Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2001 6:49:45 PM EDT
The IRS is trying to SCREW ME!!!!  I sent in my payment for 2000 personal income taxes and had them sign saying they got it. So I know for a fact they got my check.  So a few months go by and I notice the money is still in my account. I just thought they were being slow and had not gotten around to taking it out.

I then receive a letter from the IRS saying I have not paid my taxes and that they are adding $283.00 for interest and $184.00 for late payment!  WTF

So I call them up and finally get through to a real person. They tell me that my check did not clear and that I owe them money. I told them about the money always being their and it is still waiting for them. So the lady tells me to send in a letter explaining the situation because she cannot do anything more over the phone.

I had the bank check my account and write a letter to the IRS stating that check had not been presented for payment and that the money had been in the account since before Feb and the balance had always been more than the amount of that check. So I wrote them a letter and sent the banks letter along also.

About a month later a get another letter from the IRS saying I owe more in interest and that they were taking my 600$ rebate and applying it towards my account!!!!

So again I call and they tell me it has been assigned to a case worker and I should hear from them soon. Well its now Sept. and I have not been contacted so I decide to call.

They then tell me that it has been turned over to the collection division, and that I need to talk to them to to get it looked into and stop them from putting a lean on my account. So she says she is going to transfer me to the collection  dept so I could get it taken care of...
Well guess what, the message says they are closed and to call back during normal business hours!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

This is crazy,

Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Beer, That did cross my mind.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Welp, I can help.  Theres a kid who is literally stalking my girlfriend, and I recently found out his dad works for the IRS.  I coincidentally went out that same day and bought a carton or two of eggs.  Got em in the fridge.  Talk about two birds with one stone.

I may dust off the old brass eagle as well.

Hopefully their bmw and mustang GT will be in the driveway...

Basically, I am kidding, but if you really want me to...lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hire a good tax attorney or CPA who has experience dealing with the IRS.

Sounds like it may cost you money either way.  It may be worth it to just pay up & not worry about an extra few hundred dollars...but it really depends how far you want to push it.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a story in the news last week about how the IRS lost $800,000,000 (yes, that's the correct number of zeros) in checks at one processing center--seems some malicious employees were shredding them and flushing them down the toilets, etc.  I can't remember the whole thing, but check out the NewsMax or World Net Daily archives.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have the documentation, sue them. And if you do, make sure that you also sue for reimbursement of legal costs and time. That should get you more than your $600 back. But as I'm not a lawyer, ask one of the lawyers on the forum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Boy do I know the that feeling.

My nightmare started in 1991. I had a Criminal Investigator from the IRS show up at my door. He said he was investigating my tax preparer. The tax preparer was recommended by a few "friends", he was a tax attorney, tax preparer. Turns out he was disbared as an attorney years ago for fraudulent tax returns. I used him for three years, not getting anymore money back then previous years.

Trying to make a long story short.....I ended up being audited for three years past and oweing a little over $15000.00, most of that was penalties AND interest!!

So I hire a real tax attorney from Park ave in Manhattan. One visit with this attorney and he said forget it, just pay them!!

He told me of a person he represented the previous year regarding oweing the IRS money. The guy he represented owed $32,000 after auditing his construction business. Did I mention he was an ILLEGAL alien from Grenada!!! Anywho, he closes up his business and gets a job as a dishwasher making minimum wage, he had no house, no assets, with only $1200.00 in a bank account. He told the attorney he was sending all his business money to his brother in Grenada all these years. So his attorney goes to court with the IRS and tells the court that his client is out of business, has no assets, no property and only has $1200.00 in his bank account. So the IRS settles for the $1200.00 in his banks account, figuring they would never get 32000.00 from him because he was making minimium wage and that he would probably leave the country!

My attorney told me nine times out of ten the IRS would waive the penalties and interest if payed within six months but he told me that I was fucked because I'am an American(probably not going anywhere), I had steady income and worked for the City, with steady income with good pay. So, if it came down to it, they would take most of my paycheck every payday until it was paid. In the end he did attempt to negotiate with IRS on my behalf but there final answer was I had to pay everything.

[B][BLUE]MOTHERF*CKERS!!![/BLUE][/B]  
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Palmer, that does suck

I just want them to cash the check they have and give me my 600$ back.

And that 600 that they are "giving back" is like a slap in the face compared to what they take from me every year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I may dust off the old brass eagle as well.
View Quote

That's classic, I've got an old Brass Eagle "Nightmare" model under my bed.  Too much sentimental value to sell it.  Many a battle and friend shot with that thing!
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
rules of life:

you can't escape death or taxes. [-!-!-] the IRS
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Stinger, which IRS service center did you send your return to?  The one people mention is in PA.

Years back, the Problem Resolution Office was an office that was like your last resort if you had already tried and failed to resolve your problem through regular channels.

I just looked at the (lousy) IRS web site and found this:
[url]http://www.irs.gov/ind_info/advocate.html[/url]  Maybe it took the place of PRO.

However, keep in mind that like other areas of the law, while you have many rights, there are also time limits.  While IRS has their administrative appeals procedures, there are also time limits.  So be mindful of the importance of time and professional advice..  IRS has publications on this.  If you are near an IRS office, I'd also go there and ask for copies on things like appeals, asessments, deficiencies, taxpayer advocate, tax court (there may be a small claims tax court), etc.

The web site lets you download stuff, but that presumes that you were able to identify the form or publication number from their lousy search engine, plus you need to be able to deal with PDF or compressed files, etc.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.[/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
That's the government for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top