Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2001 7:46:18 AM EDT
Does anyone here hide their firearms rather than keep them in a safe?  My safe is full and I am thinking about hiding some of my guns.  Any ideas how or where to hide them?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You could hide some of them in my safe.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You're in TX. I'm in TX. Just bring them over. I'll keep'em for you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in SA TX, bring to my house. I have a big safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a second safe.  Or buy a cheap one and keep the lesser value guns in that safe.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always wanted to figure out how to build a storage area in the shower to hold a pistol.  Something not readily visiable, waterproof.  Kinda like a hidden compartment.  Worse place in the world to get caught needing a gun and not having one is the shower.

We usually have one hidden in master bedroom and one in the "safe" room.  A place to go in an emergency when you can't get out and must hole up till the good guys arrive.

Ideally, one hidden in every room but a place inaccessiable to kids, if any around.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Make a bracket or hook.  Mount it behind the headboard so it is between the headboard and the wall.  Hang the gun on the bracket. (Be sure that you have a gun lock on them.  Mount a strap (bungee cord, Velcro, etc) to keep them from moving.  You could even make something so you could lock them to the headboard as well.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Sewer pipe works well - make sure you seal the ends well, thoroughly coat all metal with cosmoline and provide multiple vapor barriers.  It's sometimes difficult to find the bigger sizes of sewer pipe.

Once guns are in that type of container they can be stored just about anywhere. The container backed by multiple air seals and grease/cosmoline should provide safe storage for decades.

Leave 'em with friends, stash 'em in hollow structures, do the pick and shovel thing, build 'em into walls, make 'em seem like parts of a machine, put 'em in self serve storage, etc.  Just don't store them at home if you're interested in truly safe storage - gun grabbers have access to modern search methods these days.

Modern methods make it possible to locate guns buried underground.  Decoy 'guns' consisting of old buried rebar etc that appear to be 'guns' at first glance but which appear to be old construction stuff, scrap etc once dug up can slow things down a bit and demoralize searchers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Clean and prep your gun carefully, then use one of those vacuum Seal-A-Meal gizmos - your pistol will be protected from moisture and contamination no matter were you store it.  After that you could hang it on your shower head, throw it under the sink, or even drop it in the toilet tank for safe keeping.

Years ago I picked up a bunch of Lake City 5.56mm on stripper clips.  So I set aside several hundred rounds, assembled them into bandoleers, and vacuum sealed them into plastic pouches.  This stuff will keep for decades in the back of my closet, ready for the day that I really need it.

Most of them use "bags" that come on a roll, so you can make them as long as you want to.  I've often thought of vacuum-sealing a complete AR.  Maybe I'll build one on a Tannery Shop lower, vacuum seal it, and bury it in the backyard with a few bricks of the Lake City ammo because, well, you just never know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya like the guy a few posts ago said.
Put them into 4 inch or bigger PVC/ABS pipes, and burry them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
While living in an apartment, my options were limited. I would hide my handguns and rifles in the air-conditioning / heater vent when ever I would be gone for more than a few days. Of coarse I always travel with two handguns and one rifle. Unless I'm flying.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
My problem is I live in an apartment.  I thought about hiding my AR behing a rack of clothes in the closet on the wall.  What do yall think?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought about hiding my AR behing a rack of clothes in the closet on the wall.  What do yall think?
View Quote

If I broke into a house that would be the first place I would look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top