BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Of course there's always MRE's.  Just have to get the bag open.  Now where is my knife....
View Quote

I used to like MREs, but I took a quick look at the label, that thing is loaded with sodium.  So now I'm eating that stuff only in emergency/camping conditions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I used to like MREs, but I took a quick look at the label, that thing is loaded with sodium.  So now I'm eating that stuff only in emergency/camping conditions.
View Quote

You eat MRE when camping? [:O]  Cooking and eating good food while outdoors is THE reason my wife and I go camping.  You should try home made (or should I say campground made) blue berry pancakes with eggs and bacon for breakfast while watching the sun come up over the wood line (sorry but no mountains here in FL [:(]).  Nothing better and more delicious to start your day.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I can, that's what I majored in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I make a mean Turkey Spam Quiche. Don't ask.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If its edible I can cook it.
I've been cooking since age 12 when I was in the scouts.
Had to feed 26 members of my troop for 12 days back then but that's another story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I can read and follow directions therefore I can cook.

I'll take some heat for this one but come on guys cook books are written so even women can follow the directions.  It isn't rocket science.

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Once, when I was making Mac and Cheese, i saw that we were out of half and half, so i grabbed a couple of those little cream packets (like you get in a resteraunt for your coffee) and used them instead...well turned out they were amaretto flavored.

WORST mac and cheese i ever ate.

Spray
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yobo, that sounds easy. Thanx.

Maybe we need a recipe forum. Not to stereotype you guys but... I never would of thought this many of you cook. [:D] Must be the self-reliant mind-set.

One time while hiking in February with my future wife we stopped to make hot choc on our Svea. I dumped in the powder and not till we were about to drink it did we realize that tomato soup powder also got mixed in there. It didn't taste very well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes I can cook, going to make some buffalo steaks tonight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Learned to cook when I was a kid. Spent four years in Louisiana as a poor college student. In our house, anything that had been caught, killed, or otherwise aquired was supper. Folks down there know how to have a good time.

[<]:)]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I love to cook!  It's as much fun as eating.

Today I'm going to fire up my Weber and grill some big ribeye steaks with some spareribs as s side dish.

(We do that here in the OCR too, it's not just a Texas thing.)

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You eat MRE when camping? [:O]  Cooking and eating good food while outdoors is THE reason my wife and I go camping.  
View Quote

The guys I play paintball with go camping/playing at least once a summer. The first year we did this I whipped up some spaghetti and garlic bread. While the rest were chewing incerated steak, hot dogs and MRE's I'm setting there enjoying a fine meal. They were amazed. Now they call me "Cookie." [:D]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Started cooking in the boy scouts. With a little trial and error can master anything. I'm still half-asleep, but I remember a quote by someone that goes something to the effect that specialization is for the birds--humans should be able to do everything.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --George Bernard Shaw
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love to cook!  It's as much fun as eating.

Today I'm going to fire up my Weber and grill some big ribeye steaks with some spareribs as s side dish.

(We do that here in the OCR too, it's not just a Texas thing.)

[heavy]
View Quote

....and WHAT TIME did you say we should be there?  [;)]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I can cook, but only when I'm being paid to do it and there is a real live dishwasher around to handle the mess ( oh yeah and when the wife starts bitchin' that "you never cook for me" )
[bounce]
LilRhody
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was out in camps I used a few dutch ovens. Enjoyed that but it's a lot of work.
Cooked over a lot of camp fires but other than that if it's edible and will make a turd, it's cookin'.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.....if it's edible and will make a turd, it's cookin'.
View Quote

Interesting outlook, but not very appetizing!  [:|]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Started cooking in the boy scouts. With a little trial and error can master anything. I'm still half-asleep, but I remember a quote by someone that goes something to the effect that specialization is for the birds--humans should be able to do everything.
View Quote

That would be this one:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, [blue]cook a tasty meal[/blue], fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
View Quote
Robert Anson Heinlein, [u][i]The Notebooks of Lazarus Long[/i][/u]

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I cook a mean sheppards pie at the fire station now and then, and in my opinion, I sear up the perfect steak. Other than that,...as long as I have a cook book, or a box with microwave directions.....Im a regular freakin Emeril.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]
My aunt says that my cousin and I had to learn to cook in self defense. I didn't really learn until I lived with a mexican family and then started working in restaurants. My childhood is full of horrible meals. At Gramma's house there is no dinner bell, just a smoke alarm. I thought all garlic bread had to have the black stuff scraped off of it. I was unaware that rare to medium meat was edible(and delicious!). Thankfully, I overcame the culinary hurdles of my youth and can cook just about anything, some things damn good. TEOTWAWKI...as long as there's garlic in this world( like the fields across from my home)I will survive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually, I cook much better than my ex-wife. I do a lot of steaks, a lot of pasta dishes, and some stir-fry.  I must admit that lately I have started taking advantage of shortcuts.  For example, for stir-fry dishes, I have taken to using boil-in-bag rice, and frozen stir-fry veggies.  That gives me a little more time to say, thin-slice and marinate the meat.  My stuff always goes over big at the office potlucks. And I too am a follower of the Justin Wilson school of measuring, especially with wine or hot sauce.  Anyone who used to watch his show will know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually like to cook.  It seems so easy to me to just go in kitchen and cook.  I used to watch my mom and help her in the kitchen and I can even make cakes, cookies, pudding, icing, candy, gravy, rolls, etc. The hardest things to cook are those that involve a lot of coordination of cooking times.  If you are planning a meal and making everything from scratch you have to know when to start each item to have them all ready at the same time.

