Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2001 4:51:59 PM EDT
Mine was made in northern Missouri while hunting doves over a milo field.A single blast from my 1100 12 ga. using federal #8 dropped a trio,of which 2 fell within 3 feet of me.The 3'rd landed about 6 feet away.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
This one time, at band camp: I purposely nicked a gnats ball at a about 1500yds with a 10-22 using a Tasco 3x9 scope once. Did it round midnite in a middle of a thick fog. I had one shot that was better, but I don't wanna brag [@:D]

R U kidding me.... I can't shoot for shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey man,Luck Counts!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey man,Luck Counts!
View Quote

Yup that about explains the way I shoot.

I just felt like giving you a hard time on your post. That was a pretty good shot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was about 16, a sparrow flew over my head and dumped on me. I was using a Crosman American Classic pump-up rifle. I spun and shot at the bird, dusting feathers off him. Didn't drop him, but it was close.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I just hit the big white bowl.....not so white now....
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
773 yard shot on a woodchuck with a 25-06.

Quoted:
Mine was made in northern Missouri while hunting doves over a milo field.A single blast from my 1100 12 ga. using federal #8 dropped a trio,of which 2 fell within 3 feet of me.The 3'rd landed about 6 feet away.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I was watching T.V and there was a mouse peering at me from behind a speaker about 10 feet away,
so i got a shitty ass marksman pellet gun rifle, and put a nail into it, and i hit the mouse in the head
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I mention LIES also work well on this forum?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I was out shooting with Sara and she tells me to hit this 15 gallon water jug and make it flip into the air with my .308. It was empty.  I told her that was a difficult thing to do as the jug was about 75 paces away and I had iron sites.  I took it anyway after going through a mental checklist that went something like this:

1: check for windage
2: wait for wind to pick up
3: once wind gusts, take shot and blame wind for making you miss.

Well, I took the shot and low and behold, Jojo did it! I never thought that I could have done it and I was very impressed with myself.  Wasn't luck, I knew where I should have to hit it to make it possible and I did make it.  

Only, I didn't make one of those "Range BJ" bets so I was still a loser in this situation.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Working as a training Sgt. on the New Orleans Police Dept. I was out with a new hire, working the Warehouse dist. by the river.  Got out of the unit, looking at shit when the rookie asks me if I can shoot worth a shit?????????  At that time a butterfly lands about four feet in front of me, I put the gun out and shoot, it blows the body out, the wings fall to the ground.  talk about a lucky shot, I put the gun in my holster, and said, "Is that worth a Shit"  This guy thought that I was the best shot in the world.  If he only knew how lucky it really was.  Made a lucky shot in Viet Nam but that another story.
Simper Fi
Bill
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My very first shot with a Kel Tec P32.  I hit a 2" bulls eye at 30 feet.  About 300 shots later, I still haven't duplicated that feat.  

Those little guns are hard to fire.  I can only get one finger around the grip.  My first finger is on the trigger, the second around the grip, and my third and fourth end-up under the grip.  That doesn't make for a stable platform to pull the long and hard trigger against.  Also, it shoots about 12" lower than the point of aim at 30 feet.  I've gotten laughed at several times at the range.  They stop laughing after I offer to let them shoot the little thing.  I let one range officer go through two mags, and he didn't hit the paper a single time.  He hasn't given me a hard time since.  Of course, I played a dirty trick on him.  I didn't tell him to aim at the top of the target.z
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
1 CROW AT 425 YARDS WITH A SAVAGE 110FP TACTICAL, 308 WIN.   168GR FEDERAL MATCH. WHAT A MESS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
In 1983 it was the opening day in Oklahoma for deer, rabbit, squirrel,and quail...maybe duck too, i don't remember..I had an over/under browning 20 guage..looking for quail because they are fun to shoot and good cooked with wine and gravy... anyway i saw movement and it was a BIG buck (for those parts) I waited till he slipped behind a cedar tree and put a slug in the top barrel..when he walked out from the other side, i got a perfect sight picture from about 40 yards...and was leaning on the top of a fence post....I MISSED!!!! I'm still pissed after all these years...
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
You'll never believe it...neither did I.But with a 3X9-32 scoped 10/22 @ 75 yrds.I aimed for and hit a white moth/butterfly in motion w/in 3 ft of my target.BOY DID THAT MAKE MY DAY!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]
i was sighting in my hs4000 electromagnetic rail gun at 2,000 miles, you know, the .0002 caliber one that shoots it's pellet at 42,000 f.p.s,  when a cottontail rabbit popped up about 6 miles behind me, and just sit there and stared at me, kind of daring me, you know, so, i aimed ahead really really high, and shot it in the back! :]
willy
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Took a whistlepig at over 400 yds. with my Remington 700 Varmint in .223 Rem. It was a really good shot considering that there was about a 15-20mph crosswind with alot of mirage to boot.
I was shooting 50gr. Ballistic Tips and I was pretty impressed with the performance of this bullet with this particular rifle.
Too bad I didn't have a rangefinder, it would have been nice to have really known what the distance was instead of pacing it off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
With my 552 Rem Speedmaster and cheap Tasco scope zeroed at 50 yds I lined up on a black bird (grackle) sitting in a hedge apple tree roughly 150 yards away.

