Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2001 8:14:44 PM EDT
Got to play with a Smith and Weasle SW99 and wondered about the real thing from those crafty Bavarians.

Cong
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the green Military Model. It is a bit complex with all the operation features. Makes me wonder a bit about durability. If you want one, now is the time. CDNN has them advertised, either in Military Green, or Stainless slide, black frame, 9mm or .40 for $399. NIB. Besides it is way cool, being the new Jimmy Bond pistol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend at work who owns three. Two are his and his wife carries the third. All three seem very reliable. I have shot them a few times and I'm not as good with them as with my USP. A very good looking pistol. One day I would like to get one of the green military versions. My friend even stopped carrying his HK USP 45 for his 9mm P99. He was always a 45 man, but loves the high cap mags in the P99. 16 rounds is a lot of bang. I don't think I would stop carrying my USP, but each his own.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I've played with one but didn't care for the trigger pull. The grip comfort was fabulous with the 3 interchangable grips. I ended up not liking the hammerless design. One thing you need to relize is the p99 from cdnn is a double action only model which means that it is a fairly long pull for each round fired. They do make a quick action p99 that has alot shorter trigger take up and isn't as hard of a pull poundage wise.

hope this helps
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I own a P99 in 9 mm. Before I decide I tried also Glock (19 and 34). I didn't like so much the recoil of the Glock and the trigger pull. The P99, instead, once you rack the slide and and press the trigger THE FIRST TIME to switch off the safety, has a sweet and short trigger pull. Without after-pull collapsing. The Double action, instead, is fluid, and allows me to put at 25 mt. the first bullett inside the black of the olympic target. I found a better double action pull only in S&W or Colt revolvers...
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 P99s and a P990 (the DAO version) in 9mm. My son has 2 in .40cal. The DAO should be about $75 less than the P99. Don't buy a S&W copy. That is a P99 frame with a S&W action. I don't think I would have 3 if I didn't think they were the best so I won't bore you with details.  If you can buy them for $400, you should get a truck load as that is way below wholesale.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys,

My Department is looking for a new duty .40 and we mostly like the SW99.  But we'd like it in DAO and the rear sights look fragile.  I think we'll try to get a demo P990 soon.

Cong
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
cong

If you like the SW you should love the P99. The P990 is a fine weapon and less expensive (or should be) but if I was only going to have one I would want the P99. It has a de-cocker that makes the first shot DAO but subsequent shots are faster and smoother than the P990. I recommend at least trying both.  My P990 has the black frame and stainless slide and I have grown to like this combination more than the black\black or green\black.

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=178263&a=11224817&p=41175443[/img]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree on staying away from the S&W, it's just not the real thing. I love my Walther in .40, I wanted the military green version, but couldn't find one locally so I ended up settling for the black. It's accuracy/reliability is right up there with the rest, it's a definate good investment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a note:
The price on the Walthers just went up about $35 according to one source. If you can still find a P99 for $550 or less it might be a good time to grab one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Own? no.  Fondle? definately. [sex] Yes, definately.  [smoke]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]
vARmint,

I've got 4 P99's all in .40 and they've all been excellent firearms.  Much better than the SW99!  My latest is the P99QA.  Its trigger can best be descibed as being like a Glocks.  I would recommend you get one of these for your departments review.

I wouldn't worry about the sights.  They have held up very well for me.  I've used my P99's in IDPA competition for over two years now and they've performed extremely well.  Also the fact that you can adjust the backstrap for different sized hands will be a bonus for your department.  The pistol also comes with 4 different front sight blades to adjust for elevation on your specific ammo type.

Devin
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I own one and loved it.  Plan on buying another one with QA (Quick Action).  Also had the laser and tac light mounted on it, look awesome. Very accurate. Fit my hand nicely with the lowest back strap, and it is very light. I had the laser and tac light mounted on it and it weights the same as my Beretta 92FS stainless.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#13]
vARmint cong,

Interesting you bring this up.  A buddy of mine bought a P99 last fall in .40.  I liked the feel but didn't really care for the trigger although I was just dry firing.  About a month ago I saw the Walther CP99 pellet pistol on gunbroker.com and ended up buying one for $118.  Best money I ever spent.  Same weight and feel as the real one and holds 1" groups in the garage.  Practicing my sight picture and pull is several times a week now with something that feels like what I do on the weekends.  I'm a Sig person (230, 229, and 239) but am in the process of buying a P99 since it feels so good in the hand.  The guy I bought the pellet pistol from is a Walther dealer so I'm picking up the P99 from him.  There's several models with the "cheap one" you normally see ($399) actually being a P990 which is DAO.  The P99 QA is SA only and works like a Glock.  The classic P99 is DA/SA and is running in the upper $500-650 range.  I picked mine up for $569.99 plus $15 shipping.  Did a lot of checking last week and it looks like Walther just raised their prices $25 so if you can find someone that has one in stock now's the time to do it otherwise expect to pay more.

spyder

PS - There was a guy at the range this past weekend with a SW99 and raving about it.  He thought it was great until he shot another guys Walther P99 then shut up.  I didn't get to shoot the SW99 but there must be a big difference since he looked pretty disappointed with his toy afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#14]
vARmint cong,

I must express that I wish your department would reconsider, not because the P99 is a bad weapon or anything, but I hate to see Scoundrel and Weasel in business after the deals with the devil they have made.