Charcoal grilling and smoking are one of the easiest ways to get good food if you are kitchen challenged.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I hate laundry. My wife hates cooking. I cook. She does laundry. We end up with good food and clean clothes. Works for us. The little woman is also "natural" shooter and has NEVER once said that I spend too much on guns. I am blessed.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I can fry up a hell of a CAT !!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I Cook,I Eat!!!BTW-my GF is a pastry chef in a French restaraunt,if she wasn't a vegitarian,I'd be working on 300 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#26]
More than a fair cook, did 99% of the cooking for over 20 years as the ex did not have the knack. She was from La. and I spent a lot of time in N.O. and picked up a taste for N.O., Louisiana and cajun cooking (they are all different.) and have branched out into many other ethnic cuisines. I found that I really enjoyed it.
Lucky me, my new lady likes to cook and she has a taste for many of my preferred styles. She has family to consider and they are not yet ready to branch out so we don't get to totally indulge. But with two of us doing the cooking we really can crank out some dishes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#27]
You know, I was proud to post on this topic that I could cook.  But now that it's been a few days and I see HOW MANY of us have posted "yes" and started sharing recipes and getting all excited...I have become SCARED TO DEATH!

THE FEMINIZATION OF AMERICA IS WORKING!!!

AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Run away, run away!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh, yeah, I can cook. My mom taught me, plus I worked one summer off from college in a restaurant in New Orleans, and as a starving "professional" engineering student, my desire to eat well motivated me to learn to make all the things I liked. I absolutely blow my friends away when I cook for them on a holiday or special occasion.

PS that was my most productive technique for scoring on a casual date: clean the place, get rid of the roommates, rent a couple flicks, and make a knockout meal for a date. A lot of them hung around for breakfast! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I can cook.  I've done so much of it, my wife woke me up one evening (napping before I worked a night shift) and asked what happens if she forgot to put the eggs in the cake mix.

I prefer to bake, but can make just about anything.  

One of the easiest:

Cut up chicken breasts (boneless/skinless) into about 1" cubes.  Sprinkle a little flour lightly over them (not a complete coating, just a tablespoon or two).  

Heat a skillet hot, put in some olive oil (about 1/4 cup) 2 tbsp of butter, some minced garlic, and sautee for a few seconds until the garlic turns brown.  Throw the chicken in and brown on the outside (it's OK if the inside is raw).  Stir constantly.  

Remove the Chicken from the pan--leave the "pan drippings"--the brown crust from the cooking process, as it adds a LOT of flavor.  Add a 50/50 mix of White Wine and Chicken Stock to the pan (more if you like you pasta runny, less if you don't) reduce at least 50 percent of the volume, stirring to get the pan drippings dissolved.  Throw in some fresh ground pepper and any other seasoning (more salt, garlic, even sugar if you like it a little sweet).  Put the chicken back in and simmer lightly until the chicken is done cooking.

Now, cook come pasta (bow tie pasta works fine), and the last couple of minutes throw in some frozen vegatables (I usually use peas, but have used carrots, etc).  Fresh vegi's are fine.  Drain, pour the chicken and sauce over the pasta and vegitables, and stir well.

To lighten up the recipe, just reduce the amount of oil and butter at the start.  You can even use Shrimp instead of the chicken.

AFARR

I will add, this (along with every other GOOD recipe you will ever see) is a "feel, taste, smell" kind of thing--once you know what you are doing when you are cooking, you know when it needs a little more garlic, oil, pepper, etc. to be just right.

Link Posted: 9/9/2001 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#31]
*points to screen name*

I am a pro chef with about 7 years now..I am trained in french and Italian cooking and baking, but I spent a few years in a nice California Cusine place, so I cook in that style now.
I also have some asian influences:Japanese, Thai, and Indian.

Cooking is quite a bit of fun for me. I guess that's why I do it for a living.
I can also bake pretty good too. I make a pretty darn good cheesecake, and I excel at making bread for some reason or another.

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
My Mom is a Cordon Bleu graduate and it rubbed off on me.

My wife prefers cleaning over cooking.  I prefer cooking over cleaning.  I think I got the better part of the bargain...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top