Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 8:15:40 AM EDT
I just bought my 9 yrs old a Rem 20ga youth model for $200 new, of course my wife thru a big ass fit. She thinks he's to young, but he go's to the range with me and he shots my AK, FAL, AR15, muzzle loaders, shotguns, he shots them all and the kid is good. I can lay old shot gun shells on their side's with the brass facing us and at 25yrds pick them off one after thy other. The problem has been the length of the stocks, that's why I got the youth model. Like I say my wife hates the guns and thinks that their   way to important to my and that there's something wrong with me. What do you guys or girls out there think, should I give him the shotgun this Oct, for his birthday or hide it for another year
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Gar, I think it all depends in what context you present it to him. I to grew up around guns and was given a Model 37 20 ga. when I was 12 with the understanding I could only handle or use this gun with adult permission and supervision.
Out of respect and gratitude I obeyed those conditions. I still have this gun and would not part with it for any reason and will pass it to my oldest son when that day comes. I think you should step back and take an objective look at your son and make an honest opinion of his maturity at this young age, that is the key. My brother called me earlier in the year and wanted me to teach his oldest son how to shoot and about guns. I told him NO that he was not ready and he's 13. I hope all this helps you in some way. My daughter can out shoot her husband and he is a cop, he's pretty good but she's better. Always pound safety into those young minds and they will never forget it. Safe and Happy Shooting, Full-Clip
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]
My son is seven, and i have him shooting a .22 rifle and pistol. Anything else scares him. My wife was against it at first, but when he can home all happy about his shooting she didnt seem to mind.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Having grown up with firearms I was certainly no stranger to every aspect of proper shooting technique or weapons handling.

My father, being a very serious military type, decided that the age of 12 was the point at which I would receive my first shotgun.  He started teaching me to shoot the 12 ga at about age 8 or 9 although I'd been shooting the old Nylon 66 since age 6.

As far as the 12 ga, I was told that if I could not handle the 12 then to forget anything lighter.  I shot the 12 ga from day one and loved it.

The age you determine is based solely on the ability your child has and his/her performance from overall handling abilities and safety issues.

Good luck with your kid and happy shooting!
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Gar,

Only you can adequately decide when your child is responsible enough to handle "owning" his first firearm, even though it would probably spend most of the time locked up.  From the  description of your sons experience and attention to safety he could handle it now.  Because I can relate with you on the spouse issue, (more than I wish I did), one more year waiting wouldn't kill him if it helped keep the peace.

On a side note I must say the way you appear to be raising your son around firearms, safely and proficiently, you ought to consider yourself a model "Dad"!  Good luck with the outcome of your decision one way or the other, may everyone be happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I fired a 12 Gauge at 9 and it nearly bowled me over, but I was fine at 11. Then again it was a matter of learning to handle it. I got to shoot, but never own anything until I was 18.

12 Gauge Shotgun: 11 or older
20 Gauge Shotgun:  9 or older
CAR-15 (.223):     9 or older
Handgun (>=9mm):   9 or older

Then again that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
My father started me shooting a .22 lever-action rifle around 5-6 years of age.  He always told me that the rifle was mine, but that I could only handle it and shoot it in his presence.

It never bothered me that I didn't physically have it in my room...it just stayed with the other guns.  I got a 30-30 around 12-13 years old.

When I came back from college, I just packed them up...no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My father gave me my first gun for my 11th Christmas.  It was a beautiful Franchi 20ga. Semi-auto with engraved pictures of wildlife on the receiver.  I cherish that gun and the times I spent with my dad because of that gun so much.
My father thought I was ready at 11.  If you think your son is ready now then go ahead and give it to him.  I'm sure it will be very special to him.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]

I started hunting at 8 without a gun. I would follow my dad all day and at the end of the day I would be rewarded with two shots from his 20 ga.

My uncle gave me a double barrel .410 at 10. I was allowed to carry it. I still have it.

I got a Ted Williams (Sears house brand) 12 ga 3 shot semi at 12(1973). I still have it. And it will still put a bird on his butt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Youngest son is 11 he already has
mossy 20 gauge,10/22 and he can shoot the hell out of a ar-carbine.
Oldest son got shotgun at 12 and 10/22 at 14
he decided to join the army (so he could shoot stuff & blow shit up )
 you know you have raised them right when a family member ask " what do you want for your birthday" and they reply cheaper than dirt has
south african battle packs on sale and the order
# is amm-240  and when you check....he's right
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
gar,
Go to [url]www.subguns.com[/url]
Click the Laws link. Click the NRA Link to State Laws link.
Find your state and select it.
Read up.
In most states, your son can carry and shoot the gun with your permission while supervised and participating in hiking, hunting, target shooting, etc. Generally, if he's on your land and it is legal to shoot there, he need not be directly supervised. To actually "own" it he probably must be 18 YO.
Regards,
C6

Edit- DUH...to answer your question. I would give it to him. My son's turning 9 in 14 days. He's getting a 20GA single shot and a Ruger 10/22 (They'll stay in Dad'd safe though!)
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my first 20ga at the age of 9 too.  Must be some kind of Michigan law or something.

