Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2001 7:19:50 PM EDT
My wife is now thinking of buying a self defense gun. She likes the Glocks and she shots well with mine but she want this to be a firearm that she can use for just home self defense and SHTF defense. I only have about $600 to spend for the firearm and the ammo(More like thats all she will let me spend.)

I was thinking of getting a M1 carbine for her but the ammo is a lot of $$ that's the only down side I saw about it. I was also looking at a Winchester 94 in 357mag. I also saw one of thou SAR-3 the AK that shoot's 223 but I have not heard anything about them.

I'd like you guys to tell me what you think I should get her the Carbine or the pistol. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, $600?
HS2000- under $300
SAR-2(low recoil for the ladies) - under $250
Then buy magazines and ammo with left over money.

Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
SAR-2, or 3 would be good.

Aimsurplus has the SAR-2 for about 250, ammo is 120 per 1000 rounds.  Have to look at the situation though, if it a home defense gun, prolly want a handgun.  SHTF gun, probably want the AK.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, ARlady loves the 5.45 AKs as the SAR-2s are.  I would buy one for myself, but I have been put on a gun diet so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to get the 223 AK type rifle because I have about 1000rd of 223 ammo that I'm not going to use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to get the 223 AK type rifle because I have about 1000rd of 223 ammo that I'm not going to use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
the only problem I have with .223 AKs are finding mags.  If you can find them, go for it.

I think the 5.45 recoils less, but that is just me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
What brand .223 do you have on hand? I remember one KB in a Sar-3 with a certain .223 that was too hot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What brand .223 do you have on hand? I remember one KB in a Sar-3 with a certain .223 that was too hot.
View Quote

I't is a Romanian SAR-3

I have never shot a 7.62x39 how bad do the recoil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are thinking of a carbine take a good look at the Ruger PC9 or PC4. They are chambered in 9mm and 40 S&W.
I have a PC9 and use it for home. Have maybe 750 rnds in it now and the only time it did not feed is w/ crap USA mags. The PC's use the mags from Rugers P-series autos.
Accuracy is excellent, trigger is heavy. This is a police cabine built and designed like a Ruger.

Allen
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I meant .223 ammo that you mentioned you had 1000 rounds of. I think it was S&B .223 that had the problem with the sar-3.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry, I meant .223 ammo that you mentioned you had 1000 rounds of. I think it was S&B .223 that had the problem with the sar-3.
View Quote

Sorry it's some Blackhill most of it is WOLF
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi ya Tayous, I'll take the other side of the coin.  If it's for you get whatever.  for her a pistol may be the ticket.  She could take it with her.  Like outside gardening, yard work, hanging cloths ect.  Inside she can take it downstairs upstairs, in the bath with her. In other words she can have it on her in alot of home places she won't take a rifle.  In secluded homes this is a plus.  The small Glock 9mm is light enough to carry well, yet simple to operate.
 Don't drop the M1carbine cause ammo costs.  The straight wall cases will reload easy so cost can be alot cheaper than buying.  But teach her to hit the chargeing handle when chambering the first rnd, make it a habit.  JB  
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Mini-14, Ar180B, AR15.  If you get an m1 carbine, make sure it's a good one that works.  I've been dissapointed with a couple.

The Mini-14 my not shoot moa, but it's easy to use, light and reliable with good mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
> I have never shot a 7.62x39 how bad do the recoil.
>

The 7.62x39 round doesn't recoil very much at all.  Less than an AR-15 .223 for instance, less than my swedish mauser (which is a *very* easy to shoot military caliber rifle).

My wife, who is very small (5' 0" - 110 lbs), hasn't shot my AK yet but I'm planning to let her and don't expect she'll have any trouble with the recoil.

Actually, my AK-47 has become one of the favorites when me and my buddies go to the range -- I *always* have to bring the AK and plenty of ammo.

- CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My wife, who is very small (5' 0" - 110 lbs)

- CD
View Quote

My wife has the same problem she 5'2 and 110 lbs.

Now she just told me she likes the lever action rifle because it looks easy to use. I don't know she is driving me crazy.

Now this gun is only going to be used if the SHTF or if someone enters the house and she knows where and how to use my Glock 22. I think I just may have to brake out the old S&W 39-2 and get some 9mm JHP for it and buy here a rifle. I don't know yet. I thank you guys for your help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I’d suggest getting her the Glock.  It’s easier to move around in a dwelling with a handgun than a rifle.  This also frees up the weak hand for a flashlight, flipping light switches, opening doors, dialing 911, etc.  

It’s easier to conceal a handgun while having it readily available - can you imagine her trying to answer the door with a rifle? Also,a close-in attacker can deflect a rifle much easier than a pistol. Further, the rifle has a manual safety that has to be fiddled with.

I’ve read that the newer Winchester lever guns are hard to cycle because of their redesigned fire control system.  I don’t know if this is true.   Obviously loading a rifle with a tubular magazine with loose rounds is slower than using a box magazine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
There is nothing wrong with a lever gun--they are slow to reload, but reliable and fairly accurate.

I think, given what you have mentioned would be an ideal gun combo for under $600 would be a .357 revolver (small, like a ladysmith or sp-101) and a lever gun in the same caliber.  You can shoot light .38's out of either for target shooting, heavy/hot rounds for defense, and the .357 lever gun will do for close range hunting also.  Ammo is not expensive, it is not limited to finding good magazines, and they are very good guns in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.  And, if you wife likes them and is willing to practice with them, it would be much better than some combat tupperware or sport utility rifle that she won't touch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top