Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2001 6:36:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe its similar to my Express 870 Turkey gun. I'll call it a matte finish and is very close to what is on my VS. I prefer it over the regular blued finish. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
M4, sorry I missed your reply, I am not sure how similiar it is.If you can, try to get to a gunshop and fondle an 870. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
remington calls it matte [shotgun]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
For "sporting guns" I definitely prefer the elegant looks of deep, rich bluing and High gloss, hand checkered walnut. For practical purposes I prefer the cheaper less attractive finishes, I'm always a little afraid to take a pretty gun afield.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
its called "non-reflective matte"  and i would very much recommend NOT getting it.

i had an 11-87 special purpose with that finninsh.  i loved the look of the gun, however, the finninsh was very condusive for rust to form on the steel parts.  espically when i was living in the carolinas and the humidity was a bit high, the thing would rust up after 2-3 weeks of a good cleaning and oiling.  

i had a friend in school that was having the same sort of problems.  he had the gun finished witha  teflon coating, but i just opted to trade the gun for a benelli montefeltro (aluminum reciever).  not only is the rust no longer a problem, but the gun is much lighter.  sloth
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto on the rusting.  I have an 11-87 Police.  It's one of my favorite guns.  I shoot skeet with it all the time, and I have a Berreta sporting clays O/U!  Mine has rust on the side of the receiver.  It's the only rusting gun I own, and I take good care of it.  I'd like to have it refinished, but don't want to be without out it.  When I get back from skeet shooting I load it back up with buck shot and put it in the bedroom closet.  This thing has NEVER jammed on me with any ammo.  Great gun, poor finish.

Luke  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if I have the same finish on my guns. The VS and 870 Express have a matte finish which I think prevents rusting vs standard blued guns.
But, I am in PA., so the lack of humidity could be the reason. I do know that I've forgotten to wipe down my 870 after handling the metal and when I go back to oil it several days later it still hasn't rusted. This is during the Summertime.
The matte works so well, (and looks kewl also)  I'd like to get my VLS finished like that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Never had any problems with my Rem 11-87 SP (configured as a Police) & 870 Riot that have these finish. The 11-87 still looks as it did when I purchased it about 8 yrs ago with hundreds of rounds through it. No rust.

I have some wear marks on the 11-87 receiver where I used to have a side-saddle on it. But its minor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Note that the matte black oxide finish of the Express and Special Purpose guns is different from the parkerizing of the Police guns.  Neither, however, offers much rust protection.  Oil is necessary for that, or a finish that seals the metal from the air (like a coating).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top