Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2001 1:56:21 PM EDT
I live in Wisconsin where no carry permits are issued. At this point, the risk of me getting attacked is lower than the risk of me getting caught with a illegally concealed gun. I have had enough experience in martial arts and other self defense training to feel fairly confident, but I would like to feel a little more comfortable with my abilities to defend myself unarmed or with a knife. I'm a pretty big guy (5'9" 210lbs) with a very strong build (bench 220/ Squat 360). I'm in decent shape: I bike several miles a day, jog on the weekends, and do plenty of crunches and push ups at least 3 times a week. Additionally, I have maintained a very high level of flexibility. My question is: does any one know which fighting system or martial art I could study that would benefit me the most? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Ben
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Running...
It Been around for thousands and thousands of years!

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/dark2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll say this once again, but I've said it already a thousand times.  If you're an already accomplished martial artist, [b]Take Up Boxing[/b].  I too am a very well trained shoot fighter, but the one guy who has REALLY made a mockery of me in a fight has been a boxer, because they [i]TRAIN TO HURT[/i].  You can take the techniques and abilities you've learned in the martial arts, and combine them with the knowledge of how hard your blows land (and what you're pain threshold is) with a good boxing schedule.  Personally, I'm a bigger fan of competitive kickboxing, but I'll give the boxers their similar due - each unto their own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Jujitsu, goju ryu, kali
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Karate, Kung-Fu, Tae-Kwon-do, jujitsu, boxing...no matter what training you've done, you're no match for a 90 lb. nerd with a [b]gun![/b] I've had a concealed carry permit for the last 4 years, but I carried before it was ever legal. I'd rather pay a fine than be dead.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If I creep up behind you, or appear to be a "good guy" until I reach up and put you in a naked choke, your gun is no good - I've already disarmed you.

Guns work for ranges between 3ft - 1000 yards.  At all ranges <3ft, you need to train your body.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top