Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2001 7:14:23 PM EDT
I do not mean to offend anyone and I am sure there are good parts but I am presently stuck in South Atlanta for training for 11 weeks and let me tell you, this place sucks big ass. There are 10 of us so we plan on circling the wagons and toughing it out but JEEZE! I had to pour bleach and Lysol all over this damned hotel room!

I won't even start with the traffic and the roads!

Sorry gents, had to vent!

I swear I love South Alabama... Land of milk and honey!  :)

So, anyone have any ideas for R&R in Atlanta? Any really good gun stores or other related attractions? The Georgia Mountain Gun Show is coming up soon. Is it a good one?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Georgia Mountain shows are good, but I believe that the Eastman shows are a little better.  Can't go wrong with either.

What part of south Atlanta?  The southside pretty much sucks.  

Recreation depends on what you want.  You can pretty much find anything there.  There are shooting ranges all over the Atlanta area, both inside and outside.  There are oval tracks and road courses in the Atlanta area, so whichever racing you prefer, you can find it.

Any type and quality restaurant you can find in metro Atlanta.  Night life is marvelous, again, anything you could imagine.

Yes, traffic sucks.   enough said on that subject.

What brand of hotel did your company put you in??  There are nice but relatively inexpensive hotels on the southside.  Try to find a Comfort Inn or any of the Clarion hotels, which include Comfort Inns.

Go to Buckhead or just about anywhere on the northside to have fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
There are shooting ranges all over the Atlanta area, both inside and outside.  
[/quote]
Hey man, My mom in law lives in Marietta and I'm frequntly there...any good ranges (indoor or outdoor) in that general area that A.) won't want to do a body cavity search to let a non-resident shoot and B.)Would allow an AR? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There's Riverbend range up near Dawsonville, which would be right up 575 from Marietta.  Don't know their number, but it is in Atlanta phone book.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
um, do yourself a favor and check into a hotel that is NORTH of I-20.  watch the local news and you'll see that South Atlanta is where there are constant homicides and other excitement.

go anywhere else and you'll be fine.

scott in ATL
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You're in the "hood" my friend!  There's a Bass Pro Shops up I85.  There's also an Eastman's gun show at the North Atlanta Trade Center tomorrow and Sunday.  [url]http://www.eastmangunshows.com/[/url]  That's a great show!  Whip out the phone book...there's several good indoor ranges to go to.  There's also several good gun shops in the area.

Bradd
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have relatives in Fayetteville, south of Atlanta, and I love it there. Trees everywhere!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, sorry for the lack of a prompt response! We moved to another hotel after one of the guys had to run a pimp off from his room at gunpoint, got offered coke about 2 times each and found out about a string of robberies in the area parkinglots... We all are now in a nice residence inn in a better area. Much nicer!

Anyway, we have been digging the hell out of the nightlife... Buckhead, downtown, went to the Hard Rock (and got free Blues Travelers tics at the Tabernacle which was freaking cool!!), and a quaint little place called the Cheeta!!!!!

Also caught the Eastman AND GA Mountain Shows. Thanks for the heads up! Great shows! Found some cool odds and ends I was looking for and picked up some ammo.

It was interesting being in Atlanta, a "target rich environment" during the recent troubles as opposed to my relatively target free home area...

Thanks again! Life is good, the school is hard as hell but I figured it would be...

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL! No offense taken.  Yeah, the southside is hardcore.  I am so lucky to work there still.

Worked as a night watchman at a glass plant across from the airport years ago.  Watched a crew hit the rental car place across the highway one morning.  They trashed the security fence with one car and drove 4 more out.  Gone before I could finish the call to the cops.

Ah, life south of I-20 and inside the perimeter.  Armed?  I hope so...

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of training are you attending?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]
What are you doing staying in SOUTH Atlanta?  South and West sides suck bigtime.  Central, East, and North are all great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Here for "Psychophysiological Detection of Deception" training... Polygraph, that is!  :)  The school is in South Atlanta so we are here as well. We did move away from the Old National Highway area so all is much better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out downtown and midtown before you go, so you'll remember the good stuff.

Also, if you get a chance, be sure to check out the inside of the Mariott Marquis hotel down here.  It's something that I show all my friends that visit from out of town.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I found a good nudie bar north-east of Atlanta (a few miles) next to TGI Friday's. I'm telling you, major hotties.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I found a good nudie bar north-east of Atlanta (a few miles) next to TGI Friday's. I'm telling you, major hotties.
View Quote

HAHAHA.  I don't think there's enough free space on this webserver to list all the "adult entertainment" available here.  Even just on Cheshire Bridge road.  It's why we get so many conventions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]
tattletales!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#20]
That's the one out of that Motley Crue song, right?  [}:D]

And of course everyone heard about the Gold Club. It's since been shut down, but..
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Where is Cheshire Bridge Road and how far is it from the airport?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It exits off I-85 North on the Northside of Atlanta.  It is on the other side of town from the airport, a good 15-20 miles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Go to the Cheeteh Club...
Other than that, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be the OOOO--Oasis! It's off Tilly Mill Rd. off of Peachtree Industrial...in world famous Doraville.

Great place! Not a dive, not a v.i.p lounge. Good place for the average clean cut American guy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be the OOOO--Oasis! It's off Tilly Mill Rd. off of Peachtree Industrial...in world famous Doraville.

Great place! Not a dive, not a v.i.p lounge. Good place for the average clean cut American guy.
View Quote

Holy sh*t, that's the place. I was digging through my old expense reports and found a credit card draft for TGI Fridays in Doraville. How far is that from the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Northlake? That's where I stayed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It exits off I-85 North on the Northside of Atlanta.  It is on the other side of town from the airport, a good 15-20 miles.
View Quote

That sounds near to where I stayed. Near Northlake?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top