Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 9:11:02 AM EDT
I originally encountered this thread posted by IAJack on 07/04/2001 08:18:45, however since we could only go back 3 months and now I feel that it appropriate to repost it now. Remember the Star Spangled Banner is a poem.

"Download and give this a listen, it will make the hair on your neck stand up..worth the download" [url]www.whoradio.com/mickelson/Banner.wma[/url]

Oh say, can you see, by the dawn's early light;
What so proudly, we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes, and bright stars, thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts, we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof, through the night, that our flag was still there.
Oh, say, does that star,-spangled banner, yet wave,
O'er the land, of the free, and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
... wow, too cool WMA file.

broadband is bitchin'
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Warlord:
If this dosen't make you cry, Please leave the country-----Now.
Simper Fi
Bill
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If your'e not man enough to cry in front of your family, then DO NOT listen to this...  My wife and I just sat here holding each other and crying together.

I can honestly say, that I've never felt so helpless in my life!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thaks warlord, I had almost forgotten about that, but after hearing it I don't think you could ever really forget or hear that song in the same way again. It puts it in a new perspective. I hope all on here will hear it and pass it on.

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Why won't my Winamp play the sumbitch?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why won't my Winamp play the sumbitch?
View Quote

there is volume control maybe it is set all the way down, the control is in the top quarter apporimxately in the middle.  If not maybe you should go to the [url]www.winamp.com[/url] and reload load it. OR try another media player such as REALPLAYER, or MS MediaPlayer, I think either one of these should play the winamp file.  Or I think somewhere on the web site there is also a MP3 version.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone needs to put that to pictures and images, like maybe Flashplayer, Shockwave? Some historical pictures would probably fit well as well as some of the ones of late toward the end of it?

I would but I only have the prog at work. Be a good project to get your mind off everyting if anyone needs something to do?

Later

IAJack

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I never knew.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
warlord. thanks anyway, my Dam F--kin aol wont let me download the song. I tried twice, just keep getting kicked out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
That brought a tear in my eye and a warmth in my heart. Although not having been born in the USA, I have spent my entire life here. I tell you one thing. Patriotism is an infectious thing. Something that once freedom is felt and experienced, it can never be taken away. It is that doctorine that makes this country and its people great. It unite us and makes us persevere throughout any adversity. I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely incredible.  I just sit here weeping. God bless America.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a well done piece with a glaring exception. The speaker keeps refering to the "colonies". By 1812, we'd been independent from Britain 36 years. The Brits weren 't too happy about it still, many were determined to recover their former property.  I think it's so ironic we took a former English beer drinking song (the music), gave it new lyrics and it became one of the most stirring songs ever written. I never cease to mist up when it's played and I see the flag waving. 24 years in the military standing at attention, you think I might be a bit tired of it. But, I'll never tire of it or what it stands for. Carry on gentlemen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
warlord- awsome!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never heard some of these details.  Is this true?

shadows
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have never heard some of these details.  Is this true?
shadows
View Quote

I don't know if the whole story is true.  Are there any early American history experts out there that can verify this incident?  If I remember correctly the original flag(currently being renovated) hung in the American History section of the Smithsonian Museum in Wash. DC is HUGE. It covers like a whole wall even with the pieces cut out of it for souvenairs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is the original thread as posted by IAJack back July/2001 [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=34992[/url]
Check it out for comments from others that visited this board. God Bless America.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Am I the only one that has problems playing this file? None of my programs support "wma" format files.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that has problems playing this file? None of my programs support "wma" format files.
View Quote

You need to download the Winamp player from the about above web site.  I guarantee that it is well worth the trouble.  It is a very moving.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Warlord, thank you.   I needed that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Though my heart has been heavy all week and almost every waking moment has been spent re-thinking this loss, this trajedy, this is the first time I have really just sat and cried.

I cannot fathom the loss.

I cannot imagine the destruction.

I cannot begin to comprehend the thousands upon thousands of my fellow Americans who feel as though their very souls have been ripped out.

All I can do is pray, be thankful for my life and ask Almighty God to grant our President and other leaders and our Military the power to carry out swift, effective and relentless justice.

I sit here with a broken heart and a heavy spirit.

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I emailed the link to every local radio station.  Others should do the same.  Maybe it will get some air time.  I think Americans need to here this.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Awsome............not much else anyone can say
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally cried about this whole mess while hearing this.  I think maybe I finally "get it."  I went a long time going through middle and high school not pledging alleigence to the flag because I thought our government was corrupt.  But now I understand.  As you can tell by my name, I've always been proud to be a Texan.  I was always sure I could die for her.  But it all makes sense now, and I truly am proud to be an American.

God Bless Freedom
God Bless Texas
God Bless America
Amen
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know how I can record this so I can permenently have it for future listening. This is one of the best things I have ever heard.

God Bless America
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to download the Winamp player from the about above web site.  I guarantee that it is well worth the trouble.  It is a very moving.
View Quote

Actually, I do have Winamp, and tried to play it there first.. then I tried windows media player, by associating the file with it... but I dont know how to remove the assosiation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how I can record this so I can permenently have it for future listening. This is one of the best things I have ever heard.

God Bless America
View Quote

Right click on the link and choose "Save target as.."

[url]http://www.whoradio.com/mickelson/Banner.wma[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, I do have Winamp, and tried to play it there first.. then I tried windows media player, by associating the file with it... but I dont know how to remove the assosiation.
View Quote

Okay, try this,
1) start up winamp
2) a.in the upper left corner, click on the little figure 8 symbol, b. select "play" from the drop down menu, c. select "directory" and now find where you stored he file Banner originally downloaded when you clicked on the link at the beginning of this thread.  and it should start up.  Enjoy! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been holding up pretty well...Until this.

warlord,

My tear ducts Thank You!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
My favorite passage from this production:
“The thing the sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world, is ‘he will die on his feet, before he will live on his knees.’”
-George Washington
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank You, from the bottom of my heart !
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#33]
My deepest thanks to you.

I had no idea.

God bless America.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
“The thing the sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world, is ‘he will die on his feet, before he will live on his knees.’”
-George Washington
View Quote

Mine also.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks,

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! THE HOME OF THE BRAVE!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Truly inspirational!

Thanks very much for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#37]
excellent!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#38]
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Weird, I still cant get it to play. It says something about an error with windows and the location of the file (typical). Can anyone please convert the file to .mp3 or .wav so that I could hear it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I finaly got to a computer with sound. Man, what a piece. As said before, I'll never hear that song in quite the same way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Tear time came for me last Thursday when the British played the our National Anthem at the changing of the gaurd. And most of the British people were holding U.S. flags and crying!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
-George Washington
View Quote

Ditto

I've been thinking about that all day!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
‘he will die on his feet, before he will live on his knees.’”
-George Washington
View Quote

I first heard this quote in the John Milius movie Red Dawn, toward the end of the movie, when the good guys were being attacked the Russian Hind helicopter gunships, when the guy stood up with an AK and shot at the Soviet Hind heliocopter recited those lines, but I didn't know who originally uttered those words.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Can someone tell me how to put this on a cd or disk? Using windows media player.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top