Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 6:00:11 PM EDT
I need to shoot a match to qualify for the Garand. There is an NRA highpower match this weekend.  This will probably be a one time thing(I hope I wont get addicted, I can't afford it)  Will my M15 be up to the task, and is the muzzle break accepted?  Is there anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
M15A2:

A standard A2 is fine for initial highpower.  I hope you do get addicted, it is a great sport.  Depending on your range you'll need zeros for 100, 200, 300, 500 and 600 yds.  Standard full course is at 200, 300 and 600 (yes with iron sights).  If you don't have all of these, don't worry someone will get you on paper.

Check out [url]http://mountainwebs.com/lrgc[/url] and click on the highpower intro tab.

Post your questions over on the comp. forum and someone will answer.

BTW, CMP requires firing or a DD-214 to qualify for a rifle.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
From the way the webpage is worded I cant have the ArmaLite muzzle break on my rifle.  This would put a serious kink in my plans.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
just shoot it in the match rifle class and it is legal!  also most clubs will let new shooters shoot whatever they have just to get you introduced to the sport...pat
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk to the match director and see if anybody minds if you shoot a muzzle brake to qualify for a CMP Garand. Since you are new, they will probably let you shoot as a match rifle.

Muzzle brakes are illegal in highpower, on service rifles because only the A1/A2 (or no FH on post-bans) is legal because it is an "external modification" to a stock M16 (CMP rule), and in general (NRA rule) because they are too loud on the line, I suppose. We allow almost anything at our reduced matches so that folks like you can qualify for Garands, and hopefully be interested enough to participate further in our great sport. So ask the match director, and shoot! You will want to eventually go to a plain SS match barrel in 1-8" anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You will want to eventually go to a plain SS match barrel in 1-8" anyway.
View Quote

That is what I was thinking of doing if I enjoy myself, but first I want the Garand.  After watching Band of Brothers I want it more!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#6]
just shoot it in the match rifle class and it is legal!
View Quote

No, it isn't.  
That's probably irrelevant, however....Ramblin is correct in that you'll probably be cut some slack for being a newbie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top