Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2001 10:59:13 AM EDT
I went to the Virginia Military Institute under Marine Corps option years ago, but did not accept my commission.  I'm now in my last year of law school and have regreted the decision not to stay on the military path ever since.

Now, I want to join and be a part of serving my country, but feel that the USMC might be too big of a committment at this point in my life... does anybody recommend the National Guard?  I'm seriously considering this option if I can get the idea of serving somewhere else beside the Corps out of my head...

I mean, is the Guard OK, or are they just a bunch of weekend warriors???  and does anybody know anything about the length of boot camp, for officers specifically... I dont think they will want somebody with my education to enlist...
Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any personal experience in this area myself, but my way of thinking is that if you're going to go, go all the way, whichever branch of the armed forces that means to you. Best of luck in your decision. I'd be there if I could as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I got out of Active duty Air Force in April and joined the Alaska National Guard.  I am in a Combat search and Rescue squadron that is very professional.  We do most of the civilian rescues in Alaska.  I'd recommend to anybody to join the Guard.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
You do it right this time and join the Corps!

Officer ranks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Even if you go to boot, wouldn't you still be a Weekend Lawyer in the end? Or are you just going to go enlisted? If you go reserves you'll be a weekend warrior too, no matter what you do.

Army, Air Force and Marines all have you go to a boot camp. That's a two month minimum, then a school, which could be another month or two or three.

What exactly are you looking to do with your potential military career?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top