Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 8:29:15 AM EDT
CAN SOMEBODY GIVE ME INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CONVERT A STEYR AUG FROM LEFT SIDED EJECTION TO RIGHT SIDE EJECTION?I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE BUT NEED SOME HELP.THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
First, you need to find the Caps Lock.  [:P]

Converting an AUG from left to right side ejection merely consists of installing a right-hand bolt and moving the ejection port cover over to the left side.

Are you sure you don't have your left/right sides mixed up?  All AUGs come standard with a right-hand bolt installed and you have to find a rare left-hand bolt somewhere to convert it.  I have a left-hand bolt for my AUG and it's fun to shoot it that way, but I rarely do it.  (Not being a "sinister" person and all.)

And, no - my left-hand bolt is not for sale.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
THANKS FOR THE REPLY.THE AUG BELONGED TO MY BEST FRIEND WHO PASSED AWAY RECENTLY.HE WAS A LEFT HANDED SHOOTER AND WE SHOT THE AUG TOGETHER ABOUT 5 MOS. AGO.BECAUSE OF THE AWKWARDNESS OF THIS HE EXPLAINED TO ME THAT HE HAD CONVERTED IT AND THAT IT WAS FAIRLY EASY TO PUT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL RIGHT HAND CONFIGURATION.WHAT EXACTLY WOULD I BE LOOKING FOR IN REGARDS TO WHAT YOU MENTIONED?IS THERE SOME SORT OF PARTS DIAGRAM I COULD LOOK AT OR REFER TO?I DONT EVEN HAVE AN OWNERS MANUAL.IS THERE SOME WAY TO OBTAIN ONE?THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
First make sure you have the right-hand bolt.  The head will look a lot like an AR-15 bolt with the locking lugs, but the body is the same diameter all the way down with no gas rings.

AUGs are a little weird to take apart, and I wouldn't want to try to talk you through it in this little box of text.  But you can view an on-line manual at:

[url]http://www.steyr-aug.com[/url]

or buy one off ebay -

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1004683404[/url]

You also can find them at gun shows.

Basically you're going to remove the buttplate and trigger group, then pull the receiver out of the stock.  Slide the bolt carrier assembly out of the receiver, and twist the firing pin to disassemble the bolt.  You'll need to look at the manual to see the buttons to push to take everything apart.

Here's a tip - pull back on the charging handle to cock the hammer before removing the trigger group.

The hardest part of reassembly is getting the little cage in place on the bolt before putting it back into the bolt carrier.  And, like the AR, the firing pin holds the cam pin in place.

Good luck, and read the manual!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
AUGs are simple. Press the dimple in rear of buttstock and remove rear sling swivel.

Hammer group will come out and bolt can be ejected. NO need to remove reciver.

Change bolt assewmbly to right hand and change ejection port cover.

Replace hammer group. Replace buttpad. Press dimple. Insert sling swivel. Done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn! For a minute there I thought this thread was some kind of "kick SteyrAUG off the board" poll!!!!   [:D]

FWIW, my vote was going to be [b]NO![/b]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hammer group will come out and bolt can be ejected. NO need to remove reciver.
View Quote

I hate to argue this point with someone called "SteyrAUG" [:P] but I can tell you that on [i]my[/i] AUGs the bolt carrier will definitely not come out the back of the stock.  (A little matter of the recoil spring guides doing their job.)

I think you need to take a look at your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hate to argue this point with someone called "SteyrAUG" [:P] but I can tell you that on [i]my[/i] AUGs the bolt carrier will definitely not come out the back of the stock.  (A little matter of the recoil spring guides doing their job.)

I think you need to take a look at your rifle.
View Quote

You know what? OOPS. Been around HKs too long. Lack of sleep may cause firearm dyslexia.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Its easy as, just done 10 AUGs on Tuesday...

First clear the weapon, and follow the steps below

1. Strip wpn

2. Remove EPC by manipulating metal retainer and sliding off the EPC

3. Using silasatic (silicone compound), dab some on the retaining clip, and;

4. re-instal the the EPC on the other side of the stock assy, by sliding over the retainer clip

5. Strip LH bolt from slide assy

6. Replace with RH bolt

7. WARNING - Prior to any live fire, the new bolt MUST be headspaced uusing a suitable HS gauge such as the standard Austeyr 5.56mm 37.41mm.

8. Going LIVE without a proper HS could result in catastrophic failure resulting in damage to the rifle and/or operator.

9. So headspace it. Have it done if you don't have the gauge.

1feral1
Sydney  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top