I held just a bit over his back and dropped him......splat........with a CCI Stinger .22.

Took me 10 minutes to get my mouth shut again!
I did kill a running Tom cat intent on raping my neutered female cat, with a single shot from my Glock 17.  Cat shot about 10 feet up in the air and landed int he street dead..dead..dead.  Twas' a head shot at that.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Yesterday in a modified Palma match, with my DCM AR15 (A2 sights-no scope) from the prone position at 1000 yards in a 20 mph cross wind. Put my third shot right in the X ring. Didn't get another X but it was my first match at 1000. It got me pretty excited.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my best shot (lucky shots) happened this weekend.

Couple of guys I recently met at a gun shop and I went shooting our AR's on Saturday out at a outdoor "range" where I has 2 steel steel plates set at about 50 or 60 yards. I had quickly emptied a 30 round mag at the plates then pulled my 1911 pistol out of the hip holster and shot 2 quick rounds from the hip and I hit both plates.  Suprised the hell out of all the guys (and me).  Afterwards I just acted real cool and holstered the pistol and walked back to my car to get another mag as if I do this all the time. I thought their jaw was going to hit the floor.

They thought I was GOD for rest of the day.      

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]
My buddy's father in law has a commercial orchard and gets crop damage mangement permits for deer. Translation; open season on whitetail deer day or night on his property. Well late one evening We were meat hunting and spot lighted three deer about 175 yards away up hill in the orchard. I killed the first two where they stood with one shot each shooting off hand halfway in and out of the truck with a Ruger M77 in .300 Win. mag. The third managed to get away un harmed. I thought it was a pretty good shooting being that it was up hill in the dark at 175 yards. And I'm a little embarrassed to admit that we had been drinking a little.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I shot a deer (he's a HUGE nine pointer and he's hanging on my wall) at somewhere between 75 and 100 yards on a dead run with iron sights. This was in thich woods and brush in Mid Missouri.

I know what your saying, but here's the kicker.

I did it with an AK. I swear.

edited because I can....
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I hit a soda can at 15' with an NAA mini revolver.  That gun has a 1" barrel, no rear sight and a handle smaller than my thumb.  That gun is designed to give the target a sporting chance, even if you push the barrel into the target before firing. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Using an AR at 50yds, I cut down a 3/8" fiberglass rod that was swinging wildly...  TWICE!

DonR will try to lie and say the he "helped", but Ed Avila, ([i]jr and sr[/i]) were on hand to witness this single handed act property damage as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I shot a toilet bowl that my buddy just removed from his house.  In case anyone is wondering, the .338 Winmag/Rem 700 is the correct match for that particular vermin.  One shot one kill, it didn't have a chance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I have two. I can't decide which to choose, so here goes.

The first one was a couple of months ago I was out shooting and a friend of mine(MOD16) let me shoot his 7mm mag at a lawnmower.  I took the shot and it went right through the engine and lit it on fire, everyone was impressed but I knew it was just luck.

The second shot was at a range.  My friend was shooting his mini 14 at a bottle that was about 150 yds away.  We set the bottle with the neck down with a piece of wood in the mouth to hold it to the stand.  He shot and shot but could not make the bottle move.  I told him to step aside and just threw my AR to my shoulder and fired with both eyes open.  The bullet went right through the neck and left the mouth still on the stand while the rest of it spun off.  He laughed and said "I gotta get one of those."  Luck on my part again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Worst and best:
Missed a black bear at about 200 yds who then promptly tore off, uphill, through blueberry bushes and trees. I don't know if you've ever seen the brush in Western Washington or a scared shitless black bear run, it can be thick and they are FAST.
So here I am with my partner screaming behind me 'cause I missed the shot, and I slowly exhaled and tracked the bear.
Bear/brush/bear/tree/tree/brush/bear/brush/tree/bear/tree/bear/brush/tree/bear-BOOM. I heard it thwack and saw him torque away from me.
Rangefinder said 242 yds to the tree I found the bullet in. Incline was about 40-45 degrees. Shot hit just behind left shoulder and exited about 4 inches forward of right-rear hip.
Ruger M77VT .308 w/Nikon 5.5x16.5x44
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#28]
This weekend shooting with guys from the FAL files board - I got a flying clay with my LEGP AR.  Lucky!!!

