Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 12:37:03 PM EDT
[url]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45668-2001Sep5.html[/url]

They should pay me and put me on this task force.

STEP 1 - STAY OUT OF THE OCEAN!
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
this whole shark thing is blown out of proportion.

With 2/3 of this year gone, we have only had slightly more than 1/2 of the total shark attacks worldwide that we had last year.

Just like "gun violence" this shark thing is NOTHING more than the NEED to have a sensational story to lead off your news broadcast each evening. COMPLETELY blown out of proportion.

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I wreck dive every year off Hatteras.  Over the last two years we have seen increased numbers of sharks on the wrecks, however, most of them are not pelagic; the majority of them are sand tigers.  I have seen a number of pelagic sharks on the surface as well, however, and their numbers have increased as well, at least in my limited experience.

I don't know that this means anything.  My feeling over the last two years has been that an increase in fishing over the last 20 years and a decrease in fish therefrom, coupled with a decrease in the shark harvest (no more long lining) is the reason.  Who knows.

I will coninue surfing and diving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top