decent bet in my book. They all want that country (sans the residents!) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it and "splittin' it up" for themselves pretty soon.

Would save us a LOT of trouble and save us face ("Gee..., we didn't do anything, we're peace loving people, it was the ---- (Iranians, pakistanis, etc.) who dealt the blow?") and might even keep us in un-interupted oil for a while and might even find us new middle eastern friends to sleep with in exchange for oil???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top