Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 8:51:46 PM EDT
I just read through about a dozen old threads discussing the relative merits of both the G3 and the FAL type blaster rifles that are all over the place right now. Went to hk91.com and fnfal.com and perused their threads too. The best price on a CETME that I found was $398.99 with 2 mags, from Wholesale Guns 'N Ammo. Federal Arms also carries them, I think. On the other hand, they also have an L1A1 Sporter, Imbel, metric FAL for $427.98 + shipping, with one mag. AIM has the Stg58 for $495, also w/one mag. Mag prices are both $10ea. now. I know a lot about both rifles in general, how they operate, how the sights work, etc. but not specifically about the pitfalls of the ones I'm looking at. I don't want to throw any more money into the rifle I buy other than for mags, sling, and ammo. So which is it, guys? Would you buy the CETME, the FAL, both, or are they total junk? BTW, I like reasonably accurate rifles. I don't expect a tack-driver, but as a junior, I shot NRA highpower, so my tastes run towards the more accurate (and expensive) M1A which I can't justify the cost of right at the moment. I'm just looking for a .308 toy to shoot at ranges up to 200 yards. Which one has the best iron sights? I hate H&K G3 sights, but the CETME seems to have a different setup. Right now, I'm leaning towards the FAL. Who made the receiver on the CETME? Century?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:37:35 PM EDT
I like the STG/FAL better. Main reason is it is easier to assemble, no welding. I had a CETME that shot 5 to 6 inches left, only windage is front sight which is offset. Sold it and got an Interport. Imbel is a good reasonably price receiver but you can get DSA or Enterprise. Hesse is the least desirable in my opinion. Get your FAL barreled and headspaced by a smith and the rest of the assembly is fairly easy. Get the tape from Gunplumber which is good and explains the whole assembly. Regards - Popeye
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:37:56 PM EDT
I have a CETME and love shooting it. I don't know much about the technical end of it but mine is fun as hell to shoot (looks good too). I haven't taken time out to test the accuracy of it but it seems to be in the same class of my Yugo M-90. Hope this helps. Mark
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:47:21 PM EDT
Well I have been contemplating the same thing. I was thinking of the Cetme as well. I hope some people will respond:) Also look at the FAL Files at http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/ for some info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:21:23 PM EDT
Are there any good FAL kits left out there? I'll bet most of the complete rifles for sale were built on so-so kits. I don't really have the resources to build one myself right now, but I might go the kit route and just put it away for now. The prices are unbelievably low at the moment! These kits can't last forever, and the really good ones are probably already gone by now. Same goes for CETME. I wouldn't really attempt building one, though I'll bet my welding skills are at least as good as whoever is doing them! Still looking for input. I'll be over at the falfiles reading about DIY jobs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:44:07 PM EDT
Go Fal...think you'll be happier in the end
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:56:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:31:01 PM EDT
I'm definitely going FAL. I like gas guns. I hate the location of the cocking handle and mag release on G3s and CETMEs. CETME has no last round bolt hold-open either. Metric FALs do. I may build one myself. Well, have a gunsmith barrel it but finish & assemble the rest. I'm looking at the Imbel Grade I kits at [url]http://www.falparts.com/kits.asp[/url] I'm up to speed on the US parts counts and such. Any other recommended kits? How about the receivers? Probably Imbel from Enterprise. I'm intrigued by the aluminum ones. Gotta read up on Type I, II & III though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:43:50 AM EDT
C1A1, L1A1, but FAL does not rock my world. I reckon the 'Inch' version has got the 'metric' beat 10 to 1!
Top Top