Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2001 6:29:54 AM EDT
I have taken for granted at flying it at full staff that I have forgotten how to fly it in a situation like this (WTC). Should I fly it at half staff, upside down, or upside down at half staff. Thank you. My blessings go out to all the victims plus their families and the nation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:32:44 AM EDT
I saw fly it normally and proudly. I don't believe civilans should fly flags at half-staff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:36:52 AM EDT
I am flying "Dont Tread On Me"
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:40:48 AM EDT
Fly it at full staff. Do not lower the flag in response to war or terrorism. If we did, the terrorists would make a game of never letting it get back up! When "the flag was still there" at Ft. McHenry, it was at FULL STAFF. The Govener of Georgia announced that it should be lowered. BS! He should find another way to get his sound bite out of this tragedy!
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:46:13 AM EDT
Then full staff it is. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2001 6:54:20 AM EDT by JacRyan]
I too am interested in the formalities of how the flag is flown and under what circumstances should it be flown at other than full staff. Though I agree that in this situation we should not cower to terrorists and should fly it proudly at full staff. EDITED to say what I forgot to type (sorry, not thinking clearly today). Can anybody post the formal guidelines for flying the flag? TIA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:56:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:10:44 AM EDT
Half-Staff The flag when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day, the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. - In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory or possession may proclaim that the National flag may be flown at half-staff. * NOTE: the U.S. flag should always be on its own right in relation to other flags on adjacent staffs -- to the left of the observer. Excerpts from The Flag Code of The United States - Public Law 94-344, July 7, 1976 [url]http://www.qflags.com/flag_etiquette.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:16:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:24:37 AM EDT
[size=6]PROUDLY[/size=6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2001 7:41:22 AM EDT by pcr4]
"Should I fly it at half staff, upside down, or upside down at half staff" Why the HELL, would you EVER fly our symbol of freedom UPSIDE DOWN?!!!! PCR4
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:40:52 AM EDT
I lowered mine to half-staff, as I see most flags around here. It's NOT business as usual.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:13:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pcr4: Why the HELL, would you EVER fly our symbol of freedom UPSIDE DOWN?!!!!
View Quote
According to US code Sec 4 a. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
Top Top