Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 5:05:43 PM EDT
I just found out that one of my co-workers was killed on Monday by a drunk driver. I just talked to her on friday before Labor Day weekend. She was only 27 years old.

You drinkers out there, don't drink and drive. And if you do drink, get a ride home.

Peace,
John
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had two close friends killed by drunk drivers. Drinking and driving SUCKS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My condolences to you and your friend's family.
Monday night I tore my MCL arresting a drunk driver. He was fine till we tried to get him in the patrol car. He called the next day asking for his DL because he couldn't find it. He was so drunk he didn't remember that we took it because he refused the breath test.
I'll second the thought...If you're gonna drink don't drive!
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I realize I am not going to any friends saying this but:

In a free society you should be able to do anything you want AS LONG AS YOU DON’T HURT OTHERS.
This includes drinking and driving or drinking while driving (if you hurt or kill someone you should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon or murder)..
Supposedly drunk drivers are responsible for most car accidents.
I drive two hours a day and I have to drive thru three to four accidents every week and I doubt anyone that causes these accidents is drunk.

I don’t see anything wrong with having a couple beers on the way home because I don’t drive erratically or talk on the damn cell phone.  In fact I drive slower when I have a beer in my hand.  

I am more relaxed and I feel I can see problems like the:
The man shaving, The guy reading, The dude changing cd’s, The woman trying to hit kids the backseat of the minivan, The girl yakking on the cell phone, the idiot digging under his seat for heaven only knows what, The dump truck dribbeling gravel, the cop in the squad car talking on the radio and typing on his computer

and finally The Honda that thinks it’s a Ferrari.

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

no flames meant but...

In a free society you should be able to do anything you want AS LONG AS YOU DON’T HURT OTHERS.
View Quote

sorry, we still need rules in a free society. If it's so free then why hold a person accountable for anything?

This includes drinking and driving or drinking while driving (if you hurt or kill someone you should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon or murder)..
Supposedly drunk drivers are responsible for most car accidents.
View Quote

I've never heard that one in 17 years of running EMS.

I drive two hours a day and I have to drive thru three to four accidents every week and I doubt anyone that causes these accidents is drunk.
View Quote

Don't presume that unless you're actually there. The many accidents I ran on, about 40% involved alcohol or to a lesser extent drugs.

I don’t see anything wrong with having a couple beers on the way home because I don’t drive erratically or talk on the damn cell phone.  In fact I drive slower when I have a beer in my hand.
View Quote

That's a good point, you are a slower driving and thinking person because your sensibilities are impaired. It's a fact.

I am more relaxed and I feel I can see problems like the:
The man shaving, The guy reading, The dude changing cd’s, The woman trying to hit kids the backseat of the minivan, The girl yakking on the cell phone, the idiot digging under his seat for heaven only knows what, The dump truck dribbeling gravel, the cop in the squad car talking on the radio and typing on his computer

and finally The Honda that thinks it’s a Ferrari.
View Quote

You stated the problem with drinking and driving right there, you are more relaxed. That means it will take you longer to react to a given situation.

Not meant to flame you, just needed to respond to your thoughts, there is another side.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Grundsau

I fully understand that my reactions are impaired when I drink also at night, in fog or in rain.
I drive (at a) slower (speed) when I have a couple beers to compensate for my reduced reaction time.

It’s nice that some people can discuss a very controversial subject without resorting to personal attack.

John91498 I am sorry to hear about your coworker, I think they should give him six months in the electric chair.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

John91498 I am sorry to hear about your coworker, I think they should give him six months in the electric chair.
View Quote

[b]WELL SAID![/b]

[b]You MUST Have It![/b]
[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/cockperf3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
308wood, likewise about the discussion.
You know, I always tried to treat all patients equally.
But, whenever I would just get to sleep at 2am after the entire shift was one call after another, we'd get tapped out for an MVA caused by a drunk.
That person would definitely not be my most favorite person of the morning.
One, for getting me up because he/she had to do something stupid and two, because it probably involved an innocent.

I just have issues, [:D]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Yep, you should be able to drive drunk. Provided you are on your private property. If you crash you only hurt yourself or others dumb enough to be there.

However, once you go onto a public roadway, you become come under the jurisdiction of public laws. Laws, that for the most part, exist to do things collectively that the majority of us would do as individuals. If there were no police, and I saw you driving drunk on a public road, I and maybe a few others would join together and get you off the road. We would want to ensure the safety of the roadways for ourselves and our families. We wouldn't wait until you hit one of us to take action.

Instead, we get together beforehand and make up rules the are meant to mutually preserve our life, liberty, and property. Part of that consists of saying that we don't want any dumbasses driving around a ton of metal and glass while they're under the influence of something that disrupts their perception and reactions.

Or maybe I should be in favor of the freedom to shoot my gun randomly in a crowded area. As long as the bullets miss, I'm not harming anybody, am I? Why should anybody stop me beforehand????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top