Tate
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#29]
My lucky shot happpened last Thursday afternoon.
I had shot up  2 20 rd mag and a ten round
mag and couldnt hit shit.I was about ready to call it day.I had one more 20 round mag ready to go,so I set up my four rocks, 3 on top of the pallet and one on top of a short post in front of the pallet.
I fired 16 rounds and missed!Boy was I bummed out!Then it happened, I busted all four rocks with the last four rounds. It happened so fast I couldnt believe it!I still cant believe!
I started on the left then dropped down for the one on the post then straight up for the third and to the right for the fourth one.
I called it a day after that. [smash]    
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I shot a toilet bowl that my buddy just removed from his house.  In case anyone is wondering, the .338 Winmag/Rem 700 is the correct match for that particular vermin.  One shot one kill, it didn't have a chance.
View Quote

Damn! I've got that same rifle!  What was the yardage?  
"I gotta git me one of them torlet bowls ta shoot!!!"
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#32]
One of my most memorable.  Riding down the road on some farmland my family members own in a pick-up with my M1-A.  Suddenly I see a crow at about 75 yds.  My friend hits the brakes and swerves into a small turnoff.  Truck is still rollin as I open the door, prop on the door frame, throw a loaded mag in, lock the bolt, and take aim.  Within I'd say 20 seconds of spotting the bird while running 50 down the road with an unloaded rifle, it was history.

120yd. head shot on a whitetail doe with Rem. 700Sendero 300 win. mag with ballistic tips, end of story.

Shot a turtle out of the water once with an M1-A.  Ever seen a turtle do a mid-air acrobatic display?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
A jump shot on a pheasant out of the air with a Wrist Rocket sling shot and a rock.  No S#!+

15 years old.  A once in a life time.  The rooster jumped up in front of me and I just reacted with a snap shot at him.  I hit him and he folded.  I brought him home and my grandmother help me scald the feathers off of him and we had him for dinner.[kill]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I was about 11 years old and at a neighbors as he was trying out his new pellet rifle.  We were taking some practice shots at Star Wars action figures and the neighbor wanted to bet me his bike vs. mine that I couldn't hit an r2d2 that was posted on the pool fence about twenty yards away.  After some back and forth bargaining I took the shot and sent the thing flying.  I don't think I have ever felt so much satisfaction.  It wasn't just the shot, but that it was a shot under pressure for real stakes.   My mom made me give the bike back though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#35]
During the summer of my eighth grade year, I was in the back yard with my trusty pellet gun.  A lizard was bouncing up and down on top of the fence which was approximately 40 feet away.  I took careful aim and blew it's head off which splatterd all over the shed behind the lizard.  I was stunned that I even hit it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not sure if it's my best, but I shot a field mouse once from 100+ yards with a CCI Stinger from one of my 10/22s.
Here's a pic:

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/qv/c5/Hb/DW12919.jpg[/img]
[:D]

First shot kill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the best shots I ever made was at a running groundhog. I was riding in the back of a truck across a somewhat rough field, the hog was headed full speed away at a 90 degree angle, the grass was a little tall and in some spots I could see his back, I tried to follow him to a low spot and pulled the trigger when I thought he and the bullet would intersect. They did. The truck never slowed the whole time and I would guess our speed was about 10 mph, pure luck on my part.[uzi]
Edited to add the distance was about 40-45 yards. Weapon was a Remington 514 single shot .22
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it's my best, but I shot a field mouse once from 100+ yards with a CCI Stinger from one of my 10/22s.
Here's a pic:

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/qv/c5/Hb/DW12919.jpg[/img]
[:D]

First shot kill.
View Quote
.....[;)] thats the ""coolest"" 10/22 I ever did see! gollllliieeeee,were the stingers those funny greentips too?[:o][;)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#39]
My luckiest shot occured when I was about 16. I had a 70lb draw Bear Compound bow, with 125 grain Grizzly broadhead on an Easton 2217 I think.  I was about 40 yards away from a nice fat dove on a powerline, behind this was about 1 square mile of Citrus Grove, so I figured I had a suitable backdrop.  Anyway I took the shot and damned if that wasn't my quickest cleanest kill of all time.