I saw Dan Wesson the other night, he appeared to me in a dream and he told me never to even consider another S&W  purchase.

Tell them to buy it from Walther.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Gemeinschaft
I've tried to steer them away from S&W for more reasons than their legal perfidy.  The Walther looks pretty good except that Sneak and Wrangle are now their importers.  That will probably change as time passes.

Cong
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I was under the impression that the SW99 and the P99 were joint ventures between Walther and S&W. If this is true, then why do they shoot so differently? If i remember correctly, the lower is manufactured by Walthers and the slide assembly is built by S&W. One would think that they would shoot more or less the same. Enlighten me. [:\]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#17]
P99 is the Genuine German Goods. SW99 is lower that Walther sold to Smith and Weasel for them to fuck up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]
the walther p99 is very comfortable to hold and aim. i do however dont like the paddle magazine release. i have to cant the pistol almost sideways in order to eject the mag. otherwise a worthy addition to a pistol shooters collection

[pistol]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#19]
One more point. Check to see if the SW99 is +P rated. A P99 or P990 will handle +P+ loads with no problem. As will any decent pistol.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#20]
RSeacord,

The P99 was originally developed by Walther and Walther only.  S&W came into the picture after the vice-pres. of S&W was visiting the plant in Germany to discuss the CO2 pistols that Walther's parent company Umarex builds for S&W.  When the V.P. first saw the pistol he thought it was ok, but after it was released in the U.S. he made another trip back to Germany and a deal was made.  The story was the V.P. of S&W saw a great potential for the pistol to be sold to the law enforcement community and to replace the failing SIGMA line.  

I have compaired the two side by side and the SW99 is crap compaired to the P99.  I hate the Melonite finish on the SW99.  All the brand new SW99's that I've seen have already had some of this finish worn off.  And when you pull the slide back it feels and sounds like a bunch of sand is in the gun.  The P99 however has a nice Tennifer finish.  I know that their QPQ model (which is the silver slide model) goes through a quench of tennifer, buff, and then another quench of Tennifer.  Hence the name QPQ!  I would almost bet that they do this with the black tennifer also.  Walther's have always been known for there beauty and one of the reasons is they take the time to make the gun look nice.  Have you ever seen a brand new Walther PP or PPK with its deep shiny blueing?  Just Beautiful!!!!  The P99 is no different.  They use a different finish than the PP series (tennifer vs blueing) but you can tell they still have that pride in making a beautiful, reliable, high quality product.

Go for the P99!!!  I did, I've got 4! [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#21]
libertarian,

Have you tried using you shooting finger instead of your thumb?  I use this method and it has proven for me to be very fast in dropping a mag.  I know some guys who have used their middle finger also.

It takes a little getting use to, especially if your use to using you thumb, but it works great on the P99 or HK pistols.

Devin
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I can say without a doubt, that it is the finest pistol I have ever had the priviledge of shooting/owning...  and I've owned lots and lots of guns.

Right now, I've got about 6 of them in the vault -- a couple are for sale too ([i]only P990's for sale[/i]).
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My Walther P99 in .40 is my favorite pistol. I sold a Glock 17 and Sig 229 and kept the P99 if that tells you anything. I carry a Glock 33 for CCW mainly because it's smaller. If I find a good holster for the P99 may retire the 33 to the safe. It is lighter, more accurate and has less recoil than a Glock 23C. I was told the P88 hi-caps will work in it too. Get at least one.

Craig
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Craig,

The P88 magazine won't work in your P99 .40.  The P88 and P88 Compacts are 9mm only.  If you had a 9mm it would work.  There are a few 12 round hi-caps for the P99 floating around, but they are expensive.  The cheapest I've seen is $87.

The P88 full size is actually my most favorite pistol.  The P99 is a close second.

Devin
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for clearing that up Devin. I can't see paying that much for only 2 more rounds. I'd rather buy 2 10 rounders for less than one of the 12s.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Double tapping with my P99 is like running a Porche after driving a Honda for years.....Religious experience.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow!  I posted this question on two different boards and uniformly got positive feedback. [8D]
And this is my first two page topic [8D]

Now something will happen to keep da' boss from Okaying this [:(] I just know it.

Thanks guys

Cong
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top