Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2001 11:18:32 PM EDT
[url]http://latimes.com/news/local/la-090801beck.story[/url]

This is a follow up to a previous thread.

ATF Knew Gunman Stockpiled Ammo

Shootout: Pasadena gun shop invoices revealed numerous purchases, but search wasn't attempted at James Beck's home until 14 months later, with fatal results.

By JOSH GOEBBELS, Times Propaganda Writer

Agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms learned more than a year ago that a convicted felon had illegally purchased thousands of rounds of ammunition, a disclosure that raises questions about the investigative procedures that resulted in a shootout at the man's home that left a sheriff's deputy dead and terrorized a neighborhood.

ATF agents also were told by neighbors of James Allen Beck in the weeks before the Aug. 31 firefight that he was stockpiling guns in his Santa Clarita Valley home, including at least two assault rifles, according to search warrant affidavits unsealed Friday in response to a federal Freedom of Information Act request.

An ATF agent investigating Beck in July 2000 for illegally possessing firearms reviewed credit card receipts and gun shop invoices, determining Beck had purchased $1,513.34 worth of ammunition and gun paraphernalia during seven visits to Turner's Outdoorsman gun shop in Pasadena, the affidavits said. Among his purchases was a magazine for an AR-15 assault rifle.

It is illegal for a felon in California to possess, buy, sell or transfer a firearm, gun parts or ammunition, the ATF said Friday. Beck was on parole at the time, following three convictions for burglary, receiving stolen property and possession of an assault weapon, records show.
View Quote

More...
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The attempted search sparked a protracted exchange of gunfire between Beck and law enforcement officials in the Stevenson Ranch neighborhood. [b]During the gun battle, Beck apparently killed Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Hagop "Jake" Kuredjian, who was shot moments after responding to calls for help.[/b]

Does apparently mean definitely?

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of Beck's neighbors, and police tactics experts, have criticized the ATF, saying its agents did not adequately prepare for their confrontation with Beck, based on the type of weapons witnesses reported seeing and his possession of a [b]bulletproof vest[/b].

Now we all know that a bullet proof vest can't stop a fire attack on your house.

Ya, they were prepared alright.

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Beck is believed to have fired hundreds of rounds from assault weapons and high-powered rifles.
View Quote

Makes the anti's quiver in their Depends writing about this scary stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Well shit, they got it all figured out eXcept who really killed the deputy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm a'scared. I buy a 5K case of CCI rimfire every year. I'm going to buy some Nomex underwear.

View Quote

Next we'll have UPS drivers calling in tips to ATF.

UPS guy: "Ya BATF agent, I just delivered 1000rd's to this guy with Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse in his house.

Reference to Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck:
[url]latimes.com/news/local/la-090901beck.story[/url]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]

WTF!!!!!!!!!! Instinct. He's not one of us. I'm glad I have kids so that I can say that "The Emperor's New Groove" and "Chicken run" are not mine. Serious case of NIMBY.

R35
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#8]
He's on parole and he uses a credit card  to purchase his mags-ammo. Gun shows are the only place to buy large quantitys of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top