Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 7:03:36 PM EDT
I just make me Sad that so many People were trapped and had to jump to death.

Just An Idea for Emergency Escape.

Given the Choice, I would take a Parachute.

^
[size=1]Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL
Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.[/size=1][url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
[size=1]Revelation 13:18[/size=1][url]http://www.digitalangel.net/da/tech.htm[/url]  

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I was talking with the wife about that.  As we were watching the horror, it occurred to me that a parachute should be mandatory at such heights.  Even before the collapse, we knew there was no way to save those above the fire line.  God I hope I never have to go into a skyscraper ever again, let alone have to work in one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
... No kidding. That is a grand idea, if I were "stationed" in an office that high off the ground I would.
Heck, those BASE jumpers do it for fun all the time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I was thinking the same thing a while ago when one of downtown LA.'s buildings caught on fire and after the Northridge earthquake. Every one above the flames/damage was trapped.

You would definitely have to have some kind of training though, base jumping is not for the novice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I once almost went to work for a law firm in downtown Dallas. There office was on the 50th floor.

I decided if I took the position, I would have a very lengthy knotted rope under my desk.

No sense in tempting fate. Having the rope would prevent the necessity of its use! Not having the rope would guarantee its need!

Eric The(IfItWereUpToMeNoBuildingWouldBeMoreThan2Stories!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Eric, you'd like the island of Kauai - they have a law that prevents any building taller than a palm tree from being built.  I think the only exception is the airport control tower.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
When I worked in Downtown L.A., we were on the 18th floor(really 19th cause the building was raised from the street level) on the corner of 5th and Figueroa. I always joked around that I should bring in my skydiving gear just in case. Course landing on the 110 FWY or smashing into the Manulife building did not make it for a good idea. At that height, we also had a lot of choppers fly by on a daily basis. Especially the back of the building was facing the 110 FWY. We had a lot news copters wizzin by.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, IF I worked in a sky scrapper you bet I'd have a parachute AND a shotgun to blow the window out!

I think what they'll eventually make are EMERGENCY EXIT WINDOWS in these building... once the WINDOW/DOOR is open there will be a nylon sack that you throw out the window.

Specifically it will be a nylon mesh "TUBE", you'd have to strip off your jewelry, belts, shoes and watches (anything that could catch) and slide down the tube.

Know what?  Firemen already have them and use them... For a 1000ft building though, you'd probably need one at least 1800ft as these dont drop straight down, gotta be angled down to control your descent as you slide... I dont know if they could make one long enough or not?

M.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I recall a fabric escape tube for very tall buildings that was created to control your speed through the tube. It prevented friction burns but still was fast enough to get you out quick.

Sorry, I can't remember where I saw the darn thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#9]
How about rappelling gear?
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
My first thought when hearing people were jumping, was a base-jump parachute.  I'll learn how to use it on the way down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
correct me if I am wrong aren't parachutes are very flammable and if so could a jumper get out far enough to avoid flames. How high would you have to be for a chute to open?
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
For those of you that are worried about the skill necessary to use a parachute.

Please remember that in this disaster, and others, there have always been plenty of people willing to jump without any parachute at all.  Suddenly, the possibility that you might scrape up against another building, or come down in traffic, seems a pleasant alternative. No?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top