Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2001 11:50:46 AM EDT
Right now, obviously, anything we say about what actually happened on the planes themselves is pure speculation. But let's address some of the possibilities.
One would think that the terrorist, whom ever they are, would have used trained pilots on the planes. They would not have to this trouble only to risk having a pilot refuse the orders of a hijakcer ordering them to crash into the WTC, Pentagon or whatever.
If that is the case then what happened with the fourth plane that crashed in PA?
Was the hijacker an idiot and crashed before he could reach his target?
Were they counting on the pilots obeying orders and this one refused and elected to crash in a field?
Did the pilot or someone else on the crew or passenger struggle with the terrorist and force the crash there? (There are reports of passenger calling on a cell phone telling someone they were being hijacked.)

What type of training are pilots now going to receive to prevent this in the future?

It is all guessing right now but nonetheless things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm.........
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
My theory, and it's just that, is that the Pittsburgh plane was shot down by the Air Force after the cell phone call was heard. Like you said, you've go to believe that the pilots were shot immediately, and the hijackers took over the controls.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought of this earlier...  Re-model all plane controls to be "smart controls"  They can only be handled by someone with certain fingerprints or bio signatures.  Retna scans etc.  If someone else tries to gain control, the computer takes over and lands at a programed airport.

Pretty good idea if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#3]

I am with malpaso on this...

maybe the plane got shotdown ...

It it did, we will not hear of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Right now, obviously, anything we say about what actually happened on the planes themselves is pure speculation. But let's address some of the possibilities.
One would think that the terrorist, whom ever they are, would have used trained pilots on the planes. They would not have to this trouble only to risk having a pilot refuse the orders of a hijakcer ordering them to crash into the WTC, Pentagon or whatever.
If that is the case then what happened with the fourth plane that crashed in PA?
Was the hijacker an idiot and crashed before he could reach his target?
Were they counting on the pilots obeying orders and this one refused and elected to crash in a field?
Did the pilot or someone else on the crew or passenger struggle with the terrorist and force the crash there? (There are reports of passenger calling on a cell phone telling someone they were being hijacked.)

What type of training are pilots now going to receive to prevent this in the future?

It is all guessing right now but nonetheless things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm.........
View Quote

I too have speculated that terrorists have been taking flying lessons.

They will see who had their hands on the yoke.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree. The other plane was probably shot down. The people on that plane were dead as soon as the terrorists took control of it, they just did not relize it yet. A tough thing to do, but I think the right choice.

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Post from njogi -
maybe the plane got shotdown ...If it did, we will not hear of it.
View Quote

Of course, we'll hear if the plane was shot down! There is such a thing as the 'secret too big to keep' and that would certainly be one!

Eric The(IThinkThePilotDownedIt)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
"What type of training are pilots now going to receive to prevent this in the future?"

Access to the flight deck from the main cabin will vanish.  Flight crews will have their own outside access doors.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
It isn't likely that the pilots of the fourth plane were even in a position to hear what was transpiring throughout the East coast.  A terrorist had to have been flying the plane.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]

i can't imagine the terrorists not flying. no pilot would knowingly crash into a building or populated area..even with a gun to his head.

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]

and it seems that in a hijacking it would be highly unlikely the real pilots (even if they were still alive) would know what was going on in DC and NY.

unless that crew was certain their plane was to be a weapon, it would be foolish to crash it. most hijackings end without a crash.

maybe there was some type of pasenger uprising. but, a pilot i heard from just after it happened was seriously upset and maintained a belief that plane was shot down.

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Wouldnt be cool if there was a way to have a super secret trap door sort of device waiting for Hijackers!  Maybe into a small pit full of something nasty waiting for them!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]
All of the planes were, I believe, 757 or 767s.  These are apparently highly automated and very easy to fly, and anyone with rudimentary piloting skills could fly (but maybe not land) them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
One would think that the terrorist, whom ever they are, would have used trained pilots on the planes.
View Quote

Rumors are Bin Laden has/had pilots trained for just such an attack.  

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The PA plane had to have been shot down, or there was a struggle that crashed the plane.  My guess is that the plane was shot down.  No commercial pilot would crash their plane into a building.

The planning of this attach was superb.  Most of the planes were only 15-20% full, they were computerized (easy to dial in a precise coordinate for a "landing"), and they were loaded with fuel.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a feeling the Pittsburgh plane pilot was fighting with the hijacker when it crashed.  This crash happened fairly quick while the 911 caller was speaking.

If the plane were shot down, there won't be a coverup.  Must of us would understand the dire need to remove the threat.

I would like to see a secure door leading to the cockpit, and arm the flight crew.  

Shoot the hijackers, no compromise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
"I agree. The other plane was probably shot down. The people on that plane were dead as soon as the terrorists took control of it, they just did not relize it yet. A tough thing to do, but I think the right choice."

You may be right.

Every one loves freedom but not all can stomache the price.

God rest the poor people no that plane and God help the poor guy that had to down them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I took a second look, and all of the planes were 767s or 757s.
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/flights.casualites/index.html[/url]
As far as there being some kind of fight betwen the pilot and the terrorists in the PA plane, a passenger saw smoke and heard an explosion before it went down. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=50771[/url]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]
According to CNBC's latest report, senior intelligence agents are reporting that Bin Laden is indeed the most likely suspect.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Perhaps an air marshall was on board the flight that crashed in PA, and was able to prevent an even greater tragedy.

40MIKE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top