Dove took the arrow in the midsection, and immediately fell to the ground, arrow still inside.  Best use of full energy I've seen in my life.  That dove was definately not kicking anymore.

also many dragonflys and bees have died at the other end of my slingshot in the day.

Steven L.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I can usually hit what I'm aiming at with a half way accurate firearm, at known ranges but my best shot was deer hunting one time.

I was sitting in a make shift blind on the edge of a cedar swamp.  A stinking red squirrel was up in a tree chattering at me from about 20 yards away.  He knew I was there and was giving me all kinds of serious shit.

Well I got pretty sick of it and looked around and found a good chucking rock and grabbed it.

It was pretty thick in there with lots of over hanging branches between me and the squirrel and I had to make a couple of very complex trajectory computations in my head in order to get the rock where it needed to go without deflecting off any obstacles.

I complete the computations and with only hope of hitting the branch and scaring the critter off, I launch the rock.

The rock seems to travel in slow motion just over the top of some branches and just missing under others and at about half way through it's trajectory I'm thinking it looks pretty good.

At about three yards from it's intended point of impact I'm hoping to hit the branch pretty close to where the squirrel sits.

Whack! Right up side the squirrels head.  Down he comes and bounces off the forest floor and begins doing that death quiver.

He was too busy giving me shit that he never saw it coming.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#41]
About 39 years ago I was in my back yard with my trusty Benjamin Sheridan pump pellet rifle when the usual flock of crows started flying over the neighborhood as they did every summer day about that time.  In the lead was the scout, about 100yds in front and alone.  I had about 10pumps in the rifle and a #6 lead shot.  As it happened, that old crow flew virtually directly over me at about 150-200 feet altitude, taking away a bit of (z-axis) deflection but I still had to allow for speed.  I took the shot and SURPRISE!! the bird fell out of the sky, dead as a doornail.  Unreal.  I have never seen or done anything like that since.  Luckiest shot I ever saw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#42]
The target...about the size of your thumbnail,
Distance...75 to 80 feet,
Crossman BB rifle..1 shot..dead on.
Only problem was the target was the lighted dial of the brand new T.V. in the living room.

I was sighting in my new toy which wasn't loaded and I had my first and I hope only AD.

The old man kicked my butt big time.

Amazing what you can do when your 12!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Jan 01 last day of deer season.  I was walking thru the woods.  I saw 3 geese flying over head.  I drew back my bow and shot.  The arrow went thru all three geese.  One flew into a tree and knocked off a branch that fell down and hit a 8-pt buck. Knocking him out.   as I went down to gut out the buck I fell into a river and when I came out I had a 12 lb walleye in my jacket.
It's all true. Honest
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I was shooting my sporter .223 savage, some off the shelf ammo (PMP, PMC, etc) Tasco scope, in a sniper match.
The guy beside me had a Remg Sendro, Federal match, Leapold Scope range book etc.
On the cold shot I out"X" him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Browning A-Bolt Ecqulipse .22-250. Leo Vari-XIII 6.5-20 Hornady V-Max 55grn, Varget, forget the no. of grains.  14mph cross wind, 820 yd prarie dog.  No bull.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#47]
skipped class back in college, took a girl I knew to an old outdoor range to shoot my old 1911 45ACP. She tried a few rounds and said
"how far can you shoot?" We walked back to 100yrd line and I held HIGH, 230grn., 1-hand standing. Hit within 1" of the X in a 4" bullseye. Told her I wouldn't shoot again that day. And I didn't. Why try ?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#48]
For kicks and giggles I placed a day glow green golf ball at 100 yards and shot it with a WWII 1944 Colt M1911A1 on the first shot.
I thought I hit the post it sat on but sure enough, it had a big chunk out of it. Everyone was stunned.

I still have it in my ammo box.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#49]
the side mirror on my pick up truck with a 22 .
was shooting out in the woods and shot at a critter and it was nice and clear in the scope but mirror was in the line of the fire . dumb but a great shot how many of you have shot your on pick-em-up!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I relived Elmer Keith's shot!
500 yards (Known distance range!) on a rifle silhouette range with a 10" bbl Ruger 44mag. I hit a ram silhouette OFF HAND STANDING with iron sights. We had just finished a match on the long range pistol event and we went over to see the long range rifle shooters. I had some ammo left so after some coaxing I gave it a try and on my last round I hit the ram and it went over! Witnessed by several rifle guys and my dad and another shooting buddy.[:D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top