As long as you teach him to respect his new firearm and train him in the art of shooting responsibly, then I see no problem.

The sooner we can teach our childeren that rifles/shotguns/handguns are not the "all encompasing evil" that the media protrays them to be, the better.

Michigander in Maryland
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
When I came home from boot camp in 1981, my mother had sold the followng because she saw the very first anti show on 60 minutes about gun killings in the home...

1 Double barrelled Italian shotgun that my grandfather (Her own father) gave me.

1 Remington 1100 shotgun engraved I got from my dad on my 16 birthday.

my buck knife.

I was in shock.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
My 10-year-old son started hunting dove this year with a break action Savage 20 guage.  He went through hunter safety course and knows how to safely handle a firearm.  If your son knows what he is doing he'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a son thats nine years old and a daughter thats 4 years old. I started them both out shooting a 22 rifle at age 2. Of course I would hold the gun and all they did was pull the trigger. I have preached gun safety to them to this day. I keep all of my guns locked up. I got flamed several months ago about starting them out so young but thats a matter of opinion. When my son gets ready to shoot I open the safe and hand him his .410 or 10/22 or SKS and he aims it toward the ceiling and checks it to make sure its unloaded under my supervision that is. I also grew up around guns and my dad was tough when it comes to gun safety. My son owns a .410, 10/22 ruger and a SKS right now. He wants a pump shotgun for Christmas. The way I see it when you give him a gun of any type its his but you the parent keep it out of harms way ie... in the gun safe or trigger lock. My wife hated guns for a long time but I ask her one time what if I was gone and someone broke into the house to harm you or our children wouldn't you want to protect the kids and she said yes. Well since then I have been teaching her about how to shoot guns. She is now converted.

Moose
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I just wanted to thank everyone for their replys.I to was raised around guns all my life. All were military,German,Jap,exc.. I was taught to respect guns and just how dangerous and fun they can be. My son has been taught from the time that I could communicate with him gun safety . So many people try to get down on me about the guns that I started to think I was the last @#%&$! out there. The thing is that I could not trust their kid in my house not to mess with a gun. But belive me my kid would never touch one of their guns unless he were given permission to. Safety has always been top priority. I think Shawn's going to get his shot gun this B-Day.Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know about shotguns, but my son was 1 year old when I bought him his first gun: Remington M-7 in 7mm-08.  I've been "breaking it in" for him these last 6 years and in another 3-4 years, I'll have to really give it to him to use hunting deer here in N. AL.

Of course, once he found out how to shoot my Ruger 10-22 a couple of years ago, that became "his" gun too.  He brags to all his friends that he owns two guns and none of his friends believe him until they see my gun room.

Good luck!

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't it funny how they all say the same thing- Ah dad can I have that, and as dads we always say sure It can be yours, but dad will take care of it until you get a little older
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
As soon as the fetus develops fingers the child is ready.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
My son just turned 10.  He loves to go to the range.  His favorite is the AR.  He has also shot my 1911s.  His hands aren't quite big enough yet.  We've just about convinced Mom, so I plan to get him a Ruger MKII and a 20ga pump for Christmas.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My grandfather gave me his 30-30 when I was 5 or 6 but didn't get to shoot it until about 8 or 9.  My other grandfather bought me my first shotgun when I turned 7.  A .410 single shot from Sears...still have them both and would not part ways with them for anything!!!  Went squirrel hunting with my dad the day after I got the .410 and killed 6 squirrels with it.  First time I ever went hunting!!!  I don't know who was happier...me or my dad!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#21]
.............11........[shotgun]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As soon as the fetus develops fingers the child is ready.
View Quote

Yep, I'm with Scarecrow on this.  It's a relatively common occurence for children to be given property at a very young age via inheritance and so on.  The property is typically held in trust for the child, often by the parent, until the minor is old enough to use it.  I suppose that might cause problems for certain poorly planned and executed firearm registry systems, but so be it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top