Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2001 5:32:41 PM EDT
If I go, do you think the Army(I ETS'd 12 yrs ago) would let me bring my own AR?  How about my Gold Cup?  The way I see it, I'm arleady dead-eye-dick with these weapons, why mess with perfection???

[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They provide you with the instruments of death and destruction.

[uzi]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell no!  
Uncle Sam will give you everything you'll need and more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've thought about that myself--

If anything, would you be allowed to at least take your ACOG or reflex with you?  I'm sure they'll train you to be proficient with both, but I hope among these members that test should be passed very quickly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone in my local Recruiting Station told me I was welcome to bring weapons (afer training of course) if I enlisted, they just have to be locked in the company arms room.  Several recruiters had kept personal weapons this way.  Obviously they were for personal use only and not permitted "on the job."
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They provide you with the instruments of death and destruction.

[uzi]
View Quote

Just remember, RETURN TO US GOVERNMENT AT END OF WAR
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You said your ETS was 12 years ago, you should know better. As weapon friendly as the Army is they can get real goofy over private owned weapons. Also, those kids going into the operations area better pay close attention to the rules regarding confiscated enemy property. Those ak74 magazines and that neat Browning Hi Power pistol could cost you your military career.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent a BM M4 upper to my bro Robert when he enlisted in the IDF.He is the envy of his sqaud and nobody gives him problems about the upgrade(except senior officers trying to buy it).I am waiting to see if we are really going to get it on before I go sign my life away to the military but if(hopefully when)we do I'm taking another M4 upper and my Glock 17 with me even if I have to check them out just before we board the C-130s.I wonder if I might end up a designated marksman or something(I'm pretty good)if that was the case a 20in HBAR with a NM freefloat adapter would be a better choice?Anyway.

Is anyone else going to join the military if we really get this thing on?

sopmodm4
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]
In past conflicts, there were volunteer units that required you to bring your own weapon.  

OSA
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
bad news: you can't take your personal weapons for use

good news: you get some really neat stuff to use instead, and you don't have to have any special permits either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is anyone else going to join the military if we really get this thing on?

sopmodm4
View Quote

Lets see... I just paid for the quarter at the University I go to, I am a full time student, and my cousin is about to join... I'll join too!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#12]
If I remember right, my M16 was an A1, w/203, and functioned flawlessly.  My 1911, at 25 yds. hit 5in. left and 2in. low.  Do the Beretta's we have now have adjustable sights?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I noticed in the photos that most of the NG were carrying older M16A1 rifles.  I wonder if they are all shot out??  If I was national guard I might condsider it if the rifle I was issued is a POS.  (Maybe I'd atleast switch uppers) :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#14]
My NG unit has A2's
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 2" Rossi M68 .38spl. It went with me to panama, and the gulf war, if I can get them to take back a retired 45 year old SFC, it may see action once again. But, in answer to your question, No you will not be allowed to bring your own AR, and I was not "allowed" to carry the Rossi either.[50]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, the Army is really wierd. No one in the Navy or Air Force said anything when whole fighter squadrons got togeather and bought Glocks or Sigs by the dozen to replace their stupid .38 revolvers they were still carrying.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to disappoint all of you. This will be a war that is "Politically Correct". You will all be issued AK-47's. Officers can choose between the AK-74M or the new AN-94. Camels will be issued on a first come, first serve basis. The rest will have to walk. Sorry, new rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top