Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2001 9:53:50 AM EDT
I had jondus (billy reuben) as a baby, will disqualify me to join the army? I'm 27 and worked in the IT field but if this get's bad I would like to join the infantry. idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:57:55 AM EDT
It depends on the severity of the jaundice. If it was as a kid, it is likely to be in the Hep A class, which I would doubt would keep you out. I believe they only screen for Hep C now, but someone who has signed up recently and gone through the physical would know better. Give a call to the recruiting office.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:59:58 AM EDT
I was born in the Hill Air force base hosptial that was brand new, I was the 7th baby born and out of the first 10 7 had jaudice! Pretty weird huh? idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:13:43 AM EDT
I applaud your intentions of serving our country in its time of need. If you really wanted to join, sign up and take the physical and or ask the recruiter before hand. With your IT skills, the infantry may not be the best place to leverage your skill set.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:17:56 AM EDT
I would imagine that as long as you have had a healthy liver (and everything else) since then that it wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:46:40 PM EDT
Jaundice...is observed in approximately 60% of term infants and 80% of preterm infants. Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics (my wife's) Bilirubin is a byproduct of processes in the body. When an infant's bili is too high, they turn color. Sometimes it's only something to observe (common advice - stick the baby on the window sill in full sunlight at home), sometimes it requires medical intervention. You want the short answer (If I can do it[:\] ) If you've never had a medical condition that a doctor has attributed to your infancy, don't worry. Lots of babies have elevated bili's.
Top Top