Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2001 12:27:18 PM EDT
I'm going to be visiting my aunt in Chicago for 3 or 4 days, and I don't want to be driven around by her looking at neat fountains and buildings all weekend. What are some cool things I can do while I'm there? I know NOTHING about Chicago.
I would like to freshwater fish, shoot, anything cool outdoors (hiking, etc.)
Any good gun or knife stores to visit?
I'm from California, so I'm very limited to what I can buy here (mags, certain knifes).....not that I would buy anything I'm not supposed to....or even condone that :)

HELP ME.....I DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED TO VISIT THE WORLDS LARGEST BALL OF TWINE!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
DEEP DISH PIZZA

you can thank me later.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are into the Museum scene, the Chicago Field Museum is pretty amazing.  The Lions of Tsavo are there (The Ghost & The Darkness lions).  They are not as amazing as when they were first stuffed as they have shrunk over the years, but they are very eerie to look at considering how they "loved" to kill for pleasure....hmmmm....reminds me of another species that is similar.

Good luck & don't CCW while in Chicago...its a big no no...reserved only for LEO & the Mob.

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
City of Chicago proper is very anti-gun. No gun shops that I've been able to find. If you make your way out to Woodfield Mall (Northwest burbs), head over to Galyans. One of the few sports stores that still carries cutlery and longarms.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The Art Institute has a small display of swords and armor and some early flint lock stuff. The museum to see is The Museum of Science and Industry.When you enter there are real planes hanging from the ceiling. As i recall a sopwith camel and a spitfire among others.There is a coal mine and a WW2 submarine,the U505.
The lakefront is a cool place to hang out. The Great Lakes host some of the best salmon and steelhead fishing outside of Washington. Casting silver or silver and blue spoons from the breakwaters this time of year can result in some decent coho salmon.
Most of the good sporting goods stores are in the suberbs. Visit Galyans at woodfield or on 22nd in Lombard both are close to the expressway.The best gun store in the area is GAT guns in Carpentersville on rt.25. This is just a small sample of stuff to do, I'm sure other opportunities will present themselves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You can visit Navy Pier, eat at an amazing number of restaurants, or even visit one of our fine museums. Field Museum is good, as is the Science and Industry, or even the Chicago Art museum. You also have all of the dance clubs. Club 720 on N. Wells St. has 4 levels of all types of music, and free salsa lessons! Fiance and I went with a group of friends, had a great time!

Lot's of jogging trails around Navy Pier, the waterfront is visible from most.

Chicago considers guns BAD. I don't think there are gun stores in the city proper. [>Q]

Also, I doubt many stores would know the laws in California in regards to hi-cap mags and such. Not that I'm suggesting anything of course... [;)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Gun World in Bensenville, IL - South and west of the city near O'hare has an indoor range where you can rent an AK or pistols.  15 bucks to shoot in doors for rifles, not sure on cost to rent guns, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Find "Jimmy Hoffa?"
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I was there this past February(Damn was it cold)  Check out Navy Pier, The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and The Sears Tower.  You can save a few $$$ if you buy the City Pass for the Field Museum, Sear's Tower, Shedd Aquarium and something else but I cannot remeber what it was. (May have been Science and Industry Museum)  But the view from the Sears Tower is spectacular!!!  Hope you have fun!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Navy pier is neat place to visit. If you've ever seen those 'antique roadshow' shows they sometimes film there.
Other places:
-Shedd Aquariam
-Museum of Science & Industry
- Water tower plaza - nice shopping mall.
-If it's a nice day,walk along the miracle mile - michigan ave. Lots of nice stores, including FAO schwartz - 3 stories of toys!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Girly Bars..........
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Architectural tour by canal boat.  Great way to see the city and the beautiful buildings.

On lakeshore:

Navy Pier just to goof off

Shed aquarium for neat aquatic animals

Planetarium for star gazing

Night scene:

Rush and Division streets for bars, just get a cab and say rush and division.  

For the local bars go to Holiday club, Silver Cloud, Nicks in Wicker Park area.  

Mid evil type dinner with jousting, swordfights and stuff in Schaumburg.  North on 290 from 90/94.

I've been all over Chicago looking for gun stores.  I go to Chicago twice a month for business trips.  Best Gun store I have found is J&R Shooting Sports in Naperville.  South on 355.  They have the guns you like and know what they are doing.

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to Google and start doing searches using keywords like Chicago, tourism, entertainment, sports, food, fishing, harbors, etc.
You should be able to get lots of info, including addresses and maps.

Montrose harbor is good for perch, Burns harbor running all the way to the end of McCormick Place for salmon and trout.
And of course there are charters.

Henry's is the place for any fishing info. Look in the yellow pages once you get there for addy.
Also the Thursday Chicago Tribune has the fishing report.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, for restaurants...

MAGGIANOS, CHEESECAKE FACTORY,

and for the big one...pizza...LOU MALNATIS.

Lou quite possibly makes the best pizza in the world.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Architectural tour by canal boat.  Great way to see the city and the beautiful buildings.

On lakeshore:

Navy Pier just to goof off

Shed aquarium for neat aquatic animals

Planetarium for star gazing

Night scene:

Rush and Division streets for bars, just get a cab and say rush and division.  

For the local bars go to Holiday club, Silver Cloud, Nicks in Wicker Park area.  

Mid evil type dinner with jousting, swordfights and stuff in Schaumburg.  North on 290 from 90/94.

I've been all over Chicago looking for gun stores.  I go to Chicago twice a month for business trips.  Best Gun store I have found is J&R Shooting Sports in Naperville.  South on 355.  They have the guns you like and know what they are doing.

View Quote

Yes, J&R is a good store, if small. Was in there last week. They're on Maple AVE. or Chicago AVE. depending on what burb you're in.
Actually J&R is in Lisle.
Mega-Sports in Plainfield and GatGuns in Dundee are two that have indoor ranges and rent guns, along with very large selections.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#17]
What part of Chicago?

If you don't know the city (especially if you're going to be driving around) buy a
"Chicago street map" before you do anything else. Then get a Chicago cop to draw in the "shaded areas". It's a good idea to stay out of them.

I can't believe the Museum of Science & Industry was only mentioned once.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Silverstrand,

I am currently a captive in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Daley.  If you wish to communicate by a "Tap" code, feel free to use my e-mail.

Seriously, if you want to try to get together to shoot, let me know.  I live near enough to some decent restaurants to point them out.

Yes, the Museum of Science and Industry is great.  The Pizza is great.  The steaks are great.  If you are on a tight budget, I can point out some cheaper restaurants, if you are on an "expense account" (a la--the Aunt pays), I can point you towards Morton's, Gibson's, Lawrey's Prime Rib, etc.  If you are a sports fan, I can point you towards a do it yourself bonanza (ESPN Zone) and the original Pizzaria UNO is across the street.  If you are on the young side, Disney Quest is near there also.

I don't know about the out of state ID requirements at Gun World, but C-rock knows them better than I would, and I wouldn't mind shooting there.

There is also Bass Pro Shops out in Gurnee, which is a nice place to walk around in (their restaurant is quite good, also).

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top