Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 7:07:40 AM EDT

Click on the icon at the top right of the story...

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,310368-412,00.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
javascripts won't open up on my computer, for some reason (Windows 95, java-enabled, though). What does the GUNS IN AMERICA article say?

Oh, wait- CBS; guns...hmmm...this  could be REAL tough to figure out what they are going to say :^)
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
"javascripts won't open up on my computer"

You aren't missing anything at all.  It is about what you would expect.[:(!]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
That stupid thing says that the most dangerous states to live in are South Dakota and other mid-west and western states who have no child lock laws and no assault weapons ban.  What a load of $hi7.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It says something like "Gun fatalities pale in comparison to illness and disease" or something, so it WAS looking hopefull - until they spun it (like they do everything else) and mention how guns have affected CHILDREN (i.e. 20 and under).

The reason they did this, is when they scrounged the archives and found how much firearm fatalities are actually small compared with other high-risk factors, and how over the years many MANY situations have been settled with the proper use of defensive gunfire, they said "Hmmm, this shows how firearms and the 2nd Amendment have done society a big favor - we can't report garbage like that, let's just focus on the kids".

Yup, they did it "for the children".
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]
They are using gun deaths for theis statistics, not homicide.  Gun deaths includes homicide, suicide, accidental, and self defense shootings.

In other words the numbers are garbage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm...I noticed that there were very few accidental deaths caused by guns in there graph.  Does that mean that people realy are somewhat responsible, or at least know what the gun is going to do when the pull the trigger.  Guess it isn't the gun's fault after all.
 Oh wait about 23% of murders are done by 18 - 23(?) year olds.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the legal age of possesion.
 My favorite though is that firearm deaths for children is second only to a catagory ( I forget it's name at the moment) that includes things such as illness and drownings.  Since this catagory seems to be quite broad in how many ways the child could have died, I am wondering how large the gap was between firarms and this seeminly all inclusive catagory.
 My $.02
[thinking]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out this link.  I wasn't sure what you were looking for.  Please x-plain [:D]
[url]http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_rtcstates.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#8]
"arm yourself with the facts"  <<<-marty
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Shiit, those cache's are getting pretty pathetic.

In a search of Ferguson's home, police found a cache of weapons, including two shotguns, two assault rifles, two revolvers, a ballistic helmet, a flak jacket and a gas mask.
View Quote

[img]http://www.cbsnews.com/now/image/0,1615,167696,00.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top