Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 3:16:56 AM EDT
Hey, my Unit just got this ultrasonic weapons cleaning system (made in the USA) called The Ultimate Weapons Cleaning System.  The taxpayer paid $29,000 (Aus) for one. Plus the cleaning and lube agents at extra cost, all imported from the USA.

Its not very big, maybe enough for two ARs to fit in. We cannot submerse the AUG housing ( unless stripped of the optics) or the slide with the recoil springs in.

Any PD of Mil facilities using these? I know the RCMP Armoury in Regina, Canada uses it, as I was there last yr, and got a tour of their facility. Pretty sharp place. Those Mounties got some nice eqpt!

We ran some 9mm L9A1 BHP pistol bbls thru, and it would not take the carbon off em. Are we doing something wrong? We followed the directions and set the timers as required (10 mins, then 15 more mins).

We are now wondering if we have inherited a $29,000 white elephant.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
$29,000 (Aus) !!!!!!!!!!!!

My GOD!!!!!!  I guess government waste is everywhere.  What the heck is wrong with a brush and patches??  That would be about  $25/year per LEO, maybe a little more.  Besides, I don't know about AU but here in the US LEO's don't practice nearly as much as they should anyway!  And if I was a LEO I would clean my own damn pistol since it's my life on the line.

I would guess that it probably operates on Ultra-Sonic sound waves to remove dirt and oils.  I have used Ultra-Sonic before and it does a decent job as long as the dirt is really old or baked on.  How long was it before the last cleaning of the test guns, cause that would explain why it didn't get the carbon off.

Big waste of tax payer money if you ask me.

sgtar15

....Ya, I know I wasn't any help at all....sorry[;)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My department has one for handguns. Huge waste of money. It's only used during our annual qualification ( yes, the only mandatory shooting we do is once a year, excepting the SWAT team). Every officers pistol get a bath. It works well, at least on stainless steel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input Lads, but I'd love to hear more 'input/info' on this type of cleaning, and or who's useing it and who's got it.
Thanks
1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Keeping the thread